Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OSO Gathering - Lake Travis (Austin, TX) - April 16th (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/75443-oso-gathering-lake-travis-austin-tx-april-16th.html)

Formula78 04-02-2004 08:33 AM

Haha,. Thanks baja, I'll make it out to check out the action and nice boats!

If anyone needs a place to crash I live in the Mansions at Steiner Ranch which is less than 2 minutes from Mansfield.

Hopefully soneone can find a spot in their boat for me! (SO wishes I had more time to work on the Formula, I might have to bring out the ACK! Bow Rider! NOOO! :o )

ST31 04-02-2004 08:41 AM

Not sure yet how many I will have on my boat. So far it looks like I have a full one with friends coming in from Dallas, but if I end up with an empty spot I will let you know.

Of course that all depends on if I get my boat back in time from having the engines rebuilt. :(

RANDAL WALKER 04-02-2004 08:54 AM

I AM PICKING UP MY NEW ELIMINATOR IN FORT WORTH THAT WEEK. I AM DRIVING FROM SOUTH CAROLINA AND ELIMINATOR IS SENDING ABOUT HALFWAY FROM CALIFORNIA. I AM NEW TO OSO AND WOULD LIKE TO EXPERIENCE THIS EVENT, THIS WILL BE MY FIRST EXPERIENCE AT A POKER RUN. SHOULD I RENT A SLIP AT THE MARINA IF I AM GOING TO STAY AT THE HOTEL OR SHOULD I JUST PUT IT ON THE TRAILER THAT NIGHT.

Joe 04-02-2004 09:07 AM

Randal, Welcome aboard!

Slips at Lakeway are $35/night.... No reservations, but here's their # anyway: 512-261-7511 Marine // 800-lakeway Hotel.

If you haven't been on the lake before, be careful. You can get in trouble quickly. If you get in a bad spot and you're not sure where to go... default to the Cliff side of the lake, it's "usually" deep whereas the lower elevation is "usually" shallow.

~and to answer a future question... no, your depth finder will be working fine. It's not unusual to see 180' in depth. :eek:

Give me a call or e-mail if you'd like. I'll be there that weekend. 832-277-3661 Joe

ST31 04-02-2004 09:20 AM

Randal,

Welcome to the board and congrats on the new boat. Sounds like this is changing from a Baja event to an OSO event quickly, Ha! I plan on heading down from Dallas to Austin on Friday morning. Not sure on where I will keep the boat yet. Either Lakeway or at Carlos N Charlies most likely.

Joe,

I am new to driving on the lake as well so I may be following you around. :D

Clay Washington 04-02-2004 11:28 AM

To Randal and others...

If you want to get a hotel room, then check out the Lakeway Inn. You should be able to get a slip at the Lakeway Marina. They are both at Mile Marker 17.

If you want to sleep on your boat, you can tieup at Carlos'N Charlies. It is at Mile Marker 9. There are no slips to rent there, but they have several courtesy slips and several hundred feet of dock space. They allow people to use this area overnight because they assume that you will eat and party there and buy drinks until 2:00am! :p

Clay Washington 04-02-2004 11:36 AM

You can get a map of the lake at a local Walmart. However, the lake has green and red channel bouys with numbers on them (Mile Markers). They also have blinking lights on them at night. As long as you cruise from bouy to bouy, you should be fine.

All shallow areas in the main channel are clearly marked. There is really only one "dangerous" area and it is located in a side tributary called Cow Creek (Mile Marker 32). Cow Creek is a favorite raftup site. However, getting there can be a little tricky. You have to swing wide right of a rock "wall" in the mouth of the tributary. Just follow a local and stay in their wake.

Otherwise, Lake Travis is a deep, clear, safe lake.

Let's party! :cool:

Joe 04-02-2004 12:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Clay Washington
As long as you cruise from bouy to bouy, you should be fine.

Riiiiiight, Clay.... Like you're able to focus on the bouy's after 4 hrs. of mass consumption in the cove! haha. :D

Thank goodness we're all going to C&C now rather than Sam Hill's/J Fins. Much shorter trip!!! (Beer goggles :cool: )

RANDAL WALKER 04-02-2004 01:52 PM

HOW FAR IS DEVIL'S COVE FROM CARLO'S AND CHARLIES AND ABOUT HOW LONG DOES A POKER RUN LAST? I THINK I AM GOING TO LOVE TEXAS!

BajaRunner 04-02-2004 01:58 PM

Originally posted by RANDAL WALKER
HOW FAR IS DEVIL'S COVE FROM CARLO'S AND CHARLIES AND ABOUT HOW LONG DOES A POKER RUN LAST? I THINK I AM GOING TO LOVE TEXAS!
you could swim to devils cove from cnc's. directly across lake. a poker runs last ALL DAY LONG. 10-5ish, then you party the rest of the night