Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   advice on first go fast boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/230693-advice-first-go-fast-boat.html)

Steve 1 05-31-2010 09:47 AM

That Teak cabin door is a hoot.

Uncle Dave 05-31-2010 09:49 AM

....and the teak headboard in the stabin cabin.

UD

Steve 1 05-31-2010 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 3123492)
....and the teak headboard in the stabin cabin.

UD

LOL Teak Veneer plywood big item,only thing missing is the box for the door louvers when they all fall out after the first hard launch.I did replacements in a sunburst pattern on the larger Cigarettes that gave some diagonal support.

dreamer 05-31-2010 10:10 AM

NEVER has one louver come out

turbo rr 05-31-2010 10:27 AM

[QUOTE=Ran-Dom 32;3116364]

Originally Posted by Sick Stinger (Post 3116136)
Ran sorry about that. I did miss read it my fault. As for the paint M.T, get some serios cash for a paint job from what im told. I know Strip Poker just had the 388 painted said it wasnt cheap but spot on to what he wanted.
a bit OT
Mitcher T was the best person I have ever dealt with in the marine industry, I set my budget, & he told me up front what he could do for x amount, showed me a rendering & the boat was done on time as promised, I would definitely recommend him.
http://s921.photobucket.com/albums/a...n.jpg&newest=1

this was a 6k job

6k for a hull and deck with graphics paint job? Thats nothing short of amazing.

ZXXX Donzi 05-31-2010 11:46 AM

Loving that Cig SS though. I came real close to doing one of those once. Really cool boats. That is a DEAL.

I am considering something like that or a classic Magnum for my next project. Wow the thought of having an SS or Magnum tied up on one side of my 60' Chris Roamer and my 1973 X-18 Donzi tied up on the other.....way cool.

ZXXX Donzi 05-31-2010 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 3123473)
Am I sure the original crew isnt there now? Not specifically. You seem to be well informed - are they? has this crew been around 10-20 years?

With as many boats as they have made they have a large following- Im not debating that. Im saying that I think the owners of Pantera will be easier to deal with and that he would be part of a very close knit family.

As far as Donzi is concerned- somethings going on over there thats really not good.

I am sure that this guy ordered a new 27 and not only couldn't get delivery of it, but Donzi lied to him repeatedly about the production schedule.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...i-27zr-12.html

I doubt the Nunez crew would have treated him like Donzi did.
Im not saying Donzi makes a bad boat, I think they make a fine craft- but the current guys running it arent straight shooters - at least with this guy.

Note Im not here pimping my own pet brand.

I think the poster is showing good judgement by taking it easy although after a short time he'll want more boat length.

I stand by my recommendation.

Uncle Dave

Yes Dave, I know the story and and also know a little something about the ZX.

That story when Donzi was on the fritz like many other boat companies. It is a bad story and I am sure that they are not happy either. They have funding now and have shifted to more of a custom plan. They are even helping folks get info on older Donzi's.

I do like Panteras too. Well built and great looks. I would own one.

No let me ask you one more time......are you SURE none of the original ZX guys are not at Donzi anymore? Are you SURE that the current owners were the owners when the ZR story came out?

Uncle Dave 05-31-2010 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by ZXXX Donzi (Post 3123558)

No let me ask you one more time......are you SURE none of the original ZX guys are not at Donzi anymore? Are you SURE that the current owners were the owners when the ZR story came out?

I used the word "likely"-why are you asking if Im sure?

- are you sure?

You seem to have the inside track here as a Donzi guy- are they? Are they the same guys that lied to andy?

I have no dog in this fight. Ive never owned a Pantera, Donzi, or Scarab.

(when people say Scarab they probably mean by Wellcraft I was in a Wellcraft that had the seats rip out of their base in a turn-I cant recommend Wellcraft to the poster)

However - when it comes to Pantera the owners of this brand have nothing but praise for their relationship with this builder, and Ive seen these boats take a pounding.

My builder is kind of the West Coast version of Pantera, family owned and long lived, but Im not here to pimp my pet company.

The point behind my original recommendation between the three boats is that if possible, its good to be connected with the actual guys that built the boat you intend to buy. Buying a Pantera guarantees this connection. I know the Nunez family will know how a particular boat was constructed and have sound advice on basic work and be able to speak to the effectiveness of any mods to it.

Uncle Dave

rlj676 05-31-2010 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 3123580)
I used the word "likely"-why are you asking if Im sure?

- are you sure?

You seem to have the inside track here as a Donzi guy- are they? Are they the same guys that lied to andy?

I have no dog in this fight. Ive never owned a Pantera, Donzi, or Scarab.

(when people say Scarab they probably mean by Wellcraft I was in a Wellcraft that had the seats rip out of their base in a turn-I cant recommend Wellcraft to the poster)

However - when it comes to Pantera the owners of this brand have nothing but praise for their relationship with this builder, and Ive seen these boats take a pounding.

My builder is kind of the West Coast version of Pantera, family owned and long lived, but Im not here to pimp my pet company.

The point behind my original recommendation between the three boats is that if possible, its good to be connected with the actual guys that built the boat you intend to buy. Buying a Pantera guarantees this connection. I know the Nunez family will know how a particular boat was constructed and have sound advice on basic work and be able to speak to the effectiveness of any mods to it.

Uncle Dave

I completely understood what you meant, you clearly weren't ripping Donzi.:drink: The number of boats built by Pantera vs Donzi automatically increases the odds of the builder knowing the boat. Donzi is a production boat, a Pantera a custom ordered ride.

Also, since you don't want to show as a Lavey fanboy, I'll recommend them for you. A Lavey would be a great choice as well in these size ranges.