Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496 HO Electrical gremlins >

496 HO Electrical gremlins

Notices

496 HO Electrical gremlins

Old 08-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK guys...i just read through all this and kinda think some of these descriptions match my problem but i'll give you a brief run down anyways....
Last weekend was running wide open down the lake, hit NOTHING! no waves, no chop, it was perfect glass! All of a sudden my rpm needle dropped to 0, warning alarm sounded, and i had no clue what was goin on so i just yanked back on throttle. Alarm stopped after 2-3 seconds. Everything was still good, motor still running, rpm reading accurate, all guages where they should be. So, i get goin again and just as i get to plane it happens again. Again, 2-3 seconds of alarm sounding and everything back to normal. Engine never died. check everything again...all normal. i take off again for the dock, after about 4 miles of it running just fine it does it again as i come off of plane to no wake zone. again...check it all out, it's ok. As i'm ideling into dock it does it a 4th time, but corrects itself after about 1 second. So, i have no idea what's goin on. I took it into shop and they're working on it currently. They replaced fuel pump, rewired kill switch (i had it messed up), and a few other things. They ran it on hose and got nothing. Took it to the lake and it DIED leaving the breakwall. Couldn't re-start it. Got a tow in and it fired as they got to the dock. WTF is up with my boat? They said they'd get the computer on it this week sometime and see what that says. I guess i'll just have to wait and see, but in the meantime...does this sound like what some of you were expierencing??? let me know please! thanks guys, i'm new to all of this.
BILL
BTW- it's a 496 mag HO in a 2002 baja outlaw
Old 08-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

You need the results from the scan tool when its hooked up to the ECM on the engine. Don't let a shop just start replacing things and making "WAGMAR's -Wild ass guesses made at random!" The active fault codes in the ECM as well as the stored history codes and event times will tell you what needs fix'in! Some questionable shops don't like these new fangled self diagnotics that Mercury provides with every 496, mostly because they might have to just fix a simple connection, sensor or such, no big profit there! good Luck let us know what they find.

Regards
Ray @ Raylar