Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   advice on first go fast boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/230693-advice-first-go-fast-boat.html)

berfbong 05-24-2010 11:10 AM

I found an 02 29ft wellcraft with 148hrs on twin 350 for 34k. I like the look of the boat but is under powered. Because the other two Choices are the 28 pantera and a 28zx donzi. Any thoughts?

Uncle Dave 05-24-2010 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by berfbong (Post 3118357)
I found an 02 29ft wellcraft with 148hrs on twin 350 for 34k. I like the look of the boat but is under powered. Because the other two Choices are the 28 pantera and a 28zx donzi. Any thoughts?

Of those 3 the Pantera is likely the best choice.

Uncle Dave

Brad Zastrow 05-24-2010 11:18 AM

Why do you say the boat is under powered? Most boats that size only have one big block. I would think that boat will run 70 mph with stock small blocks. There were some 29 Scarabs with twin small blocks and the Blackhawk drives that were really fast. Great package!!

SkaterMike82 05-24-2010 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 3118362)
Of those 3 the Pantera is the best choice.

Uncle Dave

+ 1

Griff 05-26-2010 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by berfbong (Post 3118357)

Not underpowered at all.

Uncle Dave 05-27-2010 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Griff (Post 3120206)
Not underpowered at all.

Agreed, a twin SB 29 would not be underpowered and with a few dollars in heads and intake could likely be a screamer providing the base blocks and rotating assemblies are in decent shape and it has bravos.

a Major reason to consider the Pantera over the other 2 is the custom nature of the builds from the beginning are very stout and the relationship you can forge with the Nunez family vs being just a hull # at the other 2 places.

The guys that built the Donzi or the Scarab arent likely to even be around anymore.

Good luck!

UD

BCrosscheck10 05-31-2010 04:28 AM

I too am a new boater looking to buy my first boat.. I like what I see/hear with Pantera!! But I'm gonna stick with a 24' not a balla quite yet and the waters are a lot calmer in the Destin sound. Plus I only have two weel drive and I'm not sure my truck can pull a 28' out of the water.

birdog 05-31-2010 07:32 AM

A very nice 28 Cig just poped up for sale.....Ask Thrillseeker if a 28 Cig can run with the big boys on Erie !:drink:

ZXXX Donzi 05-31-2010 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 3121256)
Agreed, a twin SB 29 would not be underpowered and with a few dollars in heads and intake could likely be a screamer providing the base blocks and rotating assemblies are in decent shape and it has bravos.

a Major reason to consider the Pantera over the other 2 is the custom nature of the builds from the beginning are very stout and the relationship you can forge with the Nunez family vs being just a hull # at the other 2 places.

The guys that built the Donzi or the Scarab arent likely to even be around anymore.

Good luck!

UD

Are you sure that the guys that built the Donzi ZX are not around anymore?

Additionally there are two forums dedicated to Donzi boats and one has a ZX section where a number of people post that have done everything mild to wild with that hull.

As a matter of fact donzi.org just started the ZX section and there are people there that can tell you pretty much anything you want to know.

Uncle Dave 05-31-2010 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi (Post 3123448)
Are you sure that the guys that built the Donzi ZX are not around anymore?

Additionally there are two forums dedicated to Donzi boats and one has a ZX section where a number of people post that have done everything mild to wild with that hull.

As a matter of fact donzi.org just started the ZX section and there are people there that can tell you pretty much anything you want to know.

Am I sure the original crew isnt there now? Not specifically. You seem to be well informed - are they? has this crew been around 10-20 years?

With as many boats as they have made they have a large following- Im not debating that. Im saying that I think the owners of Pantera will be easier to deal with and that he would be part of a very close knit family.

As far as Donzi is concerned- somethings going on over there thats really not good.

I am sure that this guy ordered a new 27 and not only couldn't get delivery of it, but Donzi lied to him repeatedly about the production schedule.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...i-27zr-12.html

I doubt the Nunez crew would have treated him like Donzi did.
Im not saying Donzi makes a bad boat, I think they make a fine craft- but the current guys running it arent straight shooters - at least with this guy.

Note Im not here pimping my own pet brand.

I think the poster is showing good judgement by taking it easy although after a short time he'll want more boat length.

I stand by my recommendation.

Uncle Dave