Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon >

2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon

Notices

2015 Don Aronow Around Long Island Memorial Marathon

Old 11-11-2014, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 227 Likes on 89 Posts

I think there is some confusion here. HORBA and NPBA are putting on an Offshore race Around Long Island.

1.) In Fall River, Ma in August there has always been a great Poker Run every year, that I always enjoy attending along with many others and it benefits a good charity.

2.) I understand that OPA is attempting to put on one of their style races there too.

3.) And I just heard about this water festival that will happen next year

None of those events conflicts with Open Ocean Racing.

I grew up in this area and boated on these waters many times, it gets windy in the afternoon, but I started racing in these waters in a 14 foot plywood boat with a 35 HP outboard.

We wish all the event promoters and the city of Fall River well, but unless they move the city about 50 miles further south, they don't qualify for an Open Ocean Race.

Last edited by Top Banana; 11-11-2014 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 09:58 AM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,075 Likes on 284 Posts

BWD was just mentioning to us OPA racers that the date might be the same for both events, so hopefully any conflict between the two can be avoided.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:37 PM
Registered

After looking over the UIM website, I see they have ten classes.

We are not going to do that! One model we are looking at is by boat length.

Class A 42 feet to 50 feet three or more engines
Class B 30 feet to 41 feet two engines
Class C 25 feet to 33 feet two engines
Class D 18 feet to 29 feet single or twin engines / Small boat class
Class H Historic / Open and Production class categories

Any boat can elect to run in a higher class.

We have to decide on how old a Historic boat is.

We are considering a 30 minute time advantage to Class D + H for the start....However all boats run against the same elapsed time clock.

Answer to the question of having a 43 foot boat with just two engines. You will then be placed by boat length. Trying to allow some of the 47 foot Apaches that have gone from three to two engines.

Turbines would run in the top class against the three engine boats.

Last edited by Top Banana; 11-11-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 05:35 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
BWD was just mentioning to us OPA racers that the date might be the same for both events, so hopefully any conflict between the two can be avoided.
Thanks Johnny, FYI, With the possibility of this race we measured last weekend for a aux tank. Later to be used for ballast. I know the bus carries quite a load. lol
Old 11-11-2014, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Top Banana
After looking over the UIM website, I see they have ten classes.

We are not going to do that! One model we are looking at is by boat length.

Class A 42 feet to 50 feet three or more engines
Class B 30 feet to 41 feet two engines
Class C 25 feet to 33 feet two engines
Class D 18 feet to 29 feet single or twin engines / Small boat class
Class H Historic / Open and Production class categories
Any boat can elect to run in a higher class.
We have to decide on how old a Historic boat is.
We are considering a 30 minute time advantage to Class D + H for the start....However all boats run against the same elapsed time clock.
Answer to the question of having a 43 foot boat with just two engines. You will then be placed by boat length. Trying to allow some of the 47 foot Apaches that have gone from three to two engines.
Turbines would run in the top class against the three engine boats.
I understand the keep it simple idea. However, while I would not make many classes, I would suggest; A) separate the larger cats from V's. (smaller cats and smaller v's would be ok, say under 35+-'. ) B) And in order to get a larger entry, I would separate all classes as no re-fuel and re-fuel. Depends on conditions, the largest, most HP boat would win the "time" but for all the rest, it's not a race for the ALI time record. It's a race to finish and a race for bragging right. I'm looking forward bragging. I think you might get some more entries with out the logistics of adding fuel tanks to a boat that does not have fuel capacity installed at factory. I know some would not want to take the safety issues on, just to finish with all onboard fuel. Yes, it would put the re-fueling boats out of the chase for the time record in the class, but I think more would jump in knowing that they would be competing against other boats that can't carry 3-400+ gal.
IE. not many "class C" guys would able to run 271 miles non stop. C) For the sake of argument if I can get the Avanti up, would I be in class B? or C? in a 33' boat. Then I would just discard the platform from the boat lengths. I think it's a good start, but I also think it needs a little tweaking.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good stuff

Last edited by scarab63; 11-11-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Registered

Thanks for the input guys. This is tweaking it as Paradox said.

The race is 271 miles long, what is the cutoff point for boats that don't want to carry extra fuel tanks?
Should they be capable of doing at least 1/2 the distance with stock tankage?

The boat that won in the first year had stock tanks and an additional tank in the cabin. We stopped in Shinnecock and refueled only the stock tanks, as we had run through the extra tank by then.
Does anyone have the mileage from Shinnecock to the end of the race off Port Washington?

Got some emails and calls already ......to move the size from A and B up to 43 feet for minimum in A and move size up from 41 to 42 feet as maximim in B. Also to move max length in A to 55 feet as there are some 52 footers out there.

The best race record is 3 hours plus and in the race that was held while hurricane Igor was hitting the area the time was 6 hours and 15 minutes. We are looking for a race in the 2 hour 45 minute to 4 hours and 15 minute range on a normal water race course. That is running time from the fastest classes to the slowest.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great sea race!Love to see the results from what I've heard pretty rough water off Montauk.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:53 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,075 Likes on 284 Posts

Looks good to me. Honestly, Perdition and us would have our own little battle no matter what class you put us in

We carry 200 Brian..and still throwing the dyno tank under the deck
Old 11-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Greatguy66
Great sea race!Love to see the results from what I've heard pretty rough water off Montauk.
Sure but the best part of Montauk is there are enough Great Whites out there, you can probably walk to shore on their backs. Helps you to forget any raceboat problems you have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.