Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Poker Runs. What attracts you?... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/41084-poker-runs-what-attracts-you.html)

cigarette1 01-14-2003 11:56 PM

Originally posted by little princess
it's knowing that other awsome boats will be there
Little Princess got it right.

That's the only thing I look forward to. All the rest is iceing.

:cool:

PhantomChaos 01-15-2003 01:02 AM

Originally posted by WILDTHING TAZ
GOOD QUESTION.I RUN APPROX 12-15 RUNS A YEAR.I ALWAYS FIND MYSELF AT THE SAME 6-7 EACH YEAR.THAT 6-7 THAT I LIKE THE MOST HAVE ENTRY FEE'S OF 150-275 DOLLARS.APPROX 75-150 BOATS,80-100 MILE RUN,1000-5000 CASH FIRST PLACE MONEY,SPONSOR GIVE AWAYS,GREAT BOATS,SUPPER PEOPLE.I FEEL THE BANG FOR THE BUCK MUST BE THEIR.AFTER ALL FOR ME IT CANT BE THE MONEY.I HAVE NOT WON BUT ONLY 100.00 IN 3 YEARS.(SOONER OR LATER I MIGHT WIN A TANK OF GAS)I LOOP THE US 2 TIMES A YEAR AND SEE WHAT WORKS & WHAT DOESN"T.MOST OF ALL THE RUN MUST BE ORGINIZED WELL. NOBODY LIKES BULL****.WELL PLANED RUNS HAVE ALL THE BOATS THEY NEED FOR A GOOD TIME.:cool: :p :p RON BENDER

Do SCOPE in SoCal.....you won't soon forget it. :D :D :D :D

gmhdfan 01-15-2003 01:21 AM

Originally posted by cigarette1
Little Princess got it right.

That's the only thing I look forward to. All the rest is fluff.

:cool:

Yep, and the people make it a great time no matter where it is. Gotta love the eyecandy under the hatches.:) :cool:

Shanghied Again 01-15-2003 05:06 AM

1) We go to a lot of Poker Runs, We love the thrill of the run, getting together at the start with 60 to 180 boats all running at the same time is a rush.
2) Getting together with all your boating friends (Thats why I love Summer)
3) Seeing all the hardware
4) Last just having the best time of your life!:D
www.NJPPC.com

Cignificant 01-15-2003 07:40 AM

Good topic, Rickster!

On the Helicopter issue, my "planning committee" decided it is well worth the expense to have the chopper. That's one reason we had to raise our entry fee by $25 this year. (Talk to me at the OSO gathering and I'll tell you what it cost us last year!!)

1) Commaderie (sp) would have to be first on my list.
2) I enjoy "staging" areas so you can look at all the boats.
3) As TAZ mentioned, "RUN MUST BE ORGANIZED WELL. NOBODY LIKES BULL****"
4) Affordability definitely comes into play - getting a good value for the dollars spent.

Shane 01-15-2003 09:01 AM

"Bang for teh buck" is HUGE! I have been to a lot of different events and some you just don't seem to get anything for your money. Certainly the commrraderie is HUGE! That is why I like NJPPC. Relatively inexpensive, good venues, great people and lots of fun! Some may have big names or big cities, but you don't get much for the money. I would have loved to have attended last years Toys For Tots run but couldn't at the last minute. Giving something back is always a plus. Thanks for being concerned enough to ask.

audacity 01-15-2003 09:07 AM

the people!!!

HebertNecessity 01-15-2003 09:20 AM

Meeting great people, Parties, well organized, and bring the girls, face it most of us have a signifigant other and they enjoy it if they have friends to talk to while we oggle boats, face it my wife can't take much discussion about engines drives and rigging. She rather talk travel, hotels, parties, etc.. Alot of Poker Runs I've seen has 4-1 guys, what up with that. Give a talent scout award(haha)

Reckless32 01-15-2003 09:29 AM

These are great perspectives and I hope others who are organizing runs are reading these as well.

We (HRPA) took over the fledgling poker run portion of the Little Creek Regatta which originally started as a sailing event. The run was added as an after-thought and drew maybe 10-12 boats. Last year we had 51 boats with 39 being performance (we have two run classes, cruiser/performance). That was without much fanfare and just word of mouth. This year we're working hard to get the word out about what a great venue we have for a great varied water run.

Last year we learned some things looked good on paper but not in practice and others turned out great. But as a result of this event our club memebership grew by 25% and post-event surveys overwhelmingly were happy and excited about it's future potential. This year will be better, and the next even more, and so on. That's essentially our approach to this. The Hampton Roads Powerboat Association wants a run that both pleases the participants, being participants ourselves, and to do the honorable thing of generating money for a good cause and enhancing the powerboating reputation in our region.

What are your opinions on party format? Ours is outdoors with multiple tents....
Live band or DJ?
Big sha-doo about food or basic party faire?
Margarita shack with beer trucks or just beer and soda's?
Display booths for dealers/vendor's to display boating wares?
multiple prizes for 3rd, 4th, 5th best hands?

What am I missing?....

dockrocker 01-15-2003 09:41 AM

OK, time for the newbie to chime in! I'll admit it, I've never participated in a Poker Run; in fact, I've never been to one, for various reasons. That being said, here's some of the things I'd be looking for...
  • Affordable - I love the sight of big iron as much as the next guy, but looking at runs like SOTW, with entry fees in the thousands of dollars, it's just not going to happen. I realize that a couple grand is pocket change to a lot of guys, but for the "average joe" like me and my friends, that is a substantial piece of the yearly boat budget.
  • A route that is fun, but not a "white knuckle" special. Airing the boat out is fun for a while, but if Mama wanted to fly for 2 hours straight, she'd take a plane. And if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy ;)
  • Like TAZ said and Troutly elaborated on - organization, especially for the new kids on the block.
  • Kind of related to several factors above, but I'm looking for a run that is open to the little guy. Water that is fun for a 26'-29' boat is maybe boring for a 35'er - maybe two routes is the answer?
  • Prizes are not so important; if the prizes cover the entrance fee and gas, great. I figure my chances of winning aren't that great anyhow, I'd rather have a reasonable entrance fee than a 1 in 150 chance at $10K or something like that.
  • Parties don't need to be fancy - roast pig and cold beer is OK by me ;) No need for lobster tail and caviar - hell, I don't know which fork to use anyhow :D
  • Troutly and others made a great point - SAFETY. I have zero desire to be on the lake with the powerdrinkers and other assorted Darwin candidates, let alone to pay for the privilege. I enjoy a boat soda as much as anyone, but only after the boat is tied up for the night.
  • Most of the $$ going to charity

I guess that about covers it for me!