Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Johnson 225 outboard impeller replacement??? >

Johnson 225 outboard impeller replacement???

Notices

Johnson 225 outboard impeller replacement???

Old 11-03-2002, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Johnson 225 outboard impeller replacement???

I have a 2001 johnson 225 outboard and would like to put a new impeller in, anyone done this before? Difficult job to do myself or should it be sent to the dealer?
Old 11-03-2002, 10:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wrong board

No, really it's pretty easy. You just need to remove the lower unit and it's right on top, mounted around the driveshaft. Any of the manuals available will get you right through it-2 beer job max.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:01 AM
Registered

insptech, question for you..... I removed about 6 bolts from the lower unit and it lowered just an inch or two... I can see the impeller casing. The shift linkage is holding it up.... I don't see anywhere below to disconnect it in the lower.... I'm an I/O person... Outboards are new to me and it's my brothers..... Anyway, it appears that it can be disconnected up top. Seems there is a long rod maybe that comes up and connects uptop to one side of a rod. The other end of the 6" or so rod can be seen from the otherside of the motor and is on that side connected to the linkage/cable going to the throttle..... Now if I disconnect the connector where the rod comes up to the top, is there any issues with realignment and connecting when I put the lower back into place? And I guess if I want to remove the lower, I'll need to trim it up to get this 3' rod out.... I told him to get a manual, but he's not anticipating keeping the boat much longer.... Any experience you might have would be appreciated... Thanks!!!!
Old 05-05-2003, 06:33 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

looking at the port side of the engine,under the carbs and intake area, there is a hex head slotted screw. this is the pivot pin and must be removed to allow the gearcase to be removed.

it does not matter F/N/R just do not twist it as it has a specific length. the shift rod will come out with the gear case. undo the bolts retaining the housing and slide the assembly out.

now you can install your new water pump kit. do not be alarmed if your driveshaft wiggles it is a two piece shaft. if you are having trouble getting the impeller off the shaft just use a soft face or rubber hammer and strike it in the opposite rotation while holding the shaft with your hand.

upon reassembly DO NOT USE GREASE ON THE IMPELLER instead use liquid dish soap. high pressure grease on the shaft spines, gasket cement on the bolt threads, put the case up into place making sure the water tube starts into the pump. if you have to have some one turn the flywheel by hand to aid in spline engagement. long needle nose pliers just under the lower cowling should give you enough room to align the shift shaft. install the pivot bolt. check the shift operation too make sure you got it right.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:37 AM
Registered

Thanks for the insight!!!! Better safe than sorry!!! Your time is really appreciated!!!
Old 05-05-2003, 07:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mr V8 is right on and very thorough. One little trick I use for the shift pin-use a 1/4" drive swivel socket with little grease in it to hold the pin and slide it back in, makes it easy to thread and tighten in short order, you'll need it on a 12" extension or so.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Registered

Default Re: Johnson 225 outboard impeller replacement???

I am new to this forum and this is an old thread.. But i have a 1977 johnson 85hp and can't locate the shift pin.. can someone please help me... Thanks