Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Who's Going to Win? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/84213-whos-going-win.html)

Rforsey 08-02-2004 06:51 PM

Re: Who's Going to Win?

I would rather see fountain win. not that I have a love for the boats really can't say until I have been in one. Outerlimits would I ever own one would love to. what I think is really cool is the love for speed and to say they have the fastest V bottom. and the fact that. they are willing to do it themselves is awesome.rather then sitting on the sidelines and letting someone else do it. What I personally hate is when someone says I don't care because I can't afford one our must be nice. believe it or not Jealousy gets you know where in life. If some one is a stuck up snob is one thing, but I love looking at awesome toys. what I would love to see is say Cigarette and Hustler, Sonic all going for it that would be cool. Bottom line is Way cool Glad to see they are involved rather then sitting on a yacht counting their money.....

Hydrocruiser 08-02-2004 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Wild
42 fountain and 42 OL with stock 1075 mercs and 6s - that will be the only way to tell

Actually we kinda have some of that data:

OUTERLIMITS 42'

POWERBOAT MAG PERFORMANCE TEST RESULTS
Centerline 42'5"
Beam 9'2"
Weight as tested 10,500 pounds
Price as tested $795,000
Engine, cubic inch/horsepower (2) Sterling Performance 825 HP
Propeller Hering five-blade 18" x 32"
Acceleration zero to 15 seconds 62 mph
Top speed at rpm 109 mph at 5,900
Manufacturer contact 401-253-7300, www.outerlimitspowerboats.com

42' FOUNTAIN
To power the 42' Lightning, which had two steps (about 1-inch tall) and a modified V-pad keel in its hull, the builder went with blown and intercooled 1100 HP motors from Cobra. Mercury Racing No. 6 drives with 1.3:1 reductions and Mercury 18" x 31" four-blade stainless-steel propellers were mounted on the transom.

The combination was a winner. The 42' Lightning ran 121 mph and, in doing so, was the fastest V-bottom at our 2004 Performance Trials.

The 42' Fountain with 1650 HP would be pretty close. Of course what they bring on race day is a totally different machine. It's a dragster.

So Rio Roses got 160 MPH with T-1300's if I recall. A stock 42' Fountain boat with 1100's gets 120 MPH so you can see the kilo run boat is a raceboat from the get go. 1300's would push a stock 42' Fountain to around 130 MPH. So Rio is lighter, higher X dimension and obviously not a showroom boat. Now a stock 42' Fountain with T-1500's would go 140 MPH. So Rio with 3000 HP is a 170 MPH boat but he is taking out 1500 pounds too so that makes it a 180 MPH boat.

The thing is if Fiore is using a production boat with a canopy to make his speed then he has the fastest hull available to the general public. Reggie's boat would be a custom racing machine. Is Fiore going with a basicall stock hull and stripped down cabin deal? It would be nice to have some details to go on otherwise you don't really know what is racing what.

I would love to know the following for each boat:

Weight
Lamination schedule
Power and dyno tests
Stock or race hulls?
X-dimensions
Props dia and pitch
Drive type and any mods

Don't you wonder about that kinda stuff too?

SHARKEY-IMAGES 08-02-2004 07:43 PM

Hydro,

Again, OL 1650 HP total Fountain 2200 HP Total

They may be advertised as both being 42 ft, but we all know the Beak factor....The Fountain is actually 38 to 39 if you eliminated the bow extension...and of course if there was a swim platform, that makes the boat even shorter.... :D

Hydrocruiser 08-02-2004 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
Hydro,

Again, OL 1650 HP total Fountain 2200 HP Total

They may be advertised as both being 42 ft, but we all know the Beak factor....The Fountain is actually 38 to 39 if you eliminated the bow extension...and of course if there was a swim platform, that makes the boat even shorter.... :D

In a planing boat length is not critical as long as it is within a few feet. HP and weight matter more. If you play with the numbers the stock OL does seem to be a few miles faster than a stock Fountain. I do think the OL is a faster boat and yes without the beak that is saying a lot. After all is said and done Reggie may need to tweak his "stock" hulls a bit. :)

SHARKEY-IMAGES 08-02-2004 07:52 PM

With length comes weight. Especially if you're talking about full height length in the stern area.... :drink:

Hydrocruiser 08-02-2004 07:53 PM

With length comes weight. Especially if you're talking about full height length in the stern area.... :drink:

Yup you convinced me OL is a faster 42'er

SHARKEY-IMAGES 08-02-2004 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
Yup you convinced me OL is a faster 42'er

A full length 42 footer anyway.... :D :D :D

Hydrocruiser 08-02-2004 08:03 PM

A full length 42 footer anyway.... :D :D :D

What do you think a 42' Cigarette would do with T-1500's?

tomtbone1993 08-02-2004 08:13 PM

it sounds like Sterling is the company cleaning up :D

bar768 08-02-2004 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Havasu Cig
Whoever goes out and buys a Fountain based on this is stupid. The Fountain you buy is nothing like the boat Reggie is using. :rolleyes:

How is it any different other than the deck and engines? It is the same 42 hull as the pleasure boats, the boat being used this weekend is actually the old style hull, the boats that they are building now are a newer hull than is under any raceboat now and is considerabaly better. The deck is different. They do have a new poker run boat which is even a lower profile than the current raceboat decks and looks even better. The last time I checked Fountain will put any engines in a customers boat. So how is it "nothing" like the ones they sell?