outboard desicion : johnson or mercury? >

outboard desicion : johnson or mercury?

Notices

outboard desicion : johnson or mercury?

Old 08-10-2002, 01:11 AM
KN
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know anything about outboards, but have you looked at Honda's, I see they have a 225HP 4-Stroke. Anyone know anything about these? I wonder how a 28' Skater would run with a pair of Honda's on the back, you wouldn't have to worry about noise restrictions.

Kirk
Old 08-10-2002, 11:32 AM
Registered

thnx for all replies.

KN : these are not for me ,for a friend .will use them on a boston-whaler-type boat.

as I understood no one likes omc's 2 much.but however they have the best service in my country.very well organised with a price list ,all necessary special tools ,computers etc.

Mercury is the weakest one.they dont have anything.hand made special tools-no computer-individual price lists(lol) .plus you have to wait for spare parts.

yamaha: this is also amazing story .believe it or not but I still have small outboard from 70's .it still works!! no service -no nothing-regular gas-felt down many times-went underwater.....
unbelieveable things happened to that engine but still working.if the bigger engines are like this ,it would be perfect...

so the final idea I get from this tread is:
if weight and speed is not important as long-engine life : yamaha is what I am looking for.
but will check their service before the order

thank you all for sharing your ideas and your help
Old 08-10-2002, 05:38 PM
Banned

I had a 1988 Johnson on my center console for 13 years with no problems other than a tilt motor rusting thru. It was still running fine when I bought a new Johnson last year, I just wanted more power as the original was a 120 and it was underpowered for the boat, therefore had to work harder all the time and still held up. I looked at all of them, and the Johnson was around 2K less than a comparable Mercury. I don't know how hard they are to work on since I never had to for 13 years. Believe it or not, I never even changed the water impeller.
Old 08-12-2002, 08:56 AM
Registered

I have to agree with the merc boys on this one. parts are everywhere and they hold up great in all conditions.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:15 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Being that it has come up. There are many Aftermarket Parts companies out there. So no matter which outboard you choose, I feel you should be able to get the parts.... WWW.NJOUTBOARDS.COM

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 09-10-2002, 01:41 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Did I mention that Evinrude & Johnson now carry the best warranty in the industry??? 3 years on everything. No Decline Warranty.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 09-10-2002, 07:01 AM
Offshore Addiction

if your interested,I have access to left over and new yamahas at a tremendous savings,a company that has over 300 in stock....full warrenty....below dealer cost or right at it.....you just have to keep yamahas cleaninside and out,lack of maintenence causes severe corrosion and after many years,the bolts like to break.....I prefer mercury but these yamahas can be had at a steal deal.....813-247-3049,813-625-0831 ask for AL

Old 09-10-2002, 08:59 AM
BK
Registered

For the website of Hydro-Tec, the Yamaha high performance and rebuild center in the US --

www.hydrotecmarine.com

They've got lots of Yamaha goodies.

Hydro Tec Marine Performance / 865 W. Enterprise Lane / Nixa, MO. 65714 --- Phone (417)725-5746
[email protected]

also - here's the BMC (Bombarier Motor Corp) website for Johnson Motors:

http://www.johnson.com/