Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Its like watching the house market crash all over again only with boats. >

Its like watching the house market crash all over again only with boats.

Notices

Its like watching the house market crash all over again only with boats.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange quatro
I also think there is a unrealized effect here. If you own a go fast just wait until you want to sell it. Thats when it hits home and you realize your kinda stuck with it and can't get out of it. It doesn't matter if you own it or not, the value has gone. Its like owning a house and the neighborhood turns ghetto. I think someone on this thread said its like being stuck with the hot potato. Just look at cash bar, his boat is immaculate and at this point he's giving it away but buyers are extremely shy about jumping back in and especially us that were fortunate enough to get out. I really like the center counsel boats but not for 300,000-600,000. I really miss boating but for now I'm gonna wait and see.

"Wait" may not apply. Look at Cash Bar, that is a hellava lot of boat for the money in excellent, almost new condition that was marketed really well.

His price hits home becasue its close to what I paid for my boat. And it was a Baja with 496 Mag HO's.

Last edited by Keith Atlanta; 07-05-2016 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 1,331 Likes on 743 Posts

For me a CC isn't really a option. If I sell my boat right now, what I could get out of it would buy me a beater used single 25 foot CC. Not the ones everyone on here go nuts over.

It would be a FISHING CC and I don't fish.

So like someone said I'll keep it till it dies and then part it out for what little is left. Just not worth anything else.

But then what? The price of other boats down here are unbelievable. Coming from the Mid west I am stunned the prices asked for very high hour, beat CC's and runabouts. That alone would keep me away if I was younger.

And as I am now a bit "older" I will NEVER get a loan for a boat/ bike/ toy again. Hell that is why I still have a 20 year old truck as my towing rig!

My last two cents,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,globalizatio n. It moves everyone's wages down and keeps moving up the rung. Won't change until the whole world is the same cost base. Not something that will change I don't care who wins.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 736 Likes on 331 Posts

Actually everything being discussed is the result of cable TV networks no longer showing Miami Vice reruns. The youngsters have no desire to run drugs, chase drug runners, wear gold or do disco and own a money pit boat.
Old 07-05-2016, 04:49 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 865 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
My last two cents,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,globalizatio n. It moves everyone's wages down and keeps moving up the rung. Won't change until the whole world is the same cost base. Not something that will change I don't care who wins.
Won't happen in our lifetime, nor the next generation. This is the long haul on this one.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Indy;4456149]I'm going to add one more thing...new boat prices.

I get Boating Magazine (probably have for 30 years) and just looking at "regular peoples boats" or what should be anyway, these prices are absurd. A 25' Cobalt @ $132,000, a 31' Sea Ray @ $215,000.

Now who the fuk can afford that stuff? Seriously, working class people can't afford that stuff...I know I can't nor would I part with $130+ for a stupid 25' boat. You can get a house in some parts for $200 but not a dopey boat that's nothing great? All those wakeboard boats...can't wait to see the flood of used boats when that dynamic hits, then their big monthly payments become a crutch they can't get out of because their boat just sits because there's too much competition. Better hope there's no down turn or it'll become another byproduct like our go-fasts have become.

I run a business, I get how much it costs to do business but the industry is just killing itself. There's no question to me why this hobby is going to the toilet...it's pretty much little dorky boats or monster sized boats for the rich.]

This is what is killing the boating industry!!! My uncle bought a brand new Mastercraft X-30 in 2002 from theTampa boat show for $54k, I'm looking at getting a wakeboard boat now and I'm looking at a 2008 X-35 for $46k (8 years old!) or having to shell out nearly $80k for a Regal 2300rx surf. I won't even consider a new Mastercraft, a new X-30 is nearly $130k!! So a $76k increase for basically the same 23 foot boat in 14 years? How much has the average wage increased since 2002? I bet not more than 15%.

I think it's basically that after the 2008 crash, boat builders said they still want to make the same amount of money even though they are making half as many boats..."let's just double the price!" The top end buyers are still there and will shell out whatever it costs to have the boat that they or their children want. However, it is killing new boat sales to average Americans and new boaters. Instead of buying a new boat, they are now forced to consider 6-10 yr old boats that may have not been maintained correctly. That new boater will surely be more likely to drop their new hobby when that 10yr old motor takes a sh!t on them second time out on the lake. 10 yrs ago that new boater would have a new boat with warranty and worry free boating for 3-5 yrs. that's enough time to get their feet wet and be ready to move up to a new or bigger boat.

When you cut off the entry level or force them into un-appealing choices that will likely negatively impact their experience you are effectively cutting your nose off to spite your face. That is what the boat industry has done to itself. Don't give me bs about construction costs have gone up...blah blah...$130k for a 23' boat!? Absolutely ridiculous.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:13 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

It really sucks to have my boat be used as both GOOD and BAD examples depending on the thread.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your just a great example. People on here know you and respect your maintenance ethic with all your history of boat ownership. But your also in the real estate market. Whats your thoughts?
Originally Posted by Cash Bar
It really sucks to have my boat be used as both GOOD and BAD examples depending on the thread.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:02 PM
Mod Squad Enforcer
Charter Member

Received 796 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Orange quatro
Your just a great example. People on here know you and respect your maintenance ethic with all your history of boat ownership. But your also in the real estate market. Whats your thoughts?
I think the performance market resembles the country club communities that demand equity fees. It's money you dump in and consider it gone. This is the main segent of homes I see dying here in S Fla.
A home that was $600-900k before the run up and crash is now $200-250k and some sit for years. Some of the communities built townhouses and condos and STILL expect buyers to pay the same fees as the guy living in the 5k sq ft house.

Good quality homes priced right, and with something special to offer, keep selling. The cookie-cutter homes that just happen to be in the same community sit or go cheap.

My boat is priced $100k LESS +/- than a Cig 39 with the same power and year. I knew it was an "off brand" when I bought it. I would think someone with an eye on value would want a boat that has 90% of what makes a Cig great at 60% of the price. So far I have been wrong. I have had two solid buyers but both wanted to use the boat for a short season and needed the back bolsters converted to a bench. High season work by good interior people was running 6-8 weeks and they couldn't wait so they bought elsewhere.

Someone will get a great boat and I'm still going to buy a faster, more expensive more obnoxious boat to replace it. We only live once and my lifetime just happens to fall when fast boats are still available for anyone willing to pay to play.

BTW- if you aren't buying a boat anytime soon you should call me about an unlisted 4 plex I have for sale. i'm sure you still have my number.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Interceptor
Actually everything being discussed is the result of cable TV networks no longer showing Miami Vice reruns. The youngsters have no desire to run drugs, chase drug runners, wear gold or do disco and own a money pit boat.
Wait - Miami Vice is on Amazon Video! Ask me how I know.

But I think there's only about 7 people who watch Amazon video.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:20 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 604 Likes on 278 Posts

[QUOTE=Cash Bar;4456483]

I'm still going to buy a faster, more expensive more obnoxious boat to replace it. We only live once and my lifetime just happens to fall when fast boats are still available for anyone willing to pay to play.

Enough Said!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.