Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
what transom work is needed to convert TRS to SSMIII drives? >

what transom work is needed to convert TRS to SSMIII drives?

Notices

what transom work is needed to convert TRS to SSMIII drives?

Old 08-03-2016, 10:05 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

55,000... if it did not have blower hatches I would ALMOST consider dealing with the arnesons....

Originally Posted by J-Bonz
Did you find out how much they were asking for that?
Old 08-03-2016, 10:48 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
yea, I had 3 gear fails last year in 10 hours, seems it was a bad case, I have 50 on my spare with lots of abuse and still going... 630 hp 640TQ, the 3's I am looking at are just 3's, not 3A, so I think engine height is same, jack back some... looking at options...
Not to derail this discussion, but besides the "A", what is the main difference between the 3 and 3A?
Old 08-03-2016, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Biff
Not to derail this discussion, but besides the "A", what is the main difference between the 3 and 3A?
3a has larger propshaft , larger vertical shaft, larger spur gears, most had straight cut gears which are stronger, and several other beefier parts. Dimension wise, they are the same.
Old 08-04-2016, 05:28 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

isn't a 3A shorter also? cannot remember..

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
3a has larger propshaft , larger vertical shaft, larger spur gears, most had straight cut gears which are stronger, and several other beefier parts. Dimension wise, they are the same.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

The ONLY way I will convert this boat is if I get the right doner boat to get ALL parts free... I am not going to "out of pocket" 20-25,000 more for drives, the TRS will stay before I do that, at that point I will part mine out and buy one with 3's there are many deals out there...
Tim, that's the best way buy one done, if I do another boat it will have the drives I want

Edit: I was surprised @ MT picture that showed the #3 being just a bit shorter than the TRS

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 08-04-2016 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I love my boat so it would be hard to change in the near future, it would be cool to have 3's on this hull that rides gel rest and solid as a rock, then add some boost after this boat in the 80's would be a blast!
Originally Posted by 33outlawsst
Tim, that's the best way buy one done, if I do another boat it will have the drives I want

Edit: I was surprised @ MT picture that showed the #3 being just a bit shorter than the TRS
Old 08-04-2016, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

don't want them hanging that far off boat, we swim a lot!!

there is aa mistress local with Arnesons and they stick out FAR.....
Bustle it to cover the props and brag you've got the world's only 42' Mistress!
Old 08-04-2016, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a plywood jig for a number III cut out if you need it. I am cutting my holes this weekend, so I won't need it after that. I also know where a complete donor boat is with 3A's, transmissions and motors for 5 grand. The will need to be gone through but that's cheap for all that hardware.

Does anyone have a picture of the inside of the engine room with just a transmission set in? I wanted to see some different ideas on installation.
Thanks,
Old 08-04-2016, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie77905
I have a plywood jig for a number III cut out if you need it. I am cutting my holes this weekend, so I won't need it after that. I also know where a complete donor boat is with 3A's, transmissions and motors for 5 grand. The will need to be gone through but that's cheap for all that hardware.

Does anyone have a picture of the inside of the engine room with just a transmission set in? I wanted to see some different ideas on installation.
Thanks,
I sent you a pm...............if the OP is not interested
Old 08-04-2016, 08:25 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Can you pm me details or text me about doner? 440-476-4114
Originally Posted by Jamie77905

Thanks,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.