2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon >

2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon

Notices

2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon

Old 11-06-2014, 10:12 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic30ss
It not how fast you run, it's how long you run fast!
Well... we know you ran long and fast enough.
Old 11-07-2014, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 227 Likes on 89 Posts

There is a lo res flyer that can be downloaded at. [url]www.nationalpowerboat.com

or just email Billy Frenz and he will send a high res that you can print out.....

I am getting a lot of chatter via cell phone on how excited people are that this race will happen again.

However, the manufacturers are very quiet. I think they are waiting to see who steps up first.

Also getting a lot of center console interest. Come on guys, I appreciate the phone calls but put it up here and see how it will be appreciated. I can really see a 30 plus starting field by next August 22nd.

How about some trading going on too...... One participant is looking for a tow from Florida up to NY and back. Maybe he might be interested in trading that work for a seat in hsi boat for the race. Somebody out there that really would like to do a race like this and has a big bad truck and some sfree time? Post it and we will see if we can match it up.

Last edited by Top Banana; 11-07-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How much fuel would it take for a old school straight bottom boat to go the 271 miles? 400 Gallons?

Last edited by 14 apache; 11-07-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 14 apache
How much fuel would it take for a old school straight bottom boat to go the 271 miles? 400 Gallons?
When you calculate your burn rate, don't use your highest number taken from your boat when you are flat out. Most of the time in the actual race, you will be running at less than full throttle because of water conditions. Rough and you will be less than full throttle and flat calm and you would breathe the engines every now and then so as to not overload them.

Think of a car engine of say 300 HP. It tkaes torque to get moving and going through the gears .......but once you get running on the highway at 65 or so .......you are actually only using 35 to 50 HP at a much lower RPM than where your red line is. A boat is different, but still not running at the red line the whole time.

My old 38 Top Banana had a burn rate of 110 gallons per hour at 6,000 RPM and I had the capability to carry 520 gallons on board. Most races we averaged in the 75 MPh range for the 200 plus mile distance. In the 2 plus hours I would probably burn close to three hundred gallons. Of course back then if it was rough, we started with full tanks and transferred fuel back and forth for balance....in the end of the race, if it was calm and we needed speed, we pumped the extra overboard while we ran. Different days today eh?

So in a long answer to your question, I would think that 400 gallon carrying capacity would give you enough fuel for the 271 miles.

Last edited by Top Banana; 11-08-2014 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
Here is the thread of mine and Glassdaves trip to sunny isles.. We came home with the trophy and had the wknd of a lifetime.
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...heads-sib.html
quite possibly the funnest race i have ever done. We just had a blast the whole weekend, I've always wanted to do a long ocean race and it looks like this would have some pretty varying conditions. That, to me would make for some great racing where pretty much anyone has a chance. Those big water rough sections are the great equalizer (and the fun stuff lol) I like the video Noli put up earlier, amazing how you go from relatively calm to bam! lol

Charlie, are there different routes one could take to play the conditions? I know when we run across our lake here to the islands, some days you can run just off shore and have a pretty decent time while its kickin just a few more miles out. Its a few miles longer but you can run faster while if you took a straight shot you would get beat to death (and Erie will do that lol) then further on down that doesnt apply and running close through Sandusky bay is worse then taking the open water Looking at the course i would bet there a ton of variables out there, i like that. It would be fun to do it without gps as well
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 11-08-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:04 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
quite possibly the funnest race i have ever done. We just had a blast the whole weekend, I've always wanted to do a long ocean race and it looks like this would have some pretty varying conditions. That, to me would make for some great racing where pretty much anyone has a chance. Those big water rough sections are the great equalizer (and the fun stuff lol) I like the video Noli put up earlier, amazing how you go from relatively calm to bam! lol

Charlie, are there different routes one could take to play the conditions? I know when we run across our lake here to the islands, some days you can run just off shore and have a pretty decent time while its kickin just a few more miles out. Its a few miles longer but you can run faster while if you took a straight shot you would get beat to death (and Erie will do that lol) then further on down that doesnt apply and running close through Sandusky bay is worse then taking the open water Looking at the course i would bet there a ton of variables out there, i like that. It would be fun to do it without gps as well
There are variables and there are shoals, so you have to make sure you know what aras are good for the tide level that day. When I raced in Key West out to Dry Tortugas and back, I would send my navigator down a few days early and he went around the local bars buying the local fisherman and watermen drinks, as he asked them for depths of water on different tides etc. We won a race there by being able to go inside a reef for a while in the flat water .....and then.... knowing just where we could come out of it to open water again.

Once you get on the south shore of Long Island it is a straight shot, but coming up through NYC gets a little confusing at speed. Know which bridge is which and how many bridges you have to go before the finish line. Oh yeah, it gets a little patriotic as you sweep by the Statue of Liberty and realize what a great country we live in.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 565 Likes on 340 Posts

interesting reading:

Old 11-08-2014, 10:11 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
. . . . I would send my navigator down a few days early and he went around the local bars buying the local fisherman and watermen drinks, as he asked them for depths of water on different tides etc. . . .

brilliant! . . . . brilliant tactic . . . . although i fear if i went out to Long Island and tried to drink my way around the island with the locals that would be more daunting then the open water . . . . may not make it past Patchogue lol
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 11-08-2014, 07:12 PM
Social Distortion
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Charlie, putting a boat together now to make this race. It will be a long haul but would be something to scratch off the list.
Old 11-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wstultz
Charlie, putting a boat together now to make this race. It will be a long haul but would be something to scratch off the list.
Let me know if you are looking for a bare hull and deck to put a boat together. I have several leads on some boats that would make great endurance marathon racer.

The number of boats wanting to enter this race is steadily growing. There is a whole breed of racers out there that have not had the opportunity to try this kind of racing. All of that is going to change next August 22nd.

Welcome aboard and get your brother to get a boat ready too.

Last edited by Top Banana; 11-08-2014 at 08:51 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.