Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Procharging and boost referencing? >

Procharging and boost referencing?

Notices

Procharging and boost referencing?

Old 11-17-2012, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched the fuel pressure gauge at idle while I winterized this afternoon, and it was reading 48 pounds.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Rob, I am going to call you, half that stuff is just garbage. The signal conditioner is a big bandaid that needs to go in the trash along with that POS regulator. The reason for the signal conditioner is when you don't run a stat and motor is running at 100-120 degrees (which helps your ability to run more boost and timing on less octane) it tricks motor into thing its warmed up so the ecu doesn't stay in warm up enrichment mode. The boost compenasting regulator from procharger is a terible pos, seems like no one can ever get one to work the same twice, they are bandaids that were popular 12 years ago but there are much better ways to do things nowadays (put proper size injectors in motor and tune for it at a linear fuel pressure, reprogram ecu to quit adding fuel at table below temp yolur boat runs w/o a stat in it), Smitty
Old 11-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by rob vanharten
Okay, I brought this boat home last Saturday after purchasing it. I had a chance to go over it some more this am, and can speak with some more accuracy. The boat does have the procharger regulater on it. It also has what appears to be a custom pickup from the tank (bigger) and it get returned to the tank as well. It's all big lines not sure on exact size, I am going to try to figure that out. They are earls fittings. I am going to attach some pics of this as well. The computer is definitely the mefi3. Also found a small procharger module that taps into a temp sensor and the factory harness as well. It called a ect signal conditioner. Would I unhook this module if I had ecu tuned for bigger injectors and the 7/8 pounds of boost? Which regulater should I be running on this setup with the tuned ecu and bigger injectors? Are is the rest of my fuel system up the task? My 5 pound pulley measures 4.25, and the other pulley that came Withe the boat measures 3.75. Will that smaller pulley put be into the 7/8 pound range? Photos coming!
Is your M-3 a self contained? If your crank pulley is around 8" your 509 should have about 15 psi of boost with a 3.750 top pulley , if its a regular m-3 ignore what I said as I am only familar with the m-3sc, Smitty
Old 11-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Rob, you may want to remove that pickup and check it. It looks as though it's the stock pickup with a different adapter fitting installed. That pickup should have a plastic pickup tube. The problem is the hole that connects that aluminum piece at the top to the tube is pretty small. On top of that, when the blue adapter is screwed in, it ends up blocking off part of the hole. I have seen them where the hole is only about 3/16" after the adapter fitting is installed.

It depends on which version of fuel rail you have as to if the injector change is easy or not. If it's the later version and uses the shorty injectors, then no problem installing larger ones. If it's the earlier one that uses the Kiehin injectors, then it's a little more involved. The rail and manifold can be drilled out to accept long Mototron injectors. I've done quite a few of them. Give me a shout if I can help.

Also, as mentioned, get rid of the POS regulator and tune it correctly on the dyno. Smitty can certianly help you out. LEt me know if I can help in any way.
Eddie
Old 11-17-2012, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

accel makes injectors that will fit and come in diff lb applications..

http://www.summitracing.com/search/B...FexAMgodLxkAKQ

match the body and ohme out your's for the correct ohm impedance and 50lb? 60 lb ?

Last edited by FIXX; 11-17-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Registered

I have had a couple great conversation with Smitty today. He really knows his stuff!!! Anyways, when I look at my current rail and injectors there is only about an inch maybe a touch more of injector body showing between rail and intake manifold. I am pretty sure these would be the shorty. Smitty has already directed me on to the correct injector to run in its place. Also Eddie I will be changing the regulater ASAP as well. I will be running a steady fuel psi, and letting the larger injectors and new mefi3 tune do its thing. Smitty is thinking dropping from my current 4.25 pulley at 5 pounds boost to the 3.75 pulley should make around 7-9 pounds.

Eddie, the fittings appear to be -10 through out the fuel system, maybe -12 not 100 percent sure. Some one defiantly welded in a larger pickup, and or larger fitting for the -10/12 Earl fitting. Seeing as its all welded into the tank I am not real sure how I could tell if it was just a fitting welded on top of a stock pickup? Either way can I provide enough volume for 750hp? After the new regulater and injectors of course.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

It's hard to tell from the pics if the pickup tube is welded into the tank or if it's part of the fitting. The best bet is to pull it out and have a look. If the tube is welded in the tank, then there is nothing to do. Just make sure the aluminum fitting on top has a large enough hole in it. If it has the plastic pickup tube attached to that aluminum fitting, it needs to be change. Just pull it out and see what you have. It should only take a few minutes. And that is -10 hose.
Eddie
Old 11-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

as Eddie says you need to pull off the fitting and make sure. it could be as small as 3/8" or even 1/4" plastic tubing on the fitting or if you are lucky they welded in a 1/2" or bigger tube and it is just a fitting. if it is just a fitting I would throw it out and put a straight fitting in the tank and a sweep 90 hose end on the hose. those drilled 90 degree fittings knock the heck out of the flow rate.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:25 PM
Registered

So what you guys are saying is unscrew the 90 degree fitting from the welded on tube/adapter and I should be able to tell from how large that opening is if I am good or not? Would the stock plastic pick up tube thread right onto the bottom of that welded in fitting, if it is in fact not a complete larger pickup tube.

Just curious if I had to install a new larger pickup, how do you go about cutting a new hole and welding in a new pickup tube with the tank in the boat, with fuel in it!!!?
Old 11-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Registered

Okay here are some pictuers of the pickup tube, and 90 degree elbow. The smallest part of the whole assembly is the long pickup tube section with the screen on it. It measures 1/2 inch O.D. Should I have a larger pickup butt welded to the bottom of the 90 degree fitting. Everything else it pretty big.
Attached Thumbnails Procharging and boost referencing?-imag0466.jpg   Procharging and boost referencing?-imag0470.jpg   Procharging and boost referencing?-imag0472.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.