Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Still getting water in 1,3,5,7 (port cyls)!! >

Still getting water in 1,3,5,7 (port cyls)!!

Notices

Still getting water in 1,3,5,7 (port cyls)!!

Old 05-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Still getting water in 1,3,5,7 (port cyls)!!

Installed the Revolution exhaust, bolted heads back on, test ran. The motor did not get water in the massive quantities as before, but after about 1 hour or so runtime the oil was definately contaminated. Not milkshake yet, but contaminated. I yanked the motor, and found the lifter valley & valve covers were milkshaked, but the oil in the pan was not that bad (yet) The motor never ran right, was sluggish.

I have not yet pulled the heads, as the motor is now in the back of my tahoe.

-Freshly prepped block,
-Brodix HV1016 intake (cut down to fit properly)
-rebuilt 882 heads w/2.05/1.60 valves w full port and polish and new bronze valve guides on exhaust
-Fel pro 1003 head gaskets
-Fel pro 1204 intake gaskets.
-Crane 100072 (284H, 228@50, 112 LSA single pattern) with Rhodes lifters.

Before the exhaust change, cylinders 1,3,5,7 had water in them as well, with no sign of gasket failure.

I am at a loss, my best guess now is that it is a head issue. The starboard side is dry as a bone. The motor has little or no lope @ idle, and it will idle @500 rpm, so I can't see it as a reversion problem.

Any ideas??????????

Last edited by jmherbert; 05-22-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:00 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Still getting water in 1,3,5,7 (port cyls)!!

if your oil level has not changed, I would suspect condensation may be the problem.

does your oil temp get above 212*?

how are you venting the valve covers?
Old 05-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wobble
if your oil level has not changed, I would suspect condensation may be the problem.

does your oil temp get above 212*?

how are you venting the valve covers?
They are vented in the "stock" configuration, (no PCV) I am going to add PCV now that I have it off.

I do not have a oil temp gauge, but the oil in the block had approximately 1 hour of runtime on it. My water temps were 160 to 170. The valve covers had milk on them after a short while. I didn't concern myself with that, until I saw the water in cyls and crankcase.

The sparkplugs were very wet on the port side, and dry as a bone on the starboard side. I cant see how condensation would do that. #7 has compression and oil issues, it tested @ 125 where the others were 150-170. This is on a fresh motor.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:09 AM
Registered

I was having a similar problem last week. I removed the blower and intake manifold for some repair. I put it back together twice only to find milkshake.

The problem was the intake manifold was coming in contact with the block before it sealed to the heads. I discovered this by resting the manifold with gaskets in place and checking the gap between the manifold and block. The gap was only about .010". Not near enough when the manifold is torqued down. I fixed the issue by using Fel-pro's 1/8" intake gaskets. They are twice the thickness of standard intake gaskets.

Hopefully this info helps. I know how frustrating this problem can be.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by e8411a
I was having a similar problem last week. I removed the blower and intake manifold for some repair. I put it back together twice only to find milkshake.

The problem was the intake manifold was coming in contact with the block before it sealed to the heads. I discovered this by resting the manifold with gaskets in place and checking the gap between the manifold and block. The gap was only about .010". Not near enough when the manifold is torqued down. I fixed the issue by using Fel-pro's 1/8" intake gaskets. They are twice the thickness of standard intake gaskets.

Hopefully this info helps. I know how frustrating this problem can be.
I will be sure to check that. They cut the ridges down on the manifold as well, and I guessing it had 030-040 of clearance. I will check that for sure tonight.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:14 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

My bad, thought you had solved water in cylinder problem but still had slime in top end.

Like you say, it's either the head/gasket or reversion.

500rpm is low, I believe that the lower the idle, the more likely you will see reversion.

leak down and compression test may rule out head issue.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:22 AM
Registered

I have the idle set @ 700RPM, I discovered it would idle @ 500 RPM smoothly while adjusting it. I hope it is not reversion, I was assured by Revolution that the cam I was running would be no problem with their exhaust. The Rhodes lifters were 'extra' insurance.

I am baffled by the presence of water in all 4 holes on the port side. My first assumption was exhaust, which was why I went to revolutions. I have never seen a head/gasket problem soak all 4 holes. If water was in 1 or 2 holes, it would make a lot more sense to me...

Thanks

PS, I have new external flappers on the tips.

Last edited by jmherbert; 05-22-2006 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:36 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

ok water in 4 holes the same side..

1/ exhaust manifold riser gasket, would explain all four.

2/ possible reversion, doesn't noramaly get all four

3/ intake snug to starboard head but not sealed to port head, possible, seems like you would have vacuum leak also.

are you running a crossover kit, do you know your water pressure?

even if it was leaking at the intake I cant see water in all four cylinders, maybe 1 and 7.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:12 PM
Registered

I'm sure its not the riser gasket, because the revolutions have a dry flange, the water is exchanged thru a hose between the riser and manifold.

Reversion seems to be a likely cause of the problem, but why only on one side? Also, I was assured that my combo was no problem for the Revolutions.

The intake I will have to check (again ) Maybe there is a angle problem; the mating surfaces are not parallel?

I am running with the circulation pump, and I do not know pressures.

I really appriciate the help. Thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jmherbert
Reversion seems to be a likely cause of the problem, but why only on one side? Also, I was assured that my combo was no problem for the Revolutions.
Just had an idea... I have low compression on #7, (125 psi at best). If the exhaust valve is not seating/sealing, it could be sucking exhaust back enough to cause reversion on that side!

Quick Reply: Still getting water in 1,3,5,7 (port cyls)!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.