Engine guru's/ fuel injectors >

Engine guru's/ fuel injectors

Notices

Engine guru's/ fuel injectors

Old 03-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
I just posted this message and see you guys have been discussing it.

Another thought on this subject is if you do need to run extreme psi to make you goal, then you need a fuel system that can cope with that much psi and flow. Smitty, are you using a box to increase your voltage to fuel pump to gain that high psi? And current draw on the fuel system could effect available voltage to the ECU. I found that to be the case in one situation.. Pulse Width Modulation driver circuits for low Z injectors noised up the 12v for the ECU. I installed a circuit that is a Peak and Hold driver circuit.
An option to consider is a low Z driver box. Not sure if the Merc ECU would be compatible with such a box. If it was, then your options open up a bit more. Do you spend money to make the fuel psi.. or buy bigger injectors and maybe a driver box?
I am going to try a mechanical pump this time around to lessen the load on the electrical system. It is cheaper than buying a new pump and controller box. I will be running 96lbs injectors and figure I will need about 55psi at max boost.

I agree with Smitty.. you probably ought to make a jump to the next size. And compare prices with low Z and high Z and what it might take to setup the system.
Dick
The increased power draw at WOT would also explain my huge voltage drop trying to trim at WOT. Correct?
Old 03-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bob,
I have always removed the vaccuum line to the regulator, keeping a solid psi. My Cutler used to hunt around, so I left it at one psi..
I guess in your situation (Smitty has more experience with the Mefi) you have to figure out what flow is needed at max power. Then work backwards from there. What ever boost you have has to be added to the psi that gives you the correct fuel flow. From there if you pull a vaccuum at idle the regulator will follow what is needed.
Two schools of thought: Too much psi at idle and you pulse width may have to be reduced below min open times, to get the motor lean enough to idle clean. With the regulator, you end up lowering fuel psi/flow, now you have longer PW and are still controlling the mixture, instead of running rich because you cant open and close it for such a short PW. So less psi at idle is good, to a point. At some point the fuel will dribble out of the injector instead of spraying.
With a regulator attached to the manifold, it will end up with what it is depending on manifold air pressure, be it boost or vaccuum.

Check this site out. http://www.megamanual.com/v22manual/minj.htm#size

The calcultor doesnt allow u to change bsfc, but there is a formula that you can do that with. A 63# inj with 53 psi should flow 69.5#. Working with their formulas, 850hp would need 79.6#/hr. That would be figuring .6 bsfc and 80% duty cycle.
Moving the numbers around.. .55 bsfc and 85% duty cycle.. I calculate a 68.75#/hr.. But I think that is cutting things too close. More psi..??
Go check it out, see what you come up with. When you are on the dyno, it should tell you what fuel the motor needs to live..
Hope this helps.
Dick

They give formulas and calculators for sizing. The Megasquirt is the ECU I am running. A wealth of knowledge there.

http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorcalc1.php4
another calculator site.

Last edited by Mr Gadgets; 03-16-2008 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:40 AM
Registered

Bob,
I have always removed the vaccuum line to the regulator, keeping a solid psi. My Cutler used to hunt around, so I left it at one psi..
I guess in your situation (Smitty has more experience with the Mefi) you have to figure out what flow is needed at max power. Then work backwards from there. What ever boost you have has to be added to the psi that gives you the correct fuel flow. From there if you pull a vaccuum at idle the regulator will follow what is needed.
Two schools of thought: Too much psi at idle and you pulse width may have to be reduced below min open times, to get the motor lean enough to idle clean. With the regulator, you end up lowering fuel psi/flow, now you have longer PW and are still controlling the mixture, instead of running rich because you cant open and close it for such a short PW. So less psi at idle is good, to a point. At some point the fuel will dribble out of the injector instead of spraying.
With a regulator attached to the manifold, it will end up with what it is depending on manifold air pressure, be it boost or vaccuum.

The calcultor doesnt allow u to change bsfc, but there is a formula that you can do that with. A 63# inj with 53 psi should flow 69.5#. Working with their formulas, 850hp would need 79.6#/hr. That would be figuring .6 bsfc and 80% duty cycle.
Moving the numbers around.. .55 bsfc and 85% duty cycle.. I calculate a 68.75#/hr.. But I think that is cutting things too close. More psi..??
Go check it out, see what you come up with. When you are on the dyno, it should tell you what fuel the motor needs to live..
Hope this helps.
Dick

They give formulas and calculators for sizing. The Megasquirt is the ECU I am running. A wealth of knowledge there.

another calculator site.
Thanks Dick,
I want this correct the first time I will spend hours doing my homework not to break it.
Bob
Old 03-16-2008, 02:08 AM
Registered

Bob,

Hope this helps.
Dick

another calculator site.
Any suggestions of someone who can dyno near northern IL.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:15 AM
Registered

Another thought on this subject is if you do need to run extreme psi to make you goal, then you need a fuel system that can cope with that much psi and flow. Smitty, are you using a box to increase your voltage to fuel pump to gain that high psi? And current draw on the fuel system could effect available voltage to the ECU. I found that to be the case in one situation.. Pulse Width Modulation driver circuits for low Z injectors noised up the 12v for the ECU. I installed a circuit that is a Peak and Hold driver circuit.
An option to consider is a low Z driver box. Not sure if the Merc ECU would be compatible with such a box. If it was, then your options open up a bit more. Do you spend money to make the fuel psi.. or buy bigger injectors and maybe a driver box?
I am going to try a mechanical pump this time around to lessen the load on the electrical system. It is cheaper than buying a new pump and controller box. I will be running 96lbs injectors and figure I will need about 55psi at max boost.

I agree with Smitty.. you probably ought to make a jump to the next size. And compare prices with low Z and high Z and what it might take to setup the system.
Dick
Dick,
Let's pretend I go this route. What can I expect to spend and what about the computer.
Bob
Old 03-16-2008, 09:44 AM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Seems to me, we all spend a ton of money building these blower motors. If they are done right they are capable of over 2 HP per cubic inch. We run them hard, we expect them to live. The most important part is the fuel system.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Dick
Dick,with your electrical experience you ought to design a "conversion box" that allows guys with mefi ecu's and cheap aftermarket fuel injection systems like the holley/accell to drive low impedance injectors. It would be interesting because there are quite a few guys like me who would be running bigger injectors but are limited to the 60/63 lb siemens that are available,Smitty
Old 03-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RBeyer
I appreciate all of the feedback. The calculator is interesting but does not allow for increased fuel pressure. Smitty and Dick, so if I go with the 63lb and run my current fuel setup (Aeromotive red with vacuum increase) I should be in good shape? I currently run 36 psi at idle. will that need to be changed.
Bob
if you go on this link it will allow you to change the fuel pressure to see what the injector will deliver,Smitty
http://www.csgnetwork.com/fiflowcalc.html
Old 03-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The increased power draw at WOT would also explain my huge voltage drop trying to trim at WOT. Correct?
I'm running a kenne-bell voltage booster to my fuel pump that changes the output pressure to about 80 psi after 5 psi of boost,it draws alot of current,in a earlier post of yours we discussed this,I went to a 100 plus amp alternator long ago because my stock one couldn't keep up. I also run small battery cables from my alternator to where it ties into the electrical system. I also use a 50 amp bosch relay and 10 gauge wire to my fuel pump,I know it draws alot because I have blown a 25 amp fuse to it before at wot,it needs a 30amp to keep from blowing,Smitty
Old 03-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I appreciate all of the feedback. The calculator is interesting but does not allow for increased fuel pressure. Smitty and Dick, so if I go with the 63lb and run my current fuel setup (Aeromotive red with vacuum increase) I should be in good shape? I currently run 36 psi at idle. will that need to be changed.
Bob
your aeromotive 1000 fuel pump will have a hard time keeping up with 63 lb injectors,at 75 psi they are 82.7 lb injectors. a aeromotive 1000 pump puts out 600 lbs per hour at 43.5 psi, barely enough to feed 8- 63 lb injectors (8x 63=504 lbs) at 70 psi the output drops to 400lbs per hour,8-82.7s lb injectors need 661 lbs (at 75 psi) so a bigger fuel pump will be in your future. The aeromitive ratings are also at 13.5 volts at the pump,if it drops to 12 volts you can take another 100 lbs per hour off its rating.
http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/product...sub=1&prod=164
click on "specs" after you open the aeromotive page and you will see a flow table with voltage vs ouput pressure vs lbs per hr
Smitty

Quick Reply: Engine guru's/ fuel injectors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.