Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Boat never got wet this summer - need advice ! >

Boat never got wet this summer - need advice !

Notices

Boat never got wet this summer - need advice !

Old 12-31-2013, 06:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
it may be easier if you have access to the fuel level sender, to pull that to pump the tank. a lot of boat tanks make hard 90;s right where the filler enters tha tank and makes it hard to stuff in a hose.
I will try that - Deffinatly turns hard into the tank and could not get the hose past that point !

Thanks
Old 12-31-2013, 06:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HyFive578
I drain my tanks when I winterize my boat. I use a small 12V micro electric fuel pump (Mr. Gasket makes one and it's cheap); I disconnect the hard line going into the fuel filter and hook up the inlet side of the 12V pump to that line; put the other end into a gas can and pump all the gas out. This of course assumes you have a shut-off valve between your fuel pump/filter and the gas tank so you can stop the flow of gas while you disconnect everything.

You will have to get some additional fittings to mate the fuel hose to the hardline, but it's still pretty easy. In my case, I have a 525EFI and I just used the elbow that connects the hardline to the filter base. On one side, it's a 3/8" MPT and the other an SAE/AN fitting. I put a 5/16" hose barb to 3/8 MPT adaptor on the hose end and then a 3/8" to 3/8" coupler to connect the fuel hose to the elbow. The SAE/AN end stays connected to the hardline.

You will want to wire a switch to the pump (as I did) to make turning it on and off easier; you don't want to keep detaching/re-attaching to the battery terminals while you've got gas fumes all over the place. I took about 50-60 gallons out of each tank this way.
+1,, mine has a on board electric pump that i just unplug and run jumper wire pig tail i made up to a jump box and then disconnect the line at the carb and run it to the fuel tank in my suburban..
Old 12-31-2013, 07:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I drain my tanks when I winterize my boat. I use a small 12V micro electric fuel pump (Mr. Gasket makes one and it's cheap); I disconnect the hard line going into the fuel filter and hook up the inlet side of the 12V pump to that line; put the other end into a gas can and pump all the gas out. This of course assumes you have a shut-off valve between your fuel pump/filter and the gas tank so you can stop the flow of gas while you disconnect everything.

You will have to get some additional fittings to mate the fuel hose to the hardline, but it's still pretty easy. In my case, I have a 525EFI and I just used the elbow that connects the hardline to the filter base. On one side, it's a 3/8" MPT and the other an SAE/AN fitting. I put a 5/16" hose barb to 3/8 MPT adaptor on the hose end and then a 3/8" to 3/8" coupler to connect the fuel hose to the elbow. The SAE/AN end stays connected to the hardline.

You will want to wire a switch to the pump (as I did) to make turning it on and off easier; you don't want to keep detaching/re-attaching to the battery terminals while you've got gas fumes all over the place. I took about 50-60 gallons out of each tank this way.
Thanks for the input and laying it out in detail like you did, this will truly help me out as I've never done this !
Old 12-31-2013, 07:30 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rwbrew3
Thanks for the input and laying it out in detail like you did, this will truly help me out as I've never done this !
No problem. If you can.. take a picture of your fuel pump / fuel filter base and post it in this thread. might be able to guide you on the fittings to use...

this is the pump I used... http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-12S-...pr_product_top
Old 12-31-2013, 07:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

No problem. If you can.. take a picture of your fuel pump / fuel filter base and post it in this thread. might be able to guide you on the fittings to use...

this is the pump I used... http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Gasket-12S-...pr_product_top
I will do that, just not sure when I will tackle it! Really appreciate the help!!

Thanks
Old 01-01-2014, 05:32 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
+1,, mine has a on board electric pump that i just unplug and run jumper wire pig tail i made up to a jump box and then disconnect the line at the carb and run it to the fuel tank in my suburban..
I run my pump off an 18 volt drill battery. The pump is much louder than of a 12 volt battery and pumps the fuel out alot faster :-)
Old 01-01-2014, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My advice for the future, should you have this problem is: bring the boat to Long Island where there is plenty of water and let me put it to use. I have plenty of time on my hands. Problem solved.

Happy new year
Old 01-01-2014, 09:16 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by raytart
My advice for the future, should you have this problem is: bring the boat to Long Island where there is plenty of water and let me put it to use. I have plenty of time on my hands. Problem solved.

Happy new year

Where there's an option that never crossed my mind! Hahaha. -

happy new year !!!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Yep I think the only viable option is that you move where you can actually put her in the water!! S La is a good place to start!! A place where if your hatch is up, someone will actually stop to see if you need help and if you have enough beer, you could even get towed!!

Speaking of which, I just got promoted in which I inherited another warehouse in shreveport and will be spending a lot of time up there the next few months... we should get together, I will be staying at the horseshoe when in town.. y'all should visit!!
Old 01-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by nailit
Yep I think the only viable option is that you move where you can actually put her in the water!! S La is a good place to start!! A place where if your hatch is up, someone will actually stop to see if you need help and if you have enough beer, you could even get towed!!

Speaking of which, I just got promoted in which I inherited another warehouse in shreveport and will be spending a lot of time up there the next few months... we should get together, I will be staying at the horseshoe when in town.. y'all should visit!!
I will take you up on that this summer, have to get through this hunting season then I will be wide open to do whatever !! Love to put the boat in the water, levels here are still too low for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.