Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who's running a #6 in a single engine application >

Who's running a #6 in a single engine application

Notices

Who's running a #6 in a single engine application

Old 09-02-2009, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

I am using a #6 in a single v-bottom. We did not move the engine but instead put the transmission in a standoff box. I wouldn't change a thing.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by check300
I am using a #6 in a single v-bottom. We did not move the engine but instead put the transmission in a standoff box. I wouldn't change a thing.
Thanks for the good news, I am glad that it is working out for you so well, that is where the transmission is going to go in the standoff box...
Old 09-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very cool. I didn't even know anyone was offering a standoff box to hold a trans for a six. Is the box an off the shelf part, or did you custom make it? This seems like a great idea for the smaller boats, with less engine compartment space to work with.

Darrell.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Redline, you stated that the Xpower wasn't going to work. I'm just curious to what were the problems they had with the single engine cat set up? Was it stability, getting on plane or?????? It seems like a great drive, but I simply do not know anything about it.

Darrell.

PS: sorry for the bold type. Not sure what the hell I did there.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Registered

Weight shouldnt be an issue but it may make the boat handle a bit differently. JC went from a bravo to a 6 and mine always had a 6. He can comment on differences. Just add some more power so compensate for the 200 pound increase. No biggie. I will never own a go fast bravo boat.

My only issue was drive height and I tried a bunch of diffreent spacers and should have left it alone. Was tinkering with trying to make my 6 a true surface drive and it didnt work. Went back to original set up when I bought it. Props are way more expensive and I would ONLY go with a right hand rotation.

There is a cat guy here from out West running a 26 or 29 DCB with about 1400 hp I bought a propfrom that has done a ton of R&D.

Plus the cool factor is major
Attached Thumbnails Who's running a #6 in a single engine application-dsc00912.jpg   Who's running a #6 in a single engine application-dsc00913.jpg   Who's running a #6 in a single engine application-slim-small.jpg  

Old 09-02-2009, 03:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DMOORE
Redline, you stated that the Xpower wasn't going to work. I'm just curious to what were the problems they had with the single engine cat set up? Was it stability, getting on plane or?????? It seems like a great drive, but I simply do not know anything about it.

Darrell.

PS: sorry for the bold type. Not sure what the hell I did there.
Well a friend of mine bought 1 and spent about 2 solid weeks trying to dial it in, plus Xpower want be the ones to do everything, they don't want you to fool with it, IMO that is BS I am not going to move to Ca just so everytime I want to change a spacer they have to do it, dont get me wrong the drive is bad azz but I don't see 35,000 worth there, and you still have the weak link of the gimble ring. He finaly put his MMW drive back on the boat for LOTO, there just are not enough of the Xpower drives out there I think just 3 or 4 boats are running them, and none of them are on a single engine setup
Old 09-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by masher44
Weight shouldnt be an issue but it may make the boat handle a bit differently. JC went from a bravo to a 6 and mine always had a 6. He can comment on differences. Just add some more power so compensate for the 200 pound increase. No biggie. I will never own a go fast bravo boat.

My only issue was drive height and I tried a bunch of diffreent spacers and should have left it alone. Was tinkering with trying to make my 6 a true surface drive and it didnt work. Went back to original set up when I bought it. Props are way more expensive and I would ONLY go with a right hand rotation.

There is a cat guy here from out West running a 26 or 29 DCB with about 1400 hp I bought a propfrom that has done a ton of R&D.

Plus the cool factor is major
I here ya dude, I just wish I would have done it right the first time but you know haw it is, "OUR DRIVE WILL HANDLE IT...NO PROBLEM" Just a bunch of BS...
Old 09-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMOORE
Very cool. I didn't even know anyone was offering a standoff box to hold a trans for a six. Is the box an off the shelf part, or did you custom make it? This seems like a great idea for the smaller boats, with less engine compartment space to work with.

Darrell.
Here is Check300's set up, runs triple digits too

As for the box it was Designed by Tom Earhart, and he had BAM build it, BAM, had Stellings Marine build it now we have have Stellings Marine Extension boxes.

Now you know the rest of the story

So if your order your Stellings Stand off Box you will have to make a few adjustments to the flange for clearance.

The early boxes like this one pictured were all hand fabricated
Now they are all cast.

Jon
Attached Thumbnails Who's running a #6 in a single engine application-bill_checkmate1.jpg   Who's running a #6 in a single engine application-bill_checkmate3.jpg  
Old 09-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

I will disagree on the weight not being a problem. I have owned a few cats 24 and 25' They were very sensitive to extra weight hanging off the back. I was running twin 2.5's that only weigh 350 lbs each. Adding setback changes the center of gravity a lot. Adding just a few inches of setback on a outboard boats makes big chenges. You are adding about 12 inches with a box. You will also have a 100 lb transmission and a 350 lb drive to the back of the boat. I have noticed the difference in how a 40' cat will ride with the engines mounted on the transom or moved forward. Big differences. The tail heavy boat will pop the nose up every time you hit a wave. Can be very scary.
Is there no way to move the engine forward?
Old 09-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow
I will disagree on the weight not being a problem. I have owned a few cats 24 and 25' They were very sensitive to extra weight hanging off the back. I was running twin 2.5's that only weigh 350 lbs each. Adding setback changes the center of gravity a lot. Adding just a few inches of setback on a outboard boats makes big chenges. You are adding about 12 inches with a box. You will also have a 100 lb transmission and a 350 lb drive to the back of the boat. I have noticed the difference in how a 40' cat will ride with the engines mounted on the transom or moved forward. Big differences. The tail heavy boat will pop the nose up every time you hit a wave. Can be very scary.
Is there no way to move the engine forward?
Already have alot hanging off of the back, the MMW drive weighs in @ 200lbs then heavy duty gimble and standoff box I should be a little over 300lbs now...plus this boat acts the same with or without the standoff box.
Attached Thumbnails Who's running a #6 in a single engine application-heading-river-002.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.