Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Is Cigarette In Trouble????? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/82353-cigarette-trouble.html)

IDRPSTF 06-29-2004 05:04 PM

Re: Is Cigarette In Trouble?????

There is a huge difference between Dealer inventory boats, and Brokerage boats when it comes to sitting for years.
A dealer can continue to make money on a boat that sits on there lot (Through new orders).
However a Brokerage boat looses value by the day. Some boats have high asking prices due to owners that have not been "enlightened" on what there boat may actually sell for. The broker wants the exclusive contract so bad they will list the boat for whatever the NADA, BAC, KBB or owner feels the boat is worth...Plus 10% Broker fee. This in turn causes a boat to sit and devalue while potential buyers shop at more confident brokerages who muster up some guts and tell sellers what the boat will really sell for, rather than what they want to hear it may sell for. (Difference between professionals and yes men!) Unfortunately the boat owner (Seller) is the looser in this scenario because they are paying on the note, the insurance, registration or documentation, detailing fee's, etc. on an asset that is de-valuing faster than any other toy besides an Orange County Trophy Wife. Its sad to see and many sellers do not do there homework before listing there boat, after all, its not every week you sell a $350,000.00 boat.
OR
The seller has such a high note that they cannot afford to sell the boat. If you purchased a new TG TS in 2003 for $295,000.00 with a $15,000.00 Myco and put 10% down and paid only 5% in taxes (Yeah Right). And put 20% down carrying a note for the rest of your life on the remaining $260,400.00
The actual value of the boat compared to how much you owe will flip flop within 2-3 years. So many boats that sit, do so because someone bought too much boat and will most likely end there boat ownership by default.

From what I have seen, boat sales are up, people are buying bigger and more expensive boats this year than in the past 4 combined. Outerlimits and Cigarette are building larger more expensive boats and selling them to both dealers and private party around the world. So I would venture a guess that the new boat market is just fine!

IDRPSTF 06-29-2004 05:14 PM

Tim,
Didn't mean to kick you, But you must admit it was kinda a funny comment.
I am sure you and I have run into many of the same "Buyers".
I have an extreme attitude problem when it comes to tire kickers (Thus the reason I don't sell boats for a living anymore). I only assist my friends with purchases and have yet to have anyone waste my time.
Good luck at National, They are a stellar company that has been nothing but professional and fair when I dealt with them in the past.

Comanche3Six 06-29-2004 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by IDRPSTF
The actual value of the boat compared to how much you owe will flip flop within 2-3 years. So many boats that sit, do so because someone bought too much boat and will most likely end there boat ownership by default.

That is a snug fitting straight jacket.

thedonz 06-29-2004 06:37 PM

If someone would only buy my Donzi, then I can get the Gun........

Hydrocruiser 06-29-2004 07:17 PM

I have noticed in my shopping that there are fairly high inventories across the board in all types of boats from cruisers to powerboats. Like any industry it's hard to estimate consumer demand. Then trying to explain buying habits is also difficult as well. The "Consumer Confidence Index" is the highest it's been in 2 years. Those boats will have nice new homes soon! I think we are due for a turn around in spending.

Indy 06-29-2004 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by IDRPSTF
To address the original question, I think Cigarette is doing better today than they have in years. Most high performance boaters at the Miami show agreed that Cigarette stoled the show with new ideas, immaculate paint and best overall fit and finish. Skip has taken the company to the next level and the "New" prices reflect that.

Yes...and he's stayed away from that pathetic tit-for-tat "worlds fastest Vee bottom" race that Reggie and Fiore are engaged in. All the chest pounding both of them do makes them look silly. No matter who sets the record, Cigarette is still the boat.

Hydrocruiser 06-29-2004 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Indy
Yes...and he's stayed away from that pathetic tit-for-tat "worlds fastest Vee bottom" race that Reggie and Fiore are engaged in. All the chest pounding both of them do makes them look silly. No matter who sets the record, Cigarette is still the boat.

Cigarette has always had the reputation as being the fastest offshore in rough water conditions. That's the gold standard for an offshore. Rough water speed capabilities. Isn't that why they are #1?

CAP071 06-29-2004 09:01 PM

Maybe it' s this Booming Economy :drink:

GLH 06-29-2004 09:05 PM

I won't worry until people at the gas station ask me "Is that one a them thar Outerlimits boat?"

boatme 06-29-2004 09:06 PM

GLH now that is a good one :)