Like Tree0Likes

Who's running a #6 in a single engine application

Reply
Old 09-02-2009, 02:25 PM
  #61
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Michigan
My Boats: 43 Checkmate Punisher
Posts: 316
Default

I am using a #6 in a single v-bottom. We did not move the engine but instead put the transmission in a standoff box. I wouldn't change a thing.
check300 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:44 PM
  #62
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denham Springs La.
My Boats: 2008 26' Revolution Performance Marine
Posts: 606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by check300 View Post
I am using a #6 in a single v-bottom. We did not move the engine but instead put the transmission in a standoff box. I wouldn't change a thing.
Thanks for the good news, I am glad that it is working out for you so well, that is where the transmission is going to go in the standoff box...
26 REDLINE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:33 PM
  #63
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
My Boats: Advantage 28ft Sport Cat w/ pair of 8's
Posts: 989
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by check300 View Post
I am using a #6 in a single v-bottom. We did not move the engine but instead put the transmission in a standoff box. I wouldn't change a thing.

Very cool. I didn't even know anyone was offering a standoff box to hold a trans for a six. Is the box an off the shelf part, or did you custom make it? This seems like a great idea for the smaller boats, with less engine compartment space to work with.


Darrell.
DMOORE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:37 PM
  #64
Registered
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
My Boats: Advantage 28ft Sport Cat w/ pair of 8's
Posts: 989
Default

Redline, you stated that the Xpower wasn't going to work. I'm just curious to what were the problems they had with the single engine cat set up? Was it stability, getting on plane or?????? It seems like a great drive, but I simply do not know anything about it.




Darrell.


PS: sorry for the bold type. Not sure what the hell I did there.
DMOORE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:41 PM
  #65
Registered
 
masher44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,076
Default

Weight shouldnt be an issue but it may make the boat handle a bit differently. JC went from a bravo to a 6 and mine always had a 6. He can comment on differences. Just add some more power so compensate for the 200 pound increase. No biggie. I will never own a go fast bravo boat.

My only issue was drive height and I tried a bunch of diffreent spacers and should have left it alone. Was tinkering with trying to make my 6 a true surface drive and it didnt work. Went back to original set up when I bought it. Props are way more expensive and I would ONLY go with a right hand rotation.

There is a cat guy here from out West running a 26 or 29 DCB with about 1400 hp I bought a propfrom that has done a ton of R&D.

Plus the cool factor is major
Attached Thumbnails
Who's running a #6 in a single engine application-dsc00912.jpg   Who's running a #6 in a single engine application-dsc00913.jpg   Who's running a #6 in a single engine application-slim-small.jpg  

masher44 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:48 PM
  #66
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denham Springs La.
My Boats: 2008 26' Revolution Performance Marine
Posts: 606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMOORE View Post
Redline, you stated that the Xpower wasn't going to work. I'm just curious to what were the problems they had with the single engine cat set up? Was it stability, getting on plane or?????? It seems like a great drive, but I simply do not know anything about it.




Darrell.


PS: sorry for the bold type. Not sure what the hell I did there.
Well a friend of mine bought 1 and spent about 2 solid weeks trying to dial it in, plus Xpower want be the ones to do everything, they don't want you to fool with it, IMO that is BS I am not going to move to Ca just so everytime I want to change a spacer they have to do it, dont get me wrong the drive is bad azz but I don't see 35,000 worth there, and you still have the weak link of the gimble ring. He finaly put his MMW drive back on the boat for LOTO, there just are not enough of the Xpower drives out there I think just 3 or 4 boats are running them, and none of them are on a single engine setup
26 REDLINE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 04:52 PM
  #67
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denham Springs La.
My Boats: 2008 26' Revolution Performance Marine
Posts: 606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by masher44 View Post
Weight shouldnt be an issue but it may make the boat handle a bit differently. JC went from a bravo to a 6 and mine always had a 6. He can comment on differences. Just add some more power so compensate for the 200 pound increase. No biggie. I will never own a go fast bravo boat.

My only issue was drive height and I tried a bunch of diffreent spacers and should have left it alone. Was tinkering with trying to make my 6 a true surface drive and it didnt work. Went back to original set up when I bought it. Props are way more expensive and I would ONLY go with a right hand rotation.

There is a cat guy here from out West running a 26 or 29 DCB with about 1400 hp I bought a propfrom that has done a ton of R&D.

Plus the cool factor is major
I here ya dude, I just wish I would have done it right the first time but you know haw it is, "OUR DRIVE WILL HANDLE IT...NO PROBLEM" Just a bunch of BS...
26 REDLINE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:53 PM
  #68
Registered
 
cougarman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Michigan
My Boats: 1986 Cougar US-1 46'
Posts: 2,765
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by check300
I am using a #6 in a single v-bottom. We did not move the engine but instead put the transmission in a standoff box. I wouldn't change a thing.



Quote:
Originally Posted by DMOORE View Post
Very cool. I didn't even know anyone was offering a standoff box to hold a trans for a six. Is the box an off the shelf part, or did you custom make it? This seems like a great idea for the smaller boats, with less engine compartment space to work with.


Darrell.
Here is Check300's set up, runs triple digits too

As for the box it was Designed by Tom Earhart, and he had BAM build it, BAM, had Stellings Marine build it now we have have Stellings Marine Extension boxes.

Now you know the rest of the story

So if your order your Stellings Stand off Box you will have to make a few adjustments to the flange for clearance.

The early boxes like this one pictured were all hand fabricated
Now they are all cast.


Jon
Attached Thumbnails
Who's running a #6 in a single engine application-bill_checkmate1.jpg   Who's running a #6 in a single engine application-bill_checkmate3.jpg  
cougarman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:01 PM
  #69
Registered
 
Brad Zastrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: McHenry, Illinois
Posts: 2,244
Default

I will disagree on the weight not being a problem. I have owned a few cats 24 and 25' They were very sensitive to extra weight hanging off the back. I was running twin 2.5's that only weigh 350 lbs each. Adding setback changes the center of gravity a lot. Adding just a few inches of setback on a outboard boats makes big chenges. You are adding about 12 inches with a box. You will also have a 100 lb transmission and a 350 lb drive to the back of the boat. I have noticed the difference in how a 40' cat will ride with the engines mounted on the transom or moved forward. Big differences. The tail heavy boat will pop the nose up every time you hit a wave. Can be very scary.
Is there no way to move the engine forward?
Brad Zastrow is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:32 PM
  #70
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Denham Springs La.
My Boats: 2008 26' Revolution Performance Marine
Posts: 606
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow View Post
I will disagree on the weight not being a problem. I have owned a few cats 24 and 25' They were very sensitive to extra weight hanging off the back. I was running twin 2.5's that only weigh 350 lbs each. Adding setback changes the center of gravity a lot. Adding just a few inches of setback on a outboard boats makes big chenges. You are adding about 12 inches with a box. You will also have a 100 lb transmission and a 350 lb drive to the back of the boat. I have noticed the difference in how a 40' cat will ride with the engines mounted on the transom or moved forward. Big differences. The tail heavy boat will pop the nose up every time you hit a wave. Can be very scary.
Is there no way to move the engine forward?
Already have alot hanging off of the back, the MMW drive weighs in @ 200lbs then heavy duty gimble and standoff box I should be a little over 300lbs now...plus this boat acts the same with or without the standoff box.
Attached Thumbnails
Who's running a #6 in a single engine application-heading-river-002.jpg  
26 REDLINE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.