Notices

Plug Wires?

Old 05-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plug Wires?

I just purchased a set of Taylor 8.2mm wires for my 502. The previous set of stock Merc. wires are a bit longer. In order to install the new wires I had to bring them over my Manifolds (Gil) to the distrib. as opposed to under the manifolds, back of the engine, and up to the distrib. .
Has anybody ever run their wire over the Mani's or do they get to warm? Apperently the set of wires I recieved from Summit wasn't even a marine application. I called Tayler direct, and the tech said it was better to have shorter than longer wires for max perf. . Should I just go get a new set of 7mm Merc. wires are keep the new ones?
Old 05-08-2008, 03:47 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 911 Posts

You can get Taylors that are the correct length or the cut to fit ones.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
You can get Taylors that are the correct length or the cut to fit ones.

Hi - I'm in the market for plug wires for a new build - 2x496 with Jacobs Electronic ignition. According to Jacobs I need spiral wound wires, but I presume this requirement isn't unusual with HO ignition of any brand?
I'm looking for part numbers that would serve the purpose, if anyone has 'em handy?
Old 08-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Registered

Need-the-speed...

What results did you come up with on the new plug wires. I am curious to know because I am having some problems with my spark plug wires as well.

I just replaced my plug wires and I took a new path instead of going where the factory had run them and now I am having problems. Could this be an electrical interference or do I possibly have something else wrong?

Just curious what you found out on your project. Any other advice from others would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Truttles77
Need-the-speed...

What results did you come up with on the new plug wires. I am curious to know because I am having some problems with my spark plug wires as well.

I just replaced my plug wires and I took a new path instead of going where the factory had run them and now I am having problems. Could this be an electrical interference or do I possibly have something else wrong?

Just curious what you found out on your project. Any other advice from others would be greatly appreciated.
Since I did the install I haven't had any issues. I did Boot 8" Heat resistant boots over the plug ends to ensure nothing gets to hot. You probaby already checked and rechecked your install but if you haven't make sure you didn't jossel anything while you installed the wires....i.e: Distrib, wiring harness, etc. etc. Oh yeah, it's always a good idea to change the rotor if you haven't done so in a while. When yo pop off the cap you'll know right away if there is a moisture issue. Hope it helps.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:32 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not run them over the manifolds..to much heat there