Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Cig GLADIATOR or Donzi 38ZR ?? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/58826-cig-gladiator-donzi-38zr.html)

Jeffrey 09-09-2003 10:44 PM

Like I said - the man himself - Mr. Bob Teague praised the Donzi. I wish he would reply here as he also drove the new Gladiator with 575's late last year. He has tested both and would be able to offer all of us "common folk" a comprehensive and (hopefully) objective perspective.

Hey Bob - where are you? Are you lurking somewhere out there? How about an honest opinion between the Gladiator and the ZR. Inquiring minds would like to know! :)

Just Browsing 09-09-2003 11:38 PM

Originally posted by GLH
What looked like it was getting riped out on the side of the boat in the picture you posted midway behind the cockpit and the stern? I wondered when I saw the big pic in Powerboat.

I think it is delamination from the impact. If you look at the sequence, that is the side that "dug in" causing the boat to flip, rather than spin out. My guess is that the force of the impact popped some of the gel coat off at the point where the boat flexed the most. (Take this with a grain of salt, as I know less about the construction of the boat than I know about driving it!)

I will say, however, that the boat is rock solid. Other than the spot you see in the picture, a broken engine hatch, and a hand full of assorted hairline cracks, the hull was undamaged. As you can see in the last picture, the canopies took quite an impact, as the boat landed perfectly upside-down, yet they are still in perfect condition. I wish I could say the same about the engines and electrical systems. I'm chalking this one up as a valuable (but expensive) lesson learned.

Semper Fi 09-10-2003 12:49 AM

Originally posted by cigracer28/38
I'm not blindly loyal either, but my opinion is based on my experiences with all brands.

Oh please give it a rest!!!! You are so up Cigarette's a$$ it isn't funny. Yes they make a great boat, but the Donzi is also a great boat.
Let's face it, Cigarette isn't winning any awards for their customer support/service either

SoCalOffshore 09-10-2003 01:09 AM

Both are great boats. But, I have one question. Where do you put the ice chest?

Pete B 09-10-2003 07:00 AM

They are custom built boats any where you want them , i am sure they will accomadate, for a fee of course.

GLH 09-10-2003 07:07 AM

Originally posted by SoCalOffshore
Both are great boats. But, I have one question. Where do you put the ice chest?
The nose of both of them are 20ft long ice chests!

Trout your a sick man

I guess when both these models are parked on each side of my dock I will have to make a decision, till then I enjoy the banther.

Magicfloat 09-10-2003 07:24 AM

Actually th ZR has 2 huge insulated ice chests on the deck behind the rear seats. We fill them before a Poker Run and with our headphone intercoms I can say,Karen,hand me a Pepsi,LOL. :):)

Shane 09-10-2003 07:36 AM

Just Browsing and Pete B,

I am glad you guys are okay. Your mind set/disposition regarding the unfortunate roll are excellent and commendable. Best wishes for a safe and successful remainder of your racing season.

Just Browsing 09-10-2003 08:08 AM

Shane: Thanks.

Troutly: Very funny! I'm going to rotate the picture in my office to the "log ride" position. When you look at it from that angle, it doesn't look as bad.

ClockworkOrange 09-10-2003 08:12 AM

Just browsing,

Is your boat here for the poker run, repair, lay over? Are you in town with it? I would like to check it out...I,ll tell ya a great story of Steve Simon over a couple cold ones...:fish: