Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Ot: Concealed Guns...What are your thoughts (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/60852-ot-concealed-guns-what-your-thoughts.html)

cigarette1 10-07-2003 04:33 PM

Originally posted by KaamaScarab30
I....... we had stopped at a Walgreen's in Houston and the G/F went in. Up comes a crackhead causing trouble, and he gets into a fist fight with the store manager. For the G/F to get back to the car, she is going to have to walk though the area of the fight. Thankfully, the guy ran off before she came out.

.:hothead:

WOW !!! You were ready to use lethal force in that situation???

Maybe you should'nt be packing :confused:

Dock Holiday 10-07-2003 06:05 PM

Just Say N2O, Very well said, Thank You.

I grew up in a rural area, and I am forunate to still live in a rural area. The Police cannot be everywhere we are all the time and it is important in my opinion that we be able to protect ourselves, our family and our property.

Just today in Charlotte three were killed in an apartment parking lot right next door to the Police station. On the same news program I hear that they have broken up the largest gang in Charlotte with 62 arrest.

I do not have any problems with people that to not want to own guns, or have guns in their homes. That is their right and their decision to make.

I do have a problem if they don't want me to have a gun. I have NEVER been arrested for anything and do not even have a single point on my drivers license. I was raised to respect other people and their property, and most important raised to fear God and respect the law.

My wife and I both like to shoot, we collect guns and both have our CCW in North Carolina. My wife was the first female to get a permit issued in our county.

As Just Say N2O pointed out, you need to clearly understand the law. It is very important to know your weapon, know your abilities and most important the law.

I think CCW is a great thing. There has been less than ten instantances in North Carolina in almost ten years with close to 20,000 permits issued. The people against this said it would be a blood bath on the streets. In fact crime has gone down. I hope and pray I never have to use my gun to defend myself, but I will if needed.

I have three different guns I carry depending on weather and the type of clothing being worn. It has become second nature for me and I have never even had to think about pulling a gun on someone.

The training class is a must. Any state offering CCW is making a big mistake if they do not require it. If CCW is available in your state and you are not interested, it would be in your best interest to take the course anyway. You will get a lot out of it, ours in North Carolina is an 8 hour course and we did it all in one day.

CCW is a good thing. Unfornuately only the good guys take the course. The criminals don't bother with the law.

SpectreBoy 10-07-2003 06:13 PM

I carried for years without a permit, (didn't know I needed one) and never had any problems. Then one day at work several co-workers were being very mean to me and saying nasty things, I pulled mine out and shot both of them several times, the boss walked in and I shot him also, then it was the secretarys turn, I hated that ***** for years, let her have it too, then the owner of the company heard all the comotion and came downstairs, I lifted, pointed, aimed, and pulled the trigger, damn I wanted him to get it, but I was outta water and had to step into the bathroom to fill up again. If I would have had one of dem dare Super Soakers I'da had em all.

Dock Holiday 10-07-2003 06:14 PM

I forgot something very important.

The wife and I are also members of the NRA and GOA.

It is more important than ever to protect your right to own guns.

Look at countries like England and Austrialia. WOW, crime is out of control. When Austrialia banded hand guns crime went up something like 300%.

GUNS DO NOT KILL, PEOPLE KILL.

In Austrialia hammers and tire irons have become very popular weapons. In England they are still using bombs.

It's human nature, not guns.

srpbaer 10-07-2003 08:09 PM

I too have a CCW in the state of tennessee. As said before me they do a background check, 8 hours of classroom and then to the range to fire...The one thing that has not been said here is the difference state laws that justify the use of the weapon.In the state of Tn, you are NOT required to attempt to excape before using the weapon. In some states they require the carrier to exercise the attempt to excape prior to using the weapon. This is a very important issue. Also become very aware of which states recongize your permit should you visit another state. Somes states will and some will not. Tennessee's law requires any state that wants us to honor their permit to require the same training and background as we do. And this works in reverse for state that honor ours. Best law to be passed in 50 years is the right to carry when trained properly.

Just Say N2O 10-07-2003 10:47 PM

Dock Holiday, thank you for your kind words. My parents have lived in Winston-Salem for about 13 years. Everytime we go down to visit them, I am amazed at how friendly everyone in N.C. is. A great state.

GLH 10-08-2003 06:09 AM

The first thing I did after crossing the border driving to my home in VT when I moved from Canada to the US in 1992 is by a handgun.

I carried for the first two years here than once I figured that the roughest thing that probably happens in VT is when civil unioned people forget their KY I stopped (no direct knowledge!!), it was not worth the efforts and respect carrying involved.

My weapons are always in the car and boat.

Ricochet Mike 10-08-2003 06:51 PM

I often stay overnight on my boat , (when it runs ) and the last thing I want is a surprise visitor out in B.F.E. with no chance of defense . So before I got my handgun I used to have the flare gun real close at night ...
But now have a h.gun in a compartment in the cuddy , just in case . ( .50 cal. desert eagle ) never know when you might have to shoot through something !!!! ha ha

bajabob38 10-08-2003 08:22 PM

What is everyones gun of choice to carry mine is a 45cal.

Just Say N2O 10-08-2003 09:56 PM

Either Colt Officers .45 or Rugar SP 101 .357.