Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: Just received a new assessment... (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/73044-ot-just-received-new-assessment.html)

Audiofn 03-05-2004 09:53 AM

I guess I better make it up to the lake this year. Does not sound like I will have a place to stay after this year!!!!:hothead: :hothead:

Shane 03-05-2004 09:54 AM

Come on now Jon! We ain't goin' anywhere. And YES! You BETTER make it out this year!:D

mr_velocity 03-05-2004 10:03 AM

Originally posted by GLH
Boooo Hooooo Hooooo find another $ 25k camp with cheap ass taxes they're are plenty around, please...

You two guys are intelligent people you think you have an argument about unfair taxes because the place your parents bought 25 years ago for $10k is now worth $2 Mill. Come on guys cry me a freakn river... fess up to the value you will enjoy when you sell them or MOVE as Bob said you can't be serious!!!

Or whinne but share ALL the capital gains, Please!

That is funny!!! :D:D:D:D

You're missing one point. My house is my HOME, it is not an investment. Unfortunitely many people treat is as an investment. I wish the value of my house went to zero. I don't plan on ever selling or moving. It is the place where I want to raise my children, grow old with my wife and a girlfriend on the side, in a nice safe neighborhood. So now the nice neighborhoods are being taxed to death because they are deemed more "valuable" so we'll be forced to raise our children in less desireable places that are cheaper.

I'd rather see a 75% capital tax rate for those that sell their homes to offset the prop taxes for those that stay put.

mr_velocity 03-05-2004 10:16 AM

Originally posted by GLH
Before shaking the tree HB try watering it for a while.
I'm glad to see that he's at least noticing what's going on. Hopefully by the time he owns a house he'll be fully pissed off. I don't have a problem paying for education. But, the waste in the new school buildings with the huge glass/granite entries and atriums is insane. It has nothing to do with the education of a child but everything to do with the schoolboard wasting money. My school was basically a brick box yet I managed to get an edumacation and even get into college.

Audiofn 03-05-2004 10:16 AM

I know Shane I was just making a point.

GL although I can apreciate your argument about the value going up more then the taxes, IE

Purchase Price of 300,000

Taxes of 10,000

10% increase in house = 30,000

You are ahead 20,000 right.....

Well lets use Mass numbers

Purchase price of my house 300,000

Taxes are 1900

10% increase (average over the last 10 years) 30,000

Tax increase is minimal

Gain is 27,000 - 28,00 a year

Now lets look at NY

100,000 for the house

Taxes are 10,000 or more

Increase of 10% is 10,000

Gain is ZERO

So it is a wash

Now what state would you rather live in? This is why industry is running from states like NY and CALI. The people that are setting up these taxes just do not understand. I would be very interested to know what the taxation was when the Boston Tea Party happened. I am willing to bet we are taxed more then they were back then. You have to admit it does suck that they are being taxed so heavily. There is no way in hell I would ever live in NY because of the taxes, and THIS COMING FROM A GUY THAT LIVES IN TAXACHUSETTS!!!

Jon

mr_velocity 03-05-2004 10:19 AM

Originally posted by Audiofn
There is no way in hell I would ever live in NY because of the taxes, and THIS COMING FROM A GUY THAT LIVES IN TAXACHUSETTS!!!

Jon

Come to NJ, #1 for prop taxes and auto insurance. We can always use a few extra people to carry the burden:D :D

Audiofn 03-05-2004 11:24 AM

Mr Velocity. My mother wanted to GIVE me my grandfathers house in Franklin Lakes. It is in a way high end area and on a lake. I said NO THANKS because of all that BS.

Jon

GLH 03-05-2004 12:08 PM

Originally posted by Shane
Unfortunately, some viewed it as whining and commented accordingly.
My mistake then.

I will also admit the I have never looked at a piece of property as Mr.Velocity designates as "my home" assesing a value other then strickly monetary to it, that is a product of the education I have been subject too up to now. I have no knowledge how to evaluate feelings in property worth and have found it to be more of an inderance than anything. Thank god cities have not found a way to tax that also!

Both Shane and Mr. V have values at stake here that I cannot relate too and it was my mistake to comment on this. I wish them good luck in thir quest for equity.

Shane 03-05-2004 12:12 PM

Thank you GLH. Your last thoughts are much appreciated and shed light on where you are coming from. In my eyes there is investment real estate and HOME. The LG house is HOME. There is virtually no amount of money that I will take to sell that house. It is worth far more than any amount of money someone would be willing to pay. Again, thank you.

mr_velocity 03-05-2004 12:17 PM

Originally posted by Shane
Thank you GLH. Your last thoughts are much appreciated and shed light on where you are coming from. In my eyes there is investment real estate and HOME. The LG house is HOME. There is virtually no amount of money that I will take to sell that house. It is worth far more than any amount of money someone would be willing to pay. Again, thank you.
Unfortunitely the sky rocketing tax bills may force the sale. At least in my case. Never thought I lose a home due to not being able to afford the taxes.