Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   BustedGun Give us a Update (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/59054-bustedgun-give-us-update.html)

THEJOKER 09-12-2003 11:48 AM

That really sucks! 500 Merc Carbs are usually dependable. The valve springs are the weak area on them. Actually there should of been a recall on the original springs. I found this out from racing a carb motor back in 1999. BH

Sydwayz 09-12-2003 11:48 AM

88 HOURS!!!!!! and the VT let go???? Must have been 88 hours on the rev limiters and original oil. Is there any computer to check actual engine hours on a 500Carb like a 500EFI??

BUSTEDGUN 09-12-2003 12:01 PM

NO computer.

Your right Brian my last ride had twin 500's and the valve springs started letting go at 200 hours.

The problem with the boat is it sat for a year+ without running. I had planed to do the valvetrain this winter. But now we are doing complete rebuilds and going with a stronger valvetrain.

Dan

ccarloss 09-12-2003 12:07 PM

Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully it will all work out and you'll have fresh engines for next year.

OldSchool 09-12-2003 12:32 PM

Originally posted by BUSTEDGUN

Carbed 500's

88 hours

did not sea trial. oops

Bought from Craig Barrie @Martin Marine

They did step up and they are paying 80% of the rebuilt bill.

It just sucks being down this long.

Dan

CB is a class act. That's really big of him to step up. The word gets around when people do the right thing!! :)

LEOPAJM 09-12-2003 12:33 PM

Sea trial .... we don't need no schtinking sea trial !?!?!?

:D

Scott 09-12-2003 08:32 PM

Wow I just got back on from my original post. I wanted to hear that you were up and running for this weekends poker run:( But I am not too surprised, a lot of work for one week!

Thank goodness you have a lot of friends that have helped out over the summer!

So every one out there feeling terrible for bustedgun remember he has been a boat slut on a 42 Tiger and Wicked Wons 41 Saber:eek:

I know it still isn't the same but it could be worse. I hope to make it to Saturday nights festivities see you there!

Scott

Roger 1 09-12-2003 10:59 PM

Sorry to hear about the boat but hats off to Craig and Martin Marine for picking up the 80%. I would be more than happy with that.

RHC 09-13-2003 07:28 AM

Busted Guns Withdrawel Symtoms

Dan,,, come on out to Fairport,,, I have a CD of my 600s at full song,,, we can put it in your CD player and I will tow u down Lake Shore Blvd. at 75mph,,, if we do it late in the day ,, you might even get some Dew in your face,,,, with two road pops and your eyes closed, you might think its the real thing ,,,, Schucks ,,, if I give Capt. Oblivious $20 he will ride along and tell U how sweet the ride is .... :D :D ,, Hey just trying to make the day go faster ,,,, Hope to see it running this week ---- maybe!!!! Hope, Hope, Hope.

RHC

If you take it to Alum Creek,, I know a guy in Col. who will be your Boat Bitceeauch,,, he owes u some line time rite !!!!;) ;) :p

vagrant 09-13-2003 07:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Bustedgun,

I know what you are going through just be glad that Martin is taking the brunt of the hit. I bought a Sonic with carb 500's in Dec took delivery in Jan . I had the boat surveyed, motors were found with exhaust problems but did not compression check them. To make a long story short I took the boat to my mech for valve springs because the were suspect because of the hours
I ended up rebuilding boat motors because of internal problems that were found. I did not see my boat for 6 months, never even drove it. Now after thousands of dollars later I am riding . Finally happy and living my dream untill something else breaks:D Good Luck and take your time don't skimp and you should be pleased also.

David