Help :454 problems

Notices

Help :454 problems

Old 05-13-2002, 08:12 AM
Charter Member #37 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help :454 problems

My Bilge pump failed the other day and water got into the engine comp to about the water pump pulleys water got into the engine. I drained both engines put a quart of tranny fluid in with oil ran for a while and change again. I was out last night and had trouble with both engines. The starboard engine would not start the starter just clicked. The battery read 12.03 volts i tried to jump it off with the other
batterys no luck.Ok so i can limp back on the other well while limping back the port engine started to sputter really bad i stopped put it in nuetral rev the engine and it clears up. I start again and after a couple of minutes it starts doing it again. HELP I'm to the breaking point.
Thanks,
David

C. P. B. A. Carolina Power Boat Assoc
Old 05-13-2002, 09:01 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With that high of a water level, you submurged your starter. Both of them should be removed and torn down. Also do your trim pump if it was submurged. Regrease the coupler, and pull the drive and clean out the gimble as water will be trapped in it. You may end up replacing the gimble bearing if got damaged.
Old 05-13-2002, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like electronics are wet. Pull Dist. caps,wipe out,spray with WD40. Also spray any electronics with WD40 Spray starters,Alt. Wd40 Displaces Water works like a charm...Leave hatches open to dry out for a few days youmay be OK!
Old 05-13-2002, 09:24 AM
Charter Member #37 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Guys

C. P. B. A. Carolina Power Boat Assoc
Old 05-13-2002, 05:24 PM
Registered

Sounds like you are treating the symtoms of the real problem.. which is... how did that much water get into your bilge? I'd take a hard look at that. Never count on a bilge pump to keep the boat afloat. It is really a last line of defense. If your water was high enough to get into the starter, there is a good chance the alternators are toast too. That may be why the other engine started acting up... it was dropping below 10-12 volts.

Good luck,

BT
Old 05-14-2002, 09:28 PM
Registered

Take starters and alternators apart and dry them out- use a hair dryer or lo temp bake in oven- 150 degrees or so. Electric motor and alternator windings get moisture trapped inside them and take a while to dry out.

If it got wet, dry out the distributor with a hair dryer also. You will get condensation forming in your distributor cap if the distributor has any water in it. Water in the pickup area can cause problems, and rust. Soak it all down with WD-40 or other light oil after drying out.

Also check engine wiring plugs, such as the main harness connectors. These can be cleaned, dryed, and coated with dielectric grease or at least WD-40.

Mix 1/5 Capt Morgans rum, 1 qt. Coca Cola, and crushed ice in a douche bag- the more well used, the better. Liberally coat your brain with this mixture, and all will be otay.

Bulldog aka ronnie
Old 05-15-2002, 05:47 PM
Registered

PB Blaster works well as a water expeller too.

Hemmmmm.. douch bag to mix mixxed drinks.... and I've been using a tumbler all along. Bulldog sounds like one hell of a guy to party with!!

BT

Last edited by blue thunder; 05-15-2002 at 05:52 PM.