Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Its like watching the house market crash all over again only with boats. >

Its like watching the house market crash all over again only with boats.

Notices

Its like watching the house market crash all over again only with boats.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Indy
I started this thread earlier this month...similar theme:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-sad-days.html

We took the ferry across Long Island Sound yesterday, there was hardly anyone out there...friggin 4th of July weekend. Should have been packed with boats. Depressing.
I have a house by Orient Pt. I used to watch/hear boats coming from Connecticut to Claudio's from 11:00 to 3:00, and then watch them go back from 4:00-8:00. A constant stream of boats. This whole weekend I saw a total of 5! Not only that but boat traffic in general is waaaaayyyyy down. I can't even complain about fishing boats clogging up the channels.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:57 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Pure Energy
I have a house by Orient Pt. I used to watch/hear boats coming from Connecticut to Claudio's from 11:00 to 3:00, and then watch them go back from 4:00-8:00. A constant stream of boats. This whole weekend I saw a total of 5! Not only that but boat traffic in general is waaaaayyyyy down. I can't even complain about fishing boats clogging up the channels.
Is it the economy or do you think the cool factor is just gone? I know a lot of people in their 30's could care less about boats. People in their 20's, yeah right.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

A couple things, It seems to be by regions... Midwest powerboat interest and the amounts out there is as strong or stronger than it has ever been.
I agree that the intrerest is not there from the younger than 30 crowd like it was when I was that age, they seem to rather walk around in the city drinking coffee vs turn a wrench and have a B/A toy, that hurts the resale market for the rest of us in the market.
Also agree alot of the boats our there are in need of maintenance, and most people dont realize what kind of maintenance a nice boat needs so when there ready to sell it there is all kinds of underlying issues.

I can tell you in MN, WI, every lake and river was jammed today with all types of boats, this is like a tradition in this area on the 4th of July. It is a day usually skip because every person with something floating is hitting the water.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:19 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by FeverMike
I've been trying to sell my 2006 Fountain 38TE on and off for a long time...years. I finally got it with the right broker, Sarasota Powerboats, trie to sell for months and then dropped the price to below what I really wanted to take....priced it under many other comparable boat....it sold last week!!!! I am boatless and it actually feels great!
Well done on the sale, I am a little envious! I've tried everything here just to get some interest on mine, it just isn't out there.

Big question, how long will you remain happy and boatless? The longest I've ever gone without a boat is about 3 months. Think you can beat that?

RR
Old 07-05-2016, 05:01 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Is it the economy or do you think the cool factor is just gone? I know a lot of people in their 30's could care less about boats. People in their 20's, yeah right.
I don't think they give a hoot, technology dominates their lives. My nephew's (19 years old) friend has a Tiara they have full access to, their posse has been out on it once in two years. None of them thought it was a big deal when they spent the day on the water last year. Probably went out and stared at their iPhones the whole time.
Old 07-05-2016, 05:17 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Pure Energy

Same down the coast 40 miles at Pt. Jefferson. I did see some good activity this past holiday weekend in the harbor itself but that was it, the Sound was empty...you could have had the whole body of water to yourself this past weekend, seemed like some decent chop too that could have provided some fun.

I think there's three main factors:
- Our gov't and the greed on Wall Street saw to the biggest collapse in practically a century. Many haven't recovered...I'm one of them.
- Globalization has changed the face of this country forever, the middle class will not recover in my lifetime.
- Student debt, health care costs, and taxes reduce discretionary income. Debt for a boat is impossible.
- Younger generation isn't as active as they used to be, technology, social media, and poor job market contribute. I don't see as many interested in sports either from a spectator standpoint. You talk to some younger folks about football or baseball and they just stare at you but they'd sure chat your head off about Facebook, IG, or any of that other stuff. One thing that baffles me is selfies.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 569 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by FeverMike
I've been trying to sell my 2006 Fountain 38TE on and off for a long time...years. I finally got it with the right broker, Sarasota Powerboats, trie to sell for months and then dropped the price to below what I really wanted to take....priced it under many other comparable boat....it sold last week!!!! I am boatless and it actually feels great!
Any pics? My parents neighbors in st pete just got one to replace a contender 35 side console.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:04 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

I'm going to add one more thing...new boat prices.

I get Boating Magazine (probably have for 30 years) and just looking at "regular peoples boats" or what should be anyway, these prices are absurd. A 25' Cobalt @ $132,000, a 31' Sea Ray @ $215,000.

Now who the fuk can afford that stuff? Seriously, working class people can't afford that stuff...I know I can't nor would I part with $130+ for a stupid 25' boat. You can get a house in some parts for $200 but not a dopey boat that's nothing great? All those wakeboard boats...can't wait to see the flood of used boats when that dynamic hits, then their big monthly payments become a crutch they can't get out of because their boat just sits because there's too much competition. Better hope there's no down turn or it'll become another byproduct like our go-fasts have become.

I run a business, I get how much it costs to do business but the industry is just killing itself. There's no question to me why this hobby is going to the toilet...it's pretty much little dorky boats or monster sized boats for the rich.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy
Same down the coast 40 miles at Pt. Jefferson. I did see some good activity this past holiday weekend in the harbor itself but that was it, the Sound was empty...you could have had the whole body of water to yourself this past weekend, seemed like some decent chop too that could have provided some fun.

I think there's three main factors:
- Our gov't and the greed on Wall Street saw to the biggest collapse in practically a century. Many haven't recovered...I'm one of them.
- Globalization has changed the face of this country forever, the middle class will not recover in my lifetime.
- Student debt, health care costs, and taxes reduce discretionary income. Debt for a boat is impossible.
- Younger generation isn't as active as they used to be, technology, social media, and poor job market contribute. I don't see as many interested in sports either from a spectator standpoint. You talk to some younger folks about football or baseball and they just stare at you but they'd sure chat your head off about Facebook, IG, or any of that other stuff. One thing that baffles me is selfies.
Betyween the cost of ownership and the economy is where I was going. My insurance is pretty close to $6000 a year now. Combine that with the marina and ts $10,000 per year before the boat even starts. When i lived in Georgia or even 7 years ago in Florida it was it was more like $4000 year for dock and insurance. Combine that with the go-fast cost of ownership and its out of control and unobtainable for a lot more than it used to be.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Betyween the cost of ownership and the economy is where I was going. My insurance is pretty close to $6000 a year now. Combine that with the marina and ts $10,000 per year before the boat even starts. When i lived in Georgia or even 7 years ago in Florida it was it was more like $4000 year for dock and insurance. Combine that with the go-fast cost of ownership and its out of control and unobtainable for a lot more than it used to be.
Sorry to contribute to the derailing of this thread, but is your a 342 Baja really that much to insure a year? Even with 600"s, that seems very high?

Last edited by dykstra; 07-05-2016 at 07:33 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.