Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   National Champion ...legit? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/192897-national-champion-legit.html)

Ratickle 08-11-2008 02:14 PM

If you are the only one who shows, so be it. Still built, maintained, raced, and won, not your problem. The only thing I don't like, is you should have to finish at least one lap under your own power, not pushed across the start, etc.

I also think the rules for classes should be implemented at least two seasons ahead of time and frozen unless an engine/drive manufacturer goes out of business and you can't meet the class rules. That way you would eliminate the boats being built first and the class following. How many years did NASCAR work on the new car?

The last thing, even though there are several organizations, can't they implement the same class equipment rules so the boats could cross run organization races? Then the world's would mean something again.

T2x 08-11-2008 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by C_Spray (Post 2650478)
First of all, congratulations on another racing milestone. :drink:

I believe that Formula did win the F-2 championship in 2000 (against real competition)with the 382 model, a boat that is essentially unchanged since then. I'm not saying that Treadwell's F-2 boat was structurally the same as a production boat, but in theory the hulls are the same shape. Granted, that was almost 10 years ago, but is there a statute of limitations on accomplishments?

Disclaimer: I own a Formula 382....:food-smiley-007:

Back to the point of this thread: I agree that there are too many classes, sanctioning organizations and championships to make the claim really meaningful. Reggie's end-of-season ads in particular are an exercise in Trivial Pursuit.

Me? I'm entering the Susqehanna-to-Fairlee Grand Prix this weekend. The exact time and course will be kept secret until the event is over, but will be revealed in my press release.....

C:

Good points as always. I do recall when Formula descended on boat racing a few years back and dueled Reggie's minions PR-A-PR and golf shirt to golf shirt for bragging rights. Both companies claimed absolute dominance in the Factory 2 class and set the standards for "victory by ad agency" racing to this day.

T2x 08-11-2008 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by 7xchamp (Post 2650473)
I am going to be very careful on this topic.

Somehow I never learned how to do that........

T2x

T2x 08-11-2008 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Ratickle (Post 2650575)
If you are the only one who shows, so be it. Still built, maintained, raced, and won, not your problem. The only thing I don't like, is you should have to finish at least one lap under your own power, not pushed across the start, etc.

Great!

In that case I am no longer merely the Babylon Harbor World Champion 8/10/08..28 Skater class.

I am now officially the Worldwide World Champion 8/10/08 ...28 Skater Class...since, through no fault of mine, no Europeans or Asians showed up yesterday while I was out "racing".....:D:D:D

I did average over 108..........

Man! I'm impressive!

T2x

TGC-32 08-11-2008 03:11 PM

T2x, I am always impressed with you.

I think that my offshore racing career is truly the most impressive, however. I raced for nearly twenty years and won more than few races, but NEVER won a world or national title. Now THAT is difficult in today's racing environment!

Tom

7xchamp 08-11-2008 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Ratickle (Post 2650575)

I also think the rules for classes should be implemented at least two seasons ahead of time and frozen unless an engine/drive manufacturer goes out of business and you can't meet the class rules. That way you would eliminate the boats being built first and the class following. How many years did NASCAR work on the new car?

The last thing, even though there are several organizations, can't they implement the same class equipment rules so the boats could cross run organization races? Then the world's would mean something again.

The rules of past were stedfast, there used to be homologation of motors boats etc. the rules didn`t change much. Open class was 1000 cu in. naturally aspirated and max length 40`. Of course there were plenty of tech pages to keep everyone straight. Technical inspections in Europe could take hours, when complete you got a certificate that had to be carried on board etc. Every race was a complete inspection. I used to carry a rule book with me always at races.
Tom Gentry was an absolute advocate for the UIM rule, and thought that should be supreme as it was, and everyone adapted to it. Then under those rules everyone in the world raced, the british ran there shead and Cougar boats, the Italians ran there CUV`s, and the americans ran the Cigarette`s. Most everyone ran same Merc or Aeromarine power packages, and various teams won, Sometimes the Italians, with home port advantage, same with British etc. With the different deigners and manufacturers building under same basic guidlines it gave way to true world champions and true competition, as in champion of the world.
We used to have organizers who were dictators, there was one way there way, and drivers crew etc. had no power and no say over that, they ran the race by the interpretation of the rule book, either UIM, APBA or both.

Waterdogs 08-11-2008 03:36 PM

Are there currently any UIM world championship races in the states? The APBA raced in Pittsburg years back at the sea food festival. We attended with neighbors, it was around the 9th of September and was always on our calender. A few years back they changed it to a "boats of thunder" ( I think thats what they called it) event and not knowing what that was, we stopped going.

T2x 08-11-2008 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by TGC-32 (Post 2650644)
I raced for nearly twenty years and won more than few races, but NEVER won a world or national title. Now THAT is difficult in today's racing environment!

Tom

Difficult??????

I believe it violates rule 118 b:: II....to wit:

"Every racer who pays travel and hotel bills, purchases fuel from the designated supplier, displays proper "brand" decals, laughs at inane jokes while lubricated with alcohol at the official parties, and makes an earnest attempt at fitting into a class which is indistinguishable to the viewer or "fan" from most others, shall be deemed to be a World Champion after completion of at least one launching at a sanctioned, or unsanctioned race site, or general proximity thereof, at or near a scheduled race date.....

Note (A): All previous rules which required the actual racing of a boat and victory over one or more other boats are hereby rescinded and determined to be null and void as of the date hereof.

Note (B): All references to the terms "race", "racing", "overtaking", "crossing the finish line in front of", and "competition" are hereby removed.

Note (C): All references to the finishing positions "2nd place" and lower, are hereby stricken and replaced with "First place in another class which is yet to be determined or defined."

Note (D): The following language shall be inserted under the rule heading "Bracket Racing"-"No one shall exceed a pre set GPS speed as secretly set in an officially authorized device of unknown origin and control". "No competitor shall have access to records from any such devices, and any racer attempting to pass another shall be deemed to have "Broken out" and must be penalized according to his or her success in that endeavor."

Tom:

Based on the above, your lack of Championships is not difficult, it is, in fact, an impossible feat....and I applaud you.

T2x.......... World wide World Champion 8/10/08...Babylon Harbor 28 Skater class (bald division)

BAJA WILL 08-11-2008 03:58 PM

I miss F1 and F 2, I could understand, it was fun, and affordable, F1 and F 2 the good old days:evilb:

TGC-32 08-11-2008 04:02 PM

T2x:

Thanks! So, by my calculations, never having won a world or national championship when it it so obviously difficult to NOT win one, should make me the "interstellar galactic" champion! What an accomplishment!

I have to go get the T-shirts printed. My wife is going to be so proud of me!

Tom
Total Marine