sea strainers install? >

sea strainers install?

Notices

sea strainers install?

Old 03-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sea strainers install?

Need a little advice about sea strainers install, I'm going in front of the engines side by side split by the center stringer. is it ok to install a 90 right out of the sea strainer to the pump? also need stainless fittings anyone have a source? they are the Marine Machine brand going on a 388 Hustler. pictures would be great. Thanks Jeff
Old 03-02-2005, 11:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: sea strainers install?

Jeff--

I have 90's coming out of my strainers--but they are ones that make a radiused bend as opposed to 90 degree angle--if that makes sense. Be careful about using stainless fittings. Mine are all bronze but then I used the PERKO strainers which are all bronze. THe pont being you need to be really mindfull of electrolysis that mixing various will cause especially in salt water although the same thing can happen in fresh water. The water is an electrolyte and will propagate the problem. Make sure you have a total bonding system with full continuity--that is different from grounding system.

Unfortunately I got to know way too much about electrolysis last year. It cast me a pair of complete TRS drives and a war with insurance company and marina. BTW--I lost.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:36 PM
Registered

electrolysis, something i never thought about, the housing is stainless, the stainless fittings should be ok? "Make sure you have a total bonding system with full continuity--that is different from grounding system." can you elaborate?
Old 03-02-2005, 12:50 PM
Registered

I collected a bucnh of stuff on subject---it is voodoo science---but essential. I'll see if i can find it on my machine at home and post it or email it to you. I believe mercruiser talks about it in some detail also.

Check out this link-- http://www.islandnet.com/robb/marine.html

A marine bonding system uses a light green wire and connects all the tru hull stuff and more.

I'll see if I still have all that horro story stuff and let you knw.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:31 PM
Registered

i personally only use hardin marine strainers, with no 90's at all, radius-ed or not. instead i find a way to radius the hose instead. always use s.s with s.s, bronze to bronze etc,,,, . dissimilar metal will reek havoc. what speeds are you running that will also tell you the capacity, height, and a few other details to help with your installation.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:32 AM
Registered

We only use stainless marine sea strainers. They have a few different sey ups to buy.We only run a barbed fitting out of the strainers for the hose, double ss clamps and allow the hose to bend. Make shure you have a high quality shut of vavle before the strainers. You should have one out of the transom. If they ever decide to poo on you , it will be nasty. make shure they are easy to get to.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:46 AM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran my input lines around back of my strainers with a long sweeping bend that you can't see in the pictures but if you look close you can see the line go into the void area and then attach to the valve at the strainer input. I did the same for both sides.
Attached Thumbnails sea strainers install?-pq-rebuild-047.jpg   sea strainers install?-pq-rebuild-048.jpg