Light Duty Anchors......Fortress >

Light Duty Anchors......Fortress

Notices

Light Duty Anchors......Fortress

Old 06-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Light Duty Anchors......Fortress

I have a Fortress anchor for my 35' Sonic..... this anchor is rated for a 35' to 40' boat........ the anchor sets 1st shot in our muddy bottoms and holds well...... My problem is I hate lugging the thing out of the cabin and pulling it up when done for the day. I was considering getting the same anchor but much smaller. I usually only anchor on calm days in semi closed bays...... anyone else use an anchor that is under rated for there boat.......?? How does it hold on calm days....?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:16 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I carry a second smaller anchor just like you describe......ususally use it to anchor the rear of the boat when backed up to the beach though. It would hold as you describe if needed.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:23 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Yep, I carry a Fortress conservetively rated for the boat and another small anchor, with smaller line, that I use as a "day anchor"...

Originally Posted by Here's Johnny
I have a Fortress anchor for my 35' Sonic..... this anchor is rated for a 35' to 40' boat........ the anchor sets 1st shot in our muddy bottoms and holds well...... My problem is I hate lugging the thing out of the cabin and pulling it up when done for the day. I was considering getting the same anchor but much smaller. I usually only anchor on calm days in semi closed bays...... anyone else use an anchor that is under rated for there boat.......?? How does it hold on calm days....?
Old 06-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

I threw away my Fortress anchor and got a Box Anchor and it was the best boating accessory purchase I ever made. I got the large one and it worked great, however many here use the smaller one with equal results. The large is probably 1000 time heavier than your Fortress, but the small might be the ticket. Maybe someone will chime in here if they own one.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:49 AM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

I have an aluminum Fortress (don't remember the model), it breaks down and is stowed in it's own slim nylon carry case and I store it in one of side gunnels. It takes about 90 seconds to put together to drop into the water.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by J.B. Marshall
I have an aluminum Fortress (don't remember the model), it breaks down and is stowed in it's own slim nylon carry case and I store it in one of side gunnels. It takes about 90 seconds to put together to drop into the water.
I use the FX-16 and you can break it down and store it in the carry bag, also carry the Commando as a second anchor for when you back up to the beach, perfect set up.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:41 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

A small box anchor would do.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Registered

I have a large box anchor and use to use it on my old 25'.... It would catch first shot but with the mud on the south shore I would always drift throughout the day. I think I am gonna try the small Fortress... My current one holds like I was tied to a building..... A small one should hold me on calm days.... Thanks guys......
Old 06-02-2009, 01:15 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by BeakBoater35
Yep, I carry a Fortress conservetively rated for the boat and another small anchor, with smaller line, that I use as a "day anchor"...
same here. on the 38 i have the correct sized anchor for the boat and a smaller one that i use most of the time. In fact i think i have only had the big one out like once or twice to hold a big raft line. If its to rough out there for me to set with the small anchor i'm probably not gonna be out there anyway, thats no fun. I do keep a big one stowed for emergency use.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 06-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
same here. on the 38 i have the correct sized anchor for the boat and a smaller one that i use most of the time. In fact i think i have only had the big one out like once or twice to hold a big raft line. If its to rough out there for me to set with the small anchor i'm probably not gonna be out there anyway, thats no fun. I do keep a big one stowed for emergency use.
sounds like a plan....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.