Notices

Procharger experts needed

Old 06-17-2005, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts
Default Re: Procharger experts needed

Originally Posted by baronbob
Thanks for all the response to everyone. The back ground someone asked for is as follows: The engine is a Merc 7.4 MPI the system is a used M-1 with the red regulator (I think made by ATI). Ati can not come up with a part # for the regulator. They did sell me the correct re-build kit (diaphragm, 3 O rings and a spring). The problem did exist before the re-build. I put the regulator back together the same way with the large round plate on the top of the diaphragm and found that I did not have enough travel in the adjustment and then re-located the round plate to the bottom of the diaphragm resulting in pushing the needle further down with a given spring pressure. the needle does have a wear mark and I have asked ATI if I can purchase a new needle and seat. They do not know if they are sold separately, they don,t know the part # of the regulator or the needle/seat. They will not let me talk to the tech on the flow bench to see where the round plate goes. Anybody know?? Can or should I lap in the needle/seat with valve lapping compound? Or should I just Polish it on my lathe? How do you set the idle voltage referenced in one of these responses?
Bob,how old is your regulator/set-up? I had all these problems in 2000/2001 and would figure they would have it straightened out by now(that they couldn't have stuck w/a problematic ,crappy design 4 years later) Smitty
Old 06-18-2005, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
Smitty -

What are the part numbers and approximate $$$ ?

Can you post a picture of the actual set up on the engine?

Thank you
I'll have a pic of it on motor by sunday night as i am re-installing motor in boat this weekend. Both regulators were about 175$ combined plus what ever fuel line plumbing/fittings you need. When mine was all rubber the fittings didn't amount to anything but an hose and adapters,well,you know how that stuff is,Smitty
Anyone trying to solve same problem pm me with a phone number and I'll call you and explain it if you still don'yt understand.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Orginal prorcharger regulator I had was for carbs, it worked perfect. Problem must be with the procharger efi regulator. When I went EFI I bought a aeromotive regulator & have had no problems with fuel pressure.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Turbojack
Orginal prorcharger regulator I had was for carbs, it worked perfect. Problem must be with the procharger efi regulator. When I went EFI I bought a aeromotive regulator & have had no problems with fuel pressure.
Your exactly right,every procharger owner ive ever met with EFI has had problems w/their regulator,never heard of a problem w/carb regulator,Smitty
Old 06-19-2005, 07:31 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

You might want to look at the Weldon, pumps, and regulators, you would only need one of each.
Old 06-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
Smitty -

Who makes the other regulator? Hope you get a chance to post pictures. I think this is part of my problem!!!

Thanks
Bell industrys/cartech makes the other regulator but they make it with 1/8 in npt threads,after telling tyler crockett how it worked he started setting up all his procharger motors with them as the boost reference regulator. He stocks them with 1/4 in pipe threads (they custom make them for him). You can reach him at 810-324-2720,it should be under a 100$ and you won't have to disasemble it and rethread it like I did mine(plus he takes visa and mc )Smitty
If you have any other questions about it pm me with a phone# and I'll call you one wk night after 9pm.I'll post a pic of it on boat this week,I just came in from putting motor in today.
Attached Thumbnails Procharger experts needed-fuel-regulator-017.jpg  
Old 06-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by GPM
You might want to look at the Weldon, pumps, and regulators, you would only need one of each.
Gary,how much output does a Weldon pump have,I still need a bigger fuel pump.Originally i had the pump procharger gives you but it wasn't big enough so i put on a Essex pump,it was fine but this time on Dyno it wouldn't keep up either so I need to run 2 pumps or find a even bigger one.I'd like to order one this week,My tailpipes should be here by fri and I might actually have boat running,Smitty

Last edited by articfriends; 06-19-2005 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-19-2005, 11:11 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Smitty, they have several pumps available, I think you would want the 2025 it puts out about 950lbs per hour. You're only seeing 950hp but the blower is probably eating another 250. MuscleMotors.com had the best prices a while ago. Use the Weldon regulator, it's about $125 and it's all you will need. The smaller regulators can't bypass the fuel and the pressure jumps around. You can check out the flow charts at weldonracing.com.

Last edited by GPM; 06-19-2005 at 11:34 PM.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:29 AM
Registered

I got an aremotive eliminator fuel pump. Still red in color, same size just more volume than the AE1000. In second year with this & no problems yet.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Registered

Ok, I have been working with procharger on my problem also. Same red regulator as shown above. I have twins, one motor works great, 30 lbs idle 55 wot, the other motor is 30 lbs idle and 50 lbs wot, even if I set it at 40 lbs idle it is still 50 lbs wot. I agree they are not the same, sometimes they are 38 lbs at an idle other times 30, however in my case it is alway on the high side which is ok. I also see a fluctuation on my "bad" motor by 4-5 lbs about every 15 seconds when at an idle on a mechanicle gauge, it will bounce from 35 to 30 and right back to 35. I was starting to think I have a bad pump until reading this post. Now I wonder about the regulator. I may swap mine between motors and see what happens. Maybe I have a bad one also. I have had great help from PC so far, if it all who you talk to, I think there is only one support guy that is good on the marine side.

You may also have a stock regulator problem if you have the cool fuel system, PC has a kit to eliminate the stock regulator from the circuit.

Anyone know why the fuel pressure would bounce 4-5 lbs in a second at idle? Is this a fuel pump problem or a regulator issue?

Quick Reply: Procharger experts needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.