Page Motorsports in Key West >

Page Motorsports in Key West

Notices

Page Motorsports in Key West

Old 11-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveDavid
Over the past few days we've lost three really fine people in Offshore racing accidents in Key West. While we mourn their loss, I can't help but believe these tragedies might have been preventable. Racing always involves a risk, yet over the years, groups like UIM and APBA with the insight of Bob Wartinger, Ron Jones Sr, Jeff Neff, George Linder, Dave Vilwock, Mike Hanson, Scott Raney, Rich Luhrs... and others, we've developed safety standards in at least the Unlimited Hydroplane category that have been tested thru well over 100 accidents over 150 MPH. My crash in July was a direct T bone at over 100 MPH and both Dave Vilwock and I walked away. J.W Meyers hit the wall at Detroit at over 100 MPH and receievd a broken foot, and is back racing with us. These designs work. They are snug, with a top hatch and a bottom hatch. there is little room for extremity acceleration in a crash, we have HANS devices to protect our necks, full time air, multiple point harnesses, etc. The canopies used in Offshore racing face different loads and in my opinion, after 40 years of racing, aren't sufficient to meet the current speeds. They are too large, too much flat surface, and not enough structural support. We can do better, there are people in place that can make it better. As we mourn Bob, Jeff and Joey, let their deaths put a new emphasis on consolidating the safety expertise that is available and doing everything humanly possible to prevent future tragedies. Saying "it's just racing" or they "died doing what they loved" just doesn't cut it. I was with Joey Gratton and his kids in San Diego just 7 weeks ago, they didn't come any more professional, any more loving, any more of being the best at what he did. God, please take care of Joey and hold his family in your palm.
Something needs to be learned from this terrible loss, Steve is right on with this. I spent many years in Dragboat racing and even their capsules have to be certified every few years or after any event that could cause damage to them. My hopes is that offshore looks long and hard at this and with the great people in place something good comes out of something awful
Old 11-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I could not agree more with Steve David on the improvements to safety in all offshore racing boats. I must stop here an say though this is not the thread or place and time to get this topic going! Let the family and friends have there space and time to begin the slow process of healing and moving on.

Please
I would like to see Steve David and 7xchamp start a new thread on the OSO and take this subject to a new place, time and obvious importance in the sport.

Best Regards
Ray @ Raylar
Old 11-12-2011, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-switches.html

Last edited by MikeyFIN; 11-12-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Post moved to a more appropriate thread.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
I could not agree more with Steve David on the improvements to safety in all offshore racing boats. I must stop here an say though this is not the thread or place and time to get this topic going! Let the family and friends have there space and time to begin the slow process of healing and moving on.

Please
I would like to see Steve David and 7xchamp start a new thread on the OSO and take this subject to a new place, time and obvious importance in the sport.

Best Regards
Ray @ Raylar
No Comment !!!!!!!!! I`m done
Old 11-12-2011, 12:26 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

What a sad week for the sport we all love.My thoughts are with all of there family and friends. Tom
Old 11-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 46tomcat
What a sad week for the sport we all love.My thoughts are with all of there family and friends. Tom
Agreed Tom. Very sad.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Registered

Joey was a good friend and we will all miss him greatly. Our prayers go out to his family.

Jay Pilini
April Hoaglin
Spectre Offshore Performance
Old 11-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

R I P

Prayers out the Page Motorsports Team and their families.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Registered

How very very sad!
Prayers to all.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RIP Joey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.