Procharger idler bracket/ modifications questions

Notices

Procharger idler bracket/ modifications questions

Old 08-15-2011, 12:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 824 Likes on 377 Posts
Default Procharger idler bracket/ modifications questions

I have been running a m-3sc procharger for around 10 years, could never get consistent boost with the 8 rib drive pulleys/belts once I started using a upper pulley under 4.00 inches so a long time ago I converted mine to 12 rib wide drive. 2 years ago I couldn't make as much boost as normal and felt belt was slipping, when I tightened up the tensioner enough to get slip to stop it cocked the tensioner enough compounded by wear in the point where it swivels and it almost immediately shredded the 12 rib belt when it tried to run cockeyed. I had some used tensioner parts laying around from a spare set-up, stuck them on and it ran good for another 30 hours.
Was just on Vacation, boat was only making 1/2 as much boost as normal, tightened up tensioner a little more and boost came right back and it shredded my belt after a short time (minutes). The tensioner sucks, as you actually tighten it enough to get slip to stop it has so much leverage on it that it wears uneven then always cocks pulling belt off center and trying to drag it off pulley ribs. Instead of me giving Procharger anymore of my cash I am looking for permanent solutions others may have found, Smitty
Old 08-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I been told a m-5 tensioner can be made to work but not sure with stock bracket for m-3 if this is do-able. I also found a bracket that reichard sells that might work but they haven't called me back yet
http://www.reichardracing.com/images...tensioner2.jpg
Old 08-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much boost are you making, or make when the belt is not slipping?? I have talked to a bunch of guys, including procharger, they have said that they have exp more belt slip with the 12 rib then with the 8.. Sounded funny to me, but it has been from even the guys at procharger.. With a 4'' pulley using a 7.65 crank pulley, I would think that would only be about 10 or so psi on a 4-500 cube engine.. Have you checked into different pulleys.. Reichard makes a pulley that has grooves cut into it for added grip also..

John jr
Old 08-15-2011, 05:08 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

No clue what you're running but, we never had luck with the stock Procharger brackets, they bend and the belt slips. Didn't matter which tensioner 4 or 5.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

tey adding a rear support to the procharger bracket to keep it from flexing..
Old 08-15-2011, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
How much boost are you making, or make when the belt is not slipping?? I have talked to a bunch of guys, including procharger, they have said that they have exp more belt slip with the 12 rib then with the 8.. Sounded funny to me, but it has been from even the guys at procharger.. With a 4'' pulley using a 7.65 crank pulley, I would think that would only be about 10 or so psi on a 4-500 cube engine.. Have you checked into different pulleys.. Reichard makes a pulley that has grooves cut into it for added grip also..

John jr
I used to run 8 rib belts and pulleys, once I started using a upper pulley that was under 4.00" in dia I could NEVER get belt to not slip some or make boost consistently. A few years ago I stuck one of my old 8 rib belts on my 12 rib pulleys while waiting for a new belt, slipped like there was no tommorrow so I think the Procharger guys are blowing sunshine on that subject, they were happy to sell me the 3.85 and 3.70 dia 8 rib pulleys years ago and when I called asking how to get my boost to be consistent everytime they told me that 12 ribs or cog drive would be the only answer and I was wasting my time with the 8 rib. I converted to 12 rib and it was night and day better than the 8 rib ever was as far as consistently making boost.
Recently however, I have had problems with getting belts to live once they are tight enough to not slip (they still need to be pretty tight even with 12 ribs). The idler pivot bracket is wore out and not the greatest design, I was hoping someone had found something better to switch to instead of going the same route. I could probably buy the stuff new again from procharger and it would work fine for another 5 years though as it did work well at one point, Smitty
Old 08-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Fenderjack

John jr
I run 12-15 psi of boost depending on air density and my upper pulley choice. I am definately going to look at having Reichard groove my upper pulleys as I have heard you can run much less belt tension at same boost levels, could never get them to call me back last time I was looking at this, called them today again now that I am re-visting this and got the same thing I did a few years ago though, voice mail, Smitty
Old 08-15-2011, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by GPM
No clue what you're running but, we never had luck with the stock Procharger brackets, they bend and the belt slips. Didn't matter which tensioner 4 or 5.
I dropped of my spare bracket at a CNC guy we both know to look at building something stronger but I think he's been tied up changing JETS on his Procharged twin catamaran all summer, Smitty
Old 08-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
tey adding a rear support to the procharger bracket to keep it from flexing..
I seen them today on some websites and it seems like part of the solution, Smitty
Old 08-15-2011, 07:49 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I dropped of my spare bracket at a CNC guy we both know to look at building something stronger but I think he's been tied up changing JETS on his Procharged twin catamaran all summer, Smitty
I don't know if the 3 bolts up the same as the 4, if so he has one of mine that he didn't use, it's set up for the 5 tensioner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.