Winterization Question >

Winterization Question

Notices

Winterization Question

Old 10-02-2003, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterization Question

Boating season is starting to come to an end in the midwest. I have had my Baja for 9 years and have drained the engine (454) every year and filled it with antifreeze. This year I was thinking about hooking my outdrive up to a hose, starting the engine and getting it hot, and then sucking antifreeze/water mix through the outdrive until it starts blowing out through the thru-hull exhaust. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work? If it does, it would be nice because I could wait until later in the year and maybe use the boat once or twice more before doing this (already changed my oil & drive fluid). Thanks.
Old 10-02-2003, 10:55 PM
Registered

That's the way I've done it for years.....I'd drain the block and oil cooler first so as to not dilute the AF mixture.
Old 10-03-2003, 07:53 AM
daven

Default 454

pull all plugs after running, run on camco antifreeze, if card fog while running enjoy winter

Dave

Old 10-03-2003, 08:52 AM
Registered

That's how i've always done it also. Just make sure you have somebody up by the key ready to shut it off. It will drain a 5 gallon bucket of your antifreeze/water mixture pretty fast. I tried to do it alone 1 time and ended up scorching the impeller when i slipped off the ladder trying to get back into the boat to shut it off fast enough. All that antifreeze all over the ground makes the bottom of your shoes pretty slippery.!

If i'd only had a camera, i'd have been 10000 bucks richer from america's funniest videos. Woulda payed for the impeller.........
Old 10-03-2003, 08:54 AM
Registered

O, 1 other tip. Remove the thermostat before you start it up. Then there's no question that it's going through the whole motor, and you don't hafta wait forever for the engine to warm up...... Throw it in the glove box with the drain plug and you won't forget it in the spring.!
Old 10-04-2003, 10:55 AM
Registered

Thanks for the tip; with the thermostat out you can be sure it's getting everywhere. I think I will just set the bucket on my swim platform! By the way, how much does a big block without a closed cooling system hold? I wasn't sure if 5 gallons is enough.