Fabio Buzzi Sets new World Record >

Fabio Buzzi Sets new World Record

Notices

Fabio Buzzi Sets new World Record

Old 01-06-2011, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain40icbm
I believe the record they broke was Paul Fiore in a triple diesel and blackhawk drive 40 Hustler in the early 90's.
As I recall that boat had issues with the Blackhawks. I believe they attempted the record but I don't recall if they ever broke it.

When we started our project Kyle Petty had broke the record (I think '94) and then in '95 Mark Nemschoff broke Kyles record in one of FB's designs.

We were able to get the record in May of '98 and then get Gentry's record from Miami-Nassau-Miami less than 1 month later.

Harry put together a nice video of our efforts for all 5 of our records.

http://www.greatlakespower.com/spiritAmerica.html

Enjoy.

Rich
Old 01-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by THERUSH
As I recall that boat had issues with the Blackhawks. I believe they attempted the record but I don't recall if they ever broke it.

When we started our project Kyle Petty had broke the record (I think '94) and then in '95 Mark Nemschoff broke Kyles record in one of FB's designs.

We were able to get the record in May of '98 and then get Gentry's record from Miami-Nassau-Miami less than 1 month later.

Harry put together a nice video of our efforts for all 5 of our records.

http://www.greatlakespower.com/spiritAmerica.html

Enjoy.

Rich
I believe they did break it then but I will have to confirm with Paul. He may not have back then. They did have problems with the drives. About 3/4 the way they blew a drive and then a couple miles from the finish they blew another one. Nice vid!!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:29 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cowisl
Always bringing the subject back to OL
Has to do with the topic and I was actually talking with Paul about Fabio's run and his backl in the 90's the other day. And its Hustler not OL!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:10 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
I don't have the stats from that race but do you remember the speeds and Gancia not even averaging 80 on day 1? I guess with threads about "best rough water boat ever", did any of them ever go as fast as we remember and would a modern day boat, OL, Apache, Donzi, Skater, Mistic, etc, etc really have a higher average speed on a day like that if they had to cover the 100 plus miles?

As you make note of often, you have finish to win and we were all a little more conservative knowing how far you had to go. I told the story on here before about what Buzzi's race plan was for every race:
- get out front first
- stay out front
- always set the pace
- make the gas boats chase you
- even if they pass you 70% of them will break before the race ends
- the other diesel boats can't catch us, so don't worry
- lastly, finish and you'll win by default

ps - we tend to go 2 mph per year faster for every year after the actual event - LOL
Good questions....... Since Fabio, with that design, brought a cannon to a gun fight, I believe that hull would still obliterate any of today's big dollar vees. He was using pretty high tech laminates back then, the design is based on crushing big waves at considerable speed, and the fact is the current emphasis on uber gasoline power (with the possible exception of Mercury Racing's new 1350 package) has really reduced reliability and durability beyond a few short high speed blasts. Most of the guys who purchase 50 foot vee bottoms simply want comfort in a Poker Run, and have no desire to beat up their boat or themselves in a 150-1500 mile, true endurance test (not necessarily a bad thing). There are exceptions of course, the new quad diesel enduro OL being one of them, and the P-1 boats in Europe. Most of the jawboning on this and other websites about "rough water" capability really has little to do with long distance race conditions and is more focused on "Big Air" photo ops or achieving some ridiculously high "number" in calm water. Very few of our members can imagine running in storm seas in the Mediterranean with blood running down your forehead, a serious delamination on your hull, and hundreds of miles between you and the finish line, conditions which were the genesis of Mr. Buzzi's designs.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

T2x - do you remember the NJ race in 1990? I ran the Buzzi boat through the inlet, down the river and to the crane at almost full speed and jumped infront of everyone to have her hauled out. The boat cracked from the center of the dash to left side over the gunnel, down the side, through the chine and to the keel. Me and Jerry Gilbreath finished the race, we rkept going slower and slower thinking we had enegine trouble until our feet got wet, then our ankles were covered!!!!

We would not stop short - you finsh the race!

I think you have it on video also the firts race in the spring at Key West in 1990? Kitami and I head out of the harbour and hit the steep waves and his head hits the dash a few times, his face is bruised etc, but we keep going!

Talk about the old days, his water bottle with the drink line going up the life vest was extra large, we had to fill it with Mountain Dew and Jack Daniels (50/50), every race was an experience!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:30 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
T2x - do you remember the NJ race in 1990? I ran the Buzzi boat through the inlet, down the river and to the crane at almost full speed and jumped infront of everyone to have her hauled out. The boat cracked from the center of the dash to left side over the gunnel, down the side, through the chine and to the keel. Me and Jerry Gilbreath finished the race, we rkept going slower and slower thinking we had enegine trouble until our feet got wet, then our ankles were covered!!!!

We would not stop short - you finsh the race!

I think you have it on video also the firts race in the spring at Key West in 1990? Kitami and I head out of the harbour and hit the steep waves and his head hits the dash a few times, his face is bruised etc, but we keep going!

Talk about the old days, his water bottle with the drink line going up the life vest was extra large, we had to fill it with Mountain Dew and Jack Daniels (50/50), every race was an experience!

Are you referring to the "Super Hawaii" hulls?

Frankly, Darren does much of my remembering for me these days....
Old 01-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by T2x
Are you referring to the "Super Hawaii" hulls?

Frankly, Darren does much of my remembering for me these days....
Yes, Super Hero / Hawaii and soon my son will have to do the same for me, I feel it coming on too......
Old 01-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CigDaze
At 1.07 HP/Cubic Inch, that's pretty mild. I wonder what those things weigh?
http://www.isottafraschini.it/eng/ri...po=Propulsione

1450 kg, or 3200 lbs each for the V1312T2 MSD SFC. That engine only specs out at 1,175 hp, but one could imagine FB gets a special tune for racing.

-Steve
Old 01-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by windscreen
http://www.isottafraschini.it/eng/ri...po=Propulsione

1450 kg, or 3200 lbs each for the V1312T2 MSD SFC. That engine only specs out at 1,175 hp, but one could imagine FB gets a special tune for racing.

-Steve
Thanks, so in other words they are stock engines basically with a little fuel turned up or in Fabio speak they are really 1,600hp or 1,800hp and he tells you 1,300 hp to make you feel like WTF, how does it go so fast with so little power! I love him!
Old 01-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Those Isotta,s can easily crank twice the power they claim and still be relyable .
I think with that much cubic inches ,they run maybe 20 psi boost ,double the boost to 40 psi by increasing the fuel duration and the power will be double too.

Quick Reply: Fabio Buzzi Sets new World Record

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.