Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
what transom work is needed to convert TRS to SSMIII drives? >

what transom work is needed to convert TRS to SSMIII drives?

Notices

what transom work is needed to convert TRS to SSMIII drives?

Old 08-04-2016, 04:29 PM
Registered

Received 410 Likes on 183 Posts

Tim do you think you would pick up any mph switching to #3 from trs?
Old 08-04-2016, 04:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

No, most likely not, maybe even lose a tad, but the reliability more then doubles, plus I can add boost later that the TRS will not take...

Originally Posted by Craney
Tim do you think you would pick up any mph switching to #3 from trs?
Old 08-04-2016, 08:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Its very easy to convert from TRS to SSM3...and vice versa. Really the SSM3 has a larger opening, so really not much if any filling in. I converted an SSM3 boat to TRS (all I had laying around at the time). It was minimal work to plug holes again for SSM3.
The SSM3 will move the motor slightly forward (about 2 inches) and you will DEFINITELY gain speed. Have you seen the SSM3 lower compared to a TRS: huge difference, smaller case, nice cone, less resistance etc.
You could also get lucky and be able to raise X dimension without filling too much either.
Ive had 800hp in front of my SSM3s for 300hrs. No issues besides changing oil.
Meanwhile, with TRS I had 415HP and blew a lower within 50 hrs....

Get some and don't look back.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I figured they took a few more HP to spin so didn't look to gain, maybe maybe not, I hope I get the doner boat I am looking at we will see!!

Originally Posted by Rambocj7
Its very easy to convert from TRS to SSM3...and vice versa. Really the SSM3 has a larger opening, so really not much if any filling in. I converted an SSM3 boat to TRS (all I had laying around at the time). It was minimal work to plug holes again for SSM3.
The SSM3 will move the motor slightly forward (about 2 inches) and you will DEFINITELY gain speed. Have you seen the SSM3 lower compared to a TRS: huge difference, smaller case, nice cone, less resistance etc.
You could also get lucky and be able to raise X dimension without filling too much either.
Ive had 800hp in front of my SSM3s for 300hrs. No issues besides changing oil.
Meanwhile, with TRS I had 415HP and blew a lower within 50 hrs....

Get some and don't look back.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Tim, maybe this will help give you a visual. I dug out some gaskets. TRS gasket is the smaller one. 3,4,5 gasket is the larger one.
Attached Thumbnails what transom work is needed to convert TRS to SSMIII drives?-20160804_210911.jpg   what transom work is needed to convert TRS to SSMIII drives?-20160804_210752.jpg  
Old 08-04-2016, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
No, most likely not, maybe even lose a tad, but the reliability more then doubles, plus I can add boost later that the TRS will not take...
My inner voice: I should sell this and buy a boat already equipped with what I need.
My outer mouth: F*** that - momma didn't raise no quitter!

Lol
Old 08-04-2016, 09:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I love the mistress so I wanna keep it. Now would I go spend 15-25,000.00 on parts to convert? No way.... But.... If I can buy a compete boat at a deal, keep conversion parts I need and still break even selling the rest or make $$? Then yes I will convert the boat I love... That's the plan anyway!!

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster
My inner voice: I should sell this and buy a boat already equipped with what I need.
My outer mouth: F*** that - momma didn't raise no quitter!

Lol
Old 08-04-2016, 09:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

So if height is same for engines then I don't need to do transom work it looks like.
Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
Tim, maybe this will help give you a visual. I dug out some gaskets. TRS gasket is the smaller one. 3,4,5 gasket is the larger one.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:33 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Full Force
So if height is same for engines then I don't need to do transom work it looks like.
That is correct. Only thing is the engines move forward a little. If you find a pair of boxes and run drive shafts you don't even need to move the motors... However the parts for the carriers in the boxes are difficult to find. I do have a machinist that can make all the carrier pieces as well as transom assembly hardware. We just completed a speed master transom assembly that we made all new hardware for with more modern hardware. Inconel pins and delrin bushings throughout.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

How would it work ( meaning perform ) with a 2 up box mounted in the TRS drive location, essentially raising the X two inches

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.