Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Procharger idler bracket/ modifications questions >

Procharger idler bracket/ modifications questions

Notices

Procharger idler bracket/ modifications questions

Old 09-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Smitty, good luck I still think the blower is flexing under high RPM causing the belt shredding....can you set up a camera to watch it after a run ?? like they say pics worth a 1000 words...andway hope your weather is better than here..wash out last weekend and this once looks worse so far..want to test with your pulley bad !!! Rob
Old 09-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I do understand what everyone is saying about the main bracket flexing and I am having Randie/CNC build me a better one this winter BUT for many years the stock bracket has worked even at 12-14 psi of boost and belt shredding was never a problem until tensioner became worn (which they quickly do when tigthened as tight as they need to be to make boost without slipping). I am finding there is 2 problems I ran into/created with the new tensioner as mentioned in my last post, there is simply not enough spring tension from the m-5 tensioner when compared to my old one to keep belt from slipping and the new tensioner is not perfectly aligned which along with flex is shredding blower belts. Thru trial and error I think shimming the mounting bracket I have new tensioner on will solve the shredding problem for now and the 3 bbc inner valve springs I replaced the stock m-5 spring with will keep belt tighter as I have 220-240 psi of tension on the belt now vs 120, we'll see Sunday, Smitty
Old 09-24-2011, 07:40 AM
Registered

stay tuned film @ 11 !!! good luck !
Old 09-25-2011, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ran boat, put new, slightly shorter green stripe belt on. Because belt was shorter m-5 tensioner was compressed FURTHER than what I set the springs to rsulting in too much belt pressure. It clearly was bending the supercharger bracket AND belt was running into the idler pulley and actually FOLDING but it didn't shred. Boat made 10-11 psi even with this set-up, idler pulley was so hot you couldn't touch it though. Tied up to the dock and moved tensioner out further, bolted it to one set of the mounting holes vs 2, now instead of being too compressed it had to be extended FARTHER out then last time I had boat out. I drove it this way, belt slipped, let it out further and further until I saw belt FOLDING again on pulley, tightened it back 1/2 turn from there and was able to get full boost out of it but it is sure mickey-moused. I'm going to bolt a stock tensioner (like my 2 wore out ones) that someone is sending me from Indiana before winter comes just to get a clear idea of what the real problem is. I will know how much spring force you really need to keep belt from slipping when I measure the spring tension on the m-5 tensioner at its current extended length, somewhere between thev 120 psi it came with and the 240psi I had at my marked plunger length from before ,Smitty
Old 09-26-2011, 06:25 AM
Registered

Smitty, can you use a lighter spring and then use some shims to dial the pressure in for a certain belt ?
Old 09-26-2011, 01:50 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Here are a couple of pics I took, with idler shimmed perfect so that the pulley is centered you rev it up and once it flexes the blower bracket the belt climbs onto the idler wheel and then was actually running folded, I f I shim the idler out further it starts shredding (or in the case of this green belt) it folds and runs all screwed up on the idler. I am going to stick a stock tensioner back on it that someone is sending me and see wtf is going on!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Procharger idler bracket/ modifications questions-florida-004.jpg   Procharger idler bracket/ modifications questions-florida-005.jpg   Procharger idler bracket/ modifications questions-florida-006.jpg  

Procharger idler bracket/ modifications questions-florida-007.jpg  
Old 09-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ezstriper
Smitty, can you use a lighter spring and then use some shims to dial the pressure in for a certain belt ?
That would be no problem, the thing is though once I moved it further away yesterday I kept letting the tensioner out and it kept slipping, I reached a point where it folded the belt and flexed the main bracket and just a thread or 2 back on the adjuster it didn't slip and didn't fold the belt BUT it should not be that touchy!!