2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon >

2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon

Notices

2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon

Old 11-18-2014, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 227 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOWOUTBOARD
I could actually do the whole distance with the fuel carry. but that's perfect conditions.
Great, welcome aboard, we will count you in!
Old 11-18-2014, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As long as i get a head start!
Old 11-18-2014, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 565 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Here's Johnny
I'll just add that there is also a fuel dock just inside of Jones Inlet....... in case that helps anyone...... you can go on plane till just before gas dock......
If you have additional fuel dock locations that haven't been posted yet, please post them here, and they will be incorporated into the master list of fuel stops and migrated to the website...thanks !
Old 11-18-2014, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 227 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks Noli.

Now, let's hear some ideas of how to allow for those who need to stop for fuel will be timed.

Should it be by so much time per gallon?

Or should we assign a flat time for refueling, regardless of where you stop or how much or little you add?

Should certain stops be assigned a greater time allowance than others due to their location to the ocean?
Old 11-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SLOWOUTBOARD
As long as i get a head start!
Ya or there wont be anything to drink at the bar when you get there. Lol

only joking

How much fuel you hold?
Old 11-18-2014, 01:01 PM
Registered

Received 236 Likes on 79 Posts

i was talking with a buddy about this the other day, thinking about building a boat for it. first off, i think the handi cap idea is a MUST. seeing how this would be a race.. is there actual any prize money? or is it like fun raiser type deal?

but what we were talking about.. seeing how its a "don aronow" themed race... i think it would be awesome to get people out with era correct boats... because when it comes down to it, thats what the most of us have... not everyone has newer boats.. but get the likes of, flat decks, flat bottom guns, apaches, kv scarabs, old school big power, stuff like that... sure everyone loves to see turbine boats, and well, the people with the turbine boats can afford to come and enter and race.. but idk, we were just saying how cool it would be to get a slew of boats from that era out and racing... i think if we could limit it to the hulls, who cares about power.. (relatively speaking) it would be an awesome race. just mainly because quite frankly, even with the handy cap, most people i would think will be discouraged to even bother entering like said before if they were running against turbines or just new OL's and stuff... but if you just throw everyone together with a working handy cap it could kind of be like the great race... which would be awesome as well. but none the less we will be keeping an eye on this thread because we want to do it
Old 11-18-2014, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 236 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
Thanks Noli.

Now, let's hear some ideas of how to allow for those who need to stop for fuel will be timed.

Should it be by so much time per gallon?

Or should we assign a flat time for refueling, regardless of where you stop or how much or little you add?

Should certain stops be assigned a greater time allowance than others due to their location to the ocean?

i think not worrying about fuel will add to the race atmosphere... like with GNCC racing, even nascar... they arnt sprint races and neither is this... most boats i will assume will need to refuel... but depending on when they decide to refuel, how much they fill their tanks etc... i wouldnt worry about needing to adding a handycap to the fuel stops... let the driver and nav figure out where they will stop for fuel... like bull run!
Old 11-18-2014, 01:13 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't believe anyone should be given a handicap for refueling. We are planning on figuring bladders so as not to have to refuel, that is part of the whole event. If you have to refuel that shouldn't come in to play for the boats that do not.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Re-fueling will certainly add to the challenge. And a challenge what this is all about. There is may be 1 or 2 boats that could actually "challenge" the time record. The rest will be in the challenge with in their class and against Mr. Neptune (or Poseidon if you wish) himself.
I see re-fueling in 2 way. Either a time allotted to re-fuel, or split the classes to re-fuel and not. I would like to se as many participants as possible, but if some need to stop, they are pretty much out of the race, even with in classes. I also do not think many would want to add tanks or bladders since this is a safety and technical issue. I rather see some boats re-fuel, giving them some handicapped of a sort, then seeing some make shift, unsafe installation. I know Ryan can do it safely, but not every one has Ryan's expertise in this.
I suggest that there should be 2 "official" fuel stop. (Other locations may be used as just in case or as needed) In those locations the racers should able to get "front of the public" line and re-fuel immediately. This will have to be coordinated with the merchants. This will also give the racers something to plan and think about. They will need to review tactics and distance their boat can go. Called "testing" lol. Don't know how long a re-fueling might take at these locations, but let's say allow 1/2 hour per boat. (or whatever time it might take) This would somewhat give everyone a more equalized event. just my .02
Old 11-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

If there is no handicapping for age of boat or size , you have to leave us guys with old resin buckets something to work with. I'll go through the trouble to hold extra fuel if I know it will give us a better chance against the newer , more efficient equipment. I'm in 100% with my 28 Magnum that hasnt been wet in 20 years or a 38 Seahawk , just deciding which one will work. These boats need complete re rigging , so this is a good time to set it up for future races of this type.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.