Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Need some suggestions - CC w/outboards >

Need some suggestions - CC w/outboards

Notices

Need some suggestions - CC w/outboards

Old 09-11-2012, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to own a Scarab 32 CC.twin 225 Ordered My Custom 36 Concept Twin 250 Team LuckyStrike Loads of Pics in the Poker-Run last weekend @ Lake Havasu AZ. on riverdavesplace.com My boat goes back and forth from Lauderdale To PHX Az Ive taken that boat from Ocean Conditions to Shallow Water Running Up the Colorado River...Id Buy another In a Heart Beat...But with larger power
and No AC And No Flush Head...Great Boat Great Company
Contact Susan Patterson V.P. Tell her A.J. Sent you
Good-Luck with your buy
Old 09-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Registered

Smile

I should have added that I gained all my knowledge of outboards off the net so take it with a grain of salt,
Old 09-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was able to look at a 30 concept (Thanx showtime83). I think the 30 has all the cockpit room I need, and the cabin is big enough to spend the night in. But I think I am going to look for a 36'. I think I need just a little bit more cabin space. By pictures I have seen the 36' has about the same sized cabin as my Velocity 260 has, with a bit more head room in the bed area. My 260 doesn't have much head room at all..... But if I find a really nice 30' I may go that route... I do have a creative way of adding a cover to the front part of the cockpit to increase the covered area when overnighting..... But I will cross that bridge when I get there. First step is to sell the Velocity.....
Old 09-20-2012, 04:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pete280
I did a lot of research when I bought my CC this spring and the more your read about outboards the more confused you become. I ended up with 2007 225 Optimax's and love them so far, great on fuel and oil, no smoke and they are quiet especially compared to open exhaust.

Here is the lowdown based on my research

Merc - EFI - reliable but pigs
Merc - Opti- Must be 03 and newer older ones are called OptiBomb
Merc - Verado - 07 and newer Gen II is better, they worked out the kinks by then
Yami- HPDI - Bad
Yami - OX66- Reliable but pigs
Yami - F250 - Great Motor
Rude - Ficht - Bad
Rude - Etec - Good

I love my 30 Concept, never been on a 36 but have great things to say about the ride and fit and finish, you may want to consider some curtains, you get a lot more air in a CC than a go fast, I see your from MI and it might get pretty cold in a CC

BTW: I dont think your gonna overnight on a 302 Scarab, the cabin is smaller than your Velocity

I have to disagree with you, I have a 1999 302 scarab with 225 Fichts, and they are NOT bad motors as you describe above, they are the biggest pieces of chit I have ever owned !!! Its what sunk the company after all ... now I am repowering and staying with 2 strokes cause of the weight issue for me, and the E-Tec is a front runner so far !!!
Old 09-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Registered

Check out the hull truth.com, people are always selling motors, there is someone selling 300x's now for 15k each, 50 hrs with a full warranty, your boat with those motors would be sick
Old 10-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/18438

Looks like its right up your ally..
Old 10-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Registered

sweet boat, what props are those? I have the same motors except not Pro XS, I have 23p Mirage plus and will be changing to Bravo's,
Old 10-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

there are three 350 Verados for sale on Kingfish connection $41k for all three according to the post
Old 10-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Concept:
30- cabin
32- no cabin
36- cabin

My '07 326 with 300XS "cabin" is 3' long, head in the middle with small fiberglass bench on either side. Storage and that is about it. I "think" the 30 and 36 have the same cabin, you gain that extra 4' in cockpit space, not cabin space; but not 100% sure on that.

Originally Posted by low_psi
I have read that Concept doesn't use wood in it's construction. But what year did this start? With a Concept are there any areas of concern (construction wise)? If previous years used wood, were there concerns of rot? Since these are outboard boats, there is limited thru hull parts, therefore I would assume the risk of transom rot (if wood) would be minimal???

Are there any years that had more issues than others?
Concept went to 100% wood-free construction in 2001. The 1985-2000 Concepts still used brackets for the engines so if you are looking in those years, although I haven't heard of any particular issues, I would suspect if you were going to have an issue that is where it would be at. I am just assuming that but it seems to make perfect sense.

2002 the bracket was included in the LOA per Coast Guard regulations. That is why you see 28'-30', same boat, different rules.

Originally Posted by pasquesi
Go over to Boatfreaks and ask MarylandMark. He has extensive experience with Concept center consoles.
Thanks!!

Originally Posted by woodbr11
I own a 1999 302 which I bought new. Great boat and have had no troubles with the 225 optis. The only thing to watch out for with the Scarab is soft spots in cockpit floors.
BillR did a very nice re-firb on a 302 so may want to contact him for any trouble spots, not that I've ever heard of any. Nice boats, ahead of their time in my opinion.

Few other things:

2007 John Cosker of Mystic Powerboats designed a step in the 30'. The pre-step boats are nice but most of them porpoised once they got over the 65MPHish. Great boats, just weren't built to run with the higher output outboards produced these days, IMHO. Some people claim they have fixed the porpoise with props and set up and so on. I'd think if it were that easy, Concept would have gone that route without having to invest so much in to tooling and research to add a step. The 23', 27', 32' and 36' aren't stepped, have never been stepped and as far as I know aren't planned to be stepped. Clint in Maryland is running in the low 80's with a stepped 30' CC with 300 Verados. Nice!! Don't be scared of a pre-step 30' by any means what-so-ever, just pointing out a known "issue" if you will with them. I had a 2004 30' with 225 EFI's and loved it, 63MPH was smooth riding, could get to 67 while shaking up my drink (with a lid on it) at the same time.

2 strokes- I love them and I don't think adding oil is that big of a deal. My boat holds 212 gallons of fuel and has (2) 3 gallon oil tanks. That will get me around 450 miles at a 40MPH cruise and still have around 2 gallons of oil left. I carry 3 extra gallons of oil with me in the transom floor compartment which would get me another 450 miles after adding fuel. No biggie.

Concept vs others? I liked the little things such as finished floor compartments. No big deal, but have a kid reach in a floor compartment and get a nice fiberglass splinter and your weekend is shot. Wiring and finished is fantastic. Hardware is all heavy duty, heavier than I've seen on a LOT of big name boat. 3/8" I think?, all of it stainless, all of it through bolted, all of the cleats pop-up, etc. Just good stuff. Just seemed like a lot of "better" things for not much price increase. I say better because I don't think the others were junk by any means, just weren't as stout or neat or clean installed or whatever is all.

Now the new crop of performance CC's? NICE- but at 2-5 times the price they should be. Each has a place in the market but can't compare an 11' beam 40' with quads to a 36' including bracket 8' beam with twins boat. Whole different league.

Value of a used CC? I concentrate my search on fresher power. 60% power, 30% hull condition and 20% upholstery, stereo, GPS, etc.

Good luck!!

Last edited by marylandmark; 10-03-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

I guess I am missing something. If the cabin space is such a high priority, why go to a center console at all? The height is going to be severly compromised by the forward cockpit walking area by design.

Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.