Need some suggestions - CC w/outboards >

Need some suggestions - CC w/outboards

Notices

Need some suggestions - CC w/outboards

Old 10-04-2012, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,
I agree with everything that you said, Except mine is a 2000 and there is no wood that I can find and I have taken **** apart and crawled everywhere. Mine also says 28PF on the dash and 30 on the side so I think they made the changes in 2000.

I agree on the cabin space, if OP saw the 30' cabin and thinks he can sleep in it he is either A. Drunker than me B. Younger than me or C. Smaller than me (I'm 5'10"), I wanted a cabin for my 2 yr old to crash in, and store stuff, that's it.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete280
Mark,
I agree with everything that you said, Except mine is a 2000 and there is no wood that I can find and I have taken **** apart and crawled everywhere. Mine also says 28PF on the dash and 30 on the side so I think they made the changes in 2000.

I agree on the cabin space, if OP saw the 30' cabin and thinks he can sleep in it he is either A. Drunker than me B. Younger than me or C. Smaller than me (I'm 5'10"), I wanted a cabin for my 2 yr old to crash in, and store stuff, that's it.
I am 5'10, 190 lbs, 38 with multiple spinal fusions..... and i was able to fully stretch out in the 30' cabin. Is it a luxury suite with a king sized bed? No. But it is certainly big enough for two people to sleep in... When I overnight, I only need the cabin to crash in. I don't plan on eating breakfast in bed....
Old 10-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet boat, what props are those? I have the same motors except not Pro XS, I have 23p Mirage plus and will be changing to Bravo's,
they are 22p bravo 1s but if i were going to purchase a new set I would go with the hydromotive intimidator quad IV in a 23p to get a bit more transom lift
Old 10-04-2012, 07:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark,

Thanks for the wood-free info and I'll put that in my notes. I think the 30 on the side of your boat was a marketing idea and then in 2002+ dash panels reflect the change in the law. They all build to ABYC standards which I think go by Coast Guard regs (all of this is just what I've heard over the years and seems to make sense).

https://www.abycinc.org/committees/s-08.pdf

Originally Posted by fountain333
they are 22p bravo 1s but if i were going to purchase a new set I would go with the hydromotive intimidator quad IV in a 23p to get a bit more transom lift
Interesting. I never tried the QIV because my boat didn't like the extra stern lift the Rev 4's gave it.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:54 PM
Registered

just messing with you low-psi, I have trouble sleeping in my own comfy bed so I guess I am picky. I

Just ordered some new speakers and getting ready to order a new steering wheel!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:23 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marylandmark

BillR did a very nice re-firb on a 302 so may want to contact him for any trouble spots, not that I've ever heard of any. Nice boats, ahead of their time in my opinion.
Thanks!
The Scarab 302 is a great riding boat - that is saying something after coming out of a Top Gun. I personally don't know of any issues with these boats, but heard the same thing about soft spots in deck. Usually caused by someone drilling and not sealing their hole.

The cabin in these boats are a bit larger and two 6' people could sleep in there easily - plus the head room is more generous.

Mine runs almost 63 with 2 Evinrude 225 Fichts. My motors have been pretty darn problem free and they do sip the fuel.

The build of the boat seems to be pretty solid - I have been thru mine stem to stern. However, the Scarab 302 was made only to 2000 before Larry Smith didn't allow Wellcraft to re-up the contract between them. In 2000, wellcraft made LOTS of improvements to the boat - I guess they anticipated re-newing their Scarab agreement.

The lines of the boat are nice, but IMHO they need some graphics and color to make them look better.

The grey boat pic shows what I "think" i'd like to do graphics wise.
Attached Thumbnails Need some suggestions - CC w/outboards-img_1079.jpg   Need some suggestions - CC w/outboards-img_0141.jpg   Need some suggestions - CC w/outboards-img_0408.jpg  

Need some suggestions - CC w/outboards-img_1105.jpg   Need some suggestions - CC w/outboards-img_1106.jpg   Need some suggestions - CC w/outboards-img_1104.jpg  

Need some suggestions - CC w/outboards-img_0410.jpg   Need some suggestions - CC w/outboards-img_0970.jpg   Need some suggestions - CC w/outboards-img_1107.jpg  

Need some suggestions - CC w/outboards-img_1102.jpg  

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron

Last edited by BillR; 10-06-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks nice, Bill!
Old 10-06-2012, 01:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you buy a boat with an aluminum bracket it will corrode in salt water. Also all the mounting holes better be sealed up tight because it can be a source of transom rot from water intrusion.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by low_psi
I really don't mind adding oil if going two strokes. I have read there is a weight savings by removing the oil tanks and pumps and premixing, which is what I would do if I end up with 2 strokes.
This won't work on ETECs. The oil is directly injected through ports in the crank case and on the main bearings. I assume Optimaxes are the same. They are designed to inject pure gas (no oil) into the cylinders. If you disconnect the oil system and only mix oil with the gas, NO oil will make it to the crank and bearings.

Now for a carb motor or regular EFI, you can mix. DFI- no!
Old 10-07-2012, 06:08 AM
Registered

Dash looks great, do you like the 3 spoke wheel better than the fitted grips? I am getting ready to replace mine and go back and forth between the two.

Also, I ready to buy new props if you happen to stumble across any let me know, Bravo 22P.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.