1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor

Notices

1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor

Old 06-23-2005, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor

Hey Tomcat:
Thanks again for all your valuable input in the past. People like you make this forum interesting even for a run of the mill gear-head like me.
Hey Steve, Welcome to OSO. I thought I would give you a little promotion, and look what I've started!
Thanks for the tip on the needle and seat.
I have used the Holley .150 Titanium version in the past but couldn't get it to stop seeping at idle even w/ 7 1/2 lbs of static fuel pressure.
I'm wondering at what power level do you need to step up from the stock .110" seat? Anybody know?

Last edited by HARDCORE A/O; 06-23-2005 at 12:09 PM.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Steve has built 1 engine for me, and 2 for a friend of mine. grant it this was 10-12 years ago. I was totally green, he did the machine work on my engine and I assembled it (my first engine assembly 2.8 V6 Chevy in my living room). He explained to me how to use plasti-gage, install pistons, torque specs, etc etc... That engine I put 150,000 on it at 85lbs. of oil press before I sold it.

He built a 355 for a friend that he put in a lifted full size chevy that out performed most local big blocks. he also built him a wicked 454 that was dirt cheap. Never had a problem with anything he has built or heard anything bad that he has put out.

I ran into Steve at the G.R. boat show and couldn't believe the #'s he was talking about. He had some cool setups their. He once again after not talking to him for 10 years was one of the nicest guys to tallk to. Just a joy to listen to if you are a HP JUNKIE. If you think the supercharged systems are nice, wait till he talks about Turbos.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:04 PM
Registered

While it's absolutly possible to make these huge numbers, it's with trick set ups that do not come in the standard PC kit. I think Pro Charger should be more forth-coming with information about their product.

Things like water/methanol injection are great and work well but how many of us are willing to get into those kind of systems for our boats.

If Pro Charger were more forth-coming with info I bet they would sell more systems because as was mentioned before, (about the story of going from twin carbs to fuel injection,) he gave up because he got tired of fooling with it. I know my first PC set up I gave up on. Now, granted I was tring to max out the little P600B on a big block, but by the time I actually got it to work, I needed more.

PC should have proven recipies that they should be willing to share with us. Not just throwing claims of 1600+++horsepower out there and leave some of us scratching our heads trying to figure out what we're doing wrong, or better yet, saying if he can do it, I can do it and granading the motor.

As long as I've been on this board I've always said, "you want the most bang for your buck" You can achive well over 1200 hp reliably from a PC and 600 cubes. The point is reliable. Who wants to wrench when it's time to boat?

DAVE
that's my .02
Old 06-23-2005, 09:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: 1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor

Originally Posted by Sean H
that is what i was impressed with, 1600 HP out of 850cfm...
I am not an engine builder nor am I looking to buy a 1600 HP engine....but that 850 CFM Holley must be under a couple hundred PSI of air flowing with a 10 gallon per second fuel pump system to get that kid of horsepower...even I am not that naive...

...or they are using concentrated nitromethane with NOX??
Old 06-23-2005, 10:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a question. If 1600 HP can be made on 93 octane with a "mega" intercooler can that same HP be achieved with an R-Tech and 110 octane in a marine environment? 632" with a solid roller and great flowing heads and headers turning 7000 RPM? Maybe not the best offshore motor, but I still think this would make for one hell of a shootout motor if it can be done. I have raced a lot of boats over the years and normally the race is over in less than a couple of minutes so being capable of "offshore" racing isn't really required for most lake racers!!
Old 06-23-2005, 11:50 PM
Registered

I'm with you Wette. I still think that with a little ingenuity, as opposed to "following the crowd", it must be possible to make at least a 1,200HP "lake racer" pump gas motor. I don't understand why that seems so far fetched. After all, one of the guys that has responded to this thread is make over 1350 HP in a marine application with a procharger setup already. The whole reason I ran this thread was to provoke some discussion on whether it is possible to find an alternative means of making a mega horsepower motor without having to take out a second mortgage to buy something like one of Sterlings motors. Tomcat seems optimistic that it can be done, and I personally believe that he and Steve Morris know what they are doing.
Hi-Tide: For you to insult me, you need to come better than that! But, I would suggest that You shouldn't bother us with your puerile babble about things that have no relevance to this issue. If you can't understand the technical value of this thread, maybe you should find somewhere else to "play". As far as I am concerned, a turbine is well beyond the reach of most people on this site and definitely is not a practical alternative. That's just MY opinion...
Old 06-24-2005, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by HARDCORE A/O
I'm with you Wette. I still think that with a little ingenuity, as opposed to "following the crowd", it must be possible to make at least a 1,200HP "lake racer" pump gas motor. I don't understand why that seems so far fetched. After all, one of the guys that has responded to this thread is make over 1350 HP in a marine application with a procharger setup already. The whole reason I ran this thread was to provoke some discussion on whether it is possible to find an alternative means of making a mega horsepower motor without having to take out a second mortgage to buy something like one of Sterlings motors. Tomcat seems optimistic that it can be done, and I personally believe that he and Steve Morris know what they are doing.
Hi-Tide: For you to insult me, you need to come better than that! But, I would suggest that You shouldn't bother us with your puerile babble about things that have no relevance to this issue. If you can't understand the technical value of this thread, maybe you should find somewhere else to "play". As far as I am concerned, a turbine is well beyond the reach of most people on this site and definitely is not a practical alternative. That's just MY opinion...
Hardcore,i agree a 1200hp motor should be no problem,i recently made 948 hp(out of several pulls was highest hp at peak) from a 540 w/only 10 psi of boost on 92 octane. A 632 would be 17% bigger than what i have,that alone should give you another 161Hp(948 plus 161=1109)as long as the heads were proportionally bigger.My motor has 8.2-1 compresion,i see some of these other guys are using 9.2-1 base compression,that is supposedly worth another 6-8%(at least normally aspirated)which puts you at 1200,Smitty
(Yeah,i know,this is bench racing at its best)
Old 06-24-2005, 07:13 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Once you get the mounting brackets,and a few tuning details worked out you can get 1200 hp out of a 598. Using decent standard heads, and a decent size cam. 11.5 lb of boost on 94 pump gas. If you want to add some octane booster or race gas, turn the boost up to 15 and you can make almost 1400. With the stock M-5 intercooler, the one Tom's working on would be even better.

Last edited by GPM; 06-24-2005 at 07:45 PM.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:52 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by WETTE VETTE
Here is a question. If 1600 HP can be made on 93 octane with a "mega" intercooler can that same HP be achieved with an R-Tech and 110 octane in a marine environment? 632" with a solid roller and great flowing heads and headers turning 7000 RPM? Maybe not the best offshore motor, but I still think this would make for one hell of a shootout motor if it can be done. I have raced a lot of boats over the years and normally the race is over in less than a couple of minutes so being capable of "offshore" racing isn't really required for most lake racers!!
Throw in a set of Big Chief, Dukes, or Profilers, just for good measure and I think you got it.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:54 PM
Registered

Wette Vette i made 1100 HP with a 540 in my 26 Daytona @14 lbs of boost and starting with 9.2:1 static compression, maybe even more impressive is the fact that it made 1000 HP at 4700 RPM and kept on climbing to a peak at 5800, talking about a flat torque and HP curve. This is a weekend driven family boat. I had a block problem and I'm putting the motor back together this weekend. I use the FAST fuel injection system with the standard Procharger intercooler, i believe it's the 540. GPM is being modest because he has the monster motor in his boat, the 598 he mentioned is his and the numbers are unreal. He has inspired me to build a 600 cube Procharged motor for my boat for next year. I am already looking for the Big Dukes for mine, that way I can just plug in his file and forget about it.

Quick Reply: 1600 HP Pump Gas Procharged motor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.