Notices

242LS - Thermostat housing checkballs

Old 07-15-2005, 09:38 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 242LS - Thermostat housing checkballs

Originally Posted by Jim Young
Thanks for all the replies guys.. If my motor is staying cool then would having them out supply more water to the headers. I have had cracked exhast manifold before and It wouldn't hurt my feelings any to keep my new ones really nice and cool. What is the danger of not having them in. Thanks for the help...
Your headers will get the same amount of water regardless as all your cooling water exits thru the headers, however your motor may not get as much as it needs under extreme conditions.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the thermostat is closed, the water exits through the check ball outlets, then flows to the risers, skipping the exhaust manifolds. When the thermostat opens, the check balls provide some back pressure to push water throught the block and out the non-check ball outlets. These are typically plumbed to the exhaust manifold. You NEED the check balls to get good flow through the block.
In later years, Merc redesigned the thermostat housing to eliminate the need for the balls.
Gary
Old 07-15-2005, 09:58 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gary Anderson
When the thermostat is closed, the water exits through the check ball outlets, then flows to the risers, skipping the exhaust manifolds. When the thermostat opens, the check balls provide some back pressure to push water throught the block and out the non-check ball outlets. These are typically plumbed to the exhaust manifold. You NEED the check balls to get good flow through the block.
In later years, Merc redesigned the thermostat housing to eliminate the need for the balls.
Gary
Gary,

I believe he has after market headers with the two exhaust hoses on each side y-ed together. Thats why I said that all the water will go to the exhausts either way.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. you're absolutely right regarding water to the headers. But he still needs the checkballs to prevent too much water from bypassing the block when the thermostat's open.

Originally Posted by Wobble
Gary,

I believe he has after market headers with the two exhaust hoses on each side y-ed together. Thats why I said that all the water will go to the exhausts either way.