Ok maybe a different way........ >

Ok maybe a different way........

Notices

Ok maybe a different way........

Old 10-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ok maybe a different way........

Ok I have to get this off my mind. It was great hanging in Chattanooga all weekend and seeing old friends and racers. OPA did a great job as well as Pop. It was one of the best race sites I have ever attended. The current GPS, big motor , prop down , dry sump , huge power and stare at the GPS works for some but I still feel there is a better way to race. Yes I failed miserably at the ORL deal this Spring. Nobody would bite. It's obvious sealed motors aren't the way to go. Mercury is out of racing as far as the smaller open cockpit boats 24-30 ft. The engine builders are back in and they should be. So why doesn't some organization atleast run minimum weights, put engine rules/ specs back in, go back to pre/post race inspections, run WOTand put some art back into the smaller classes. I can't believe I even care but I just can't let it go.

A-Class was incredible ten years ago. How do you like this list of registered A-Class boats in 1996? Info by Phantom1.

Ale House Racing
Archer Marine Scarab
Ballistic
Breathless
Christie's Photographic
Cool Running
Damn Donzi the New Generation
Duces-R-Wild
Excalibur
Final Notice
Final Persuasion
Flash Point
Fortune and Glory
Frank's Marine
Hart Throb
La Baby Argentina
Mediamaster
Mr. Zip
No Limits
Not Guilty II
Off Limits
Optical Illusion
Pantera Racing
Performance Marine
Phantaseas
Pitman Photo Express
Powerplay Racing
Pure Energy
Quarter King
Rain-X Express
Scatterbrain
Shogun
SMG Express
Standing Room Only
Stressed Out
Subluxator
Tabu
Team Chicago
Team Exciter
Team Hardcore
Team Hogs Breath
Team Intercoastal
Team Progression
Team Saber
Team Thoroughbred
Tina-Team Mean Green
VIS Auto Finance
What's Instore
Wizard of Oz
Old 10-16-2007, 08:14 AM
Registered

I have talked to some who are considering a single engine class with a power/weight ratio formula. This way no matter what motor you have you can run.

There are a lot of details that need to be worked out. Motors would have to be dyno'ed and then the weight of the boat would be calculated based on the dyno HP.

I agree, all out single engine class racing is very exciting, the question is what is the formula to make it work.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:39 AM
Racer
Racer

It has to be cheap and easy. Easy for the teams and inspectors. How about, one gear ratio and measure the sweet spot speed. For example, in class 2 it would be 60-90mph. Then add weight to the quicker boats. The boats get run with 2 prop sizes before the first race and the engines are sealed. Then add weight to the quicker boats. The min weight for that specific boat gets marked on the transom and everyone monitors each other at the crane.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

All good points taken but no speed restrictions. Let the best prepared team win. Surely somebody can make this happen. Keep the motors simple enough so we can afford them and they will last. Rough water will be the equalizer in the end!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:14 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by Wahoo ATV
It has to be cheap and easy.

19 foot Bayliners with small block Chevy's/Alphas

Old 10-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wahoo ATV
It has to be cheap and easy. Easy for the teams and inspectors. How about, one gear ratio and measure the sweet spot speed. For example, in class 2 it would be 60-90mph. Then add weight to the quicker boats. The boats get run with 2 prop sizes before the first race and the engines are sealed. Then add weight to the quicker boats. The min weight for that specific boat gets marked on the transom and everyone monitors each other at the crane.
This would work in a long distance offshore race. On a 5 mile course with turns, weight never seems to work.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:19 AM
VIP Member

I think what you are forgetting, is the water. Flat water is the GPS nightmare. In the rough, it is not even a factor. If those boats in Chattanooga were all wide open on that long flat coarse, half of them would have exploded. Our attrition rate is minimal due to chipping back the engines. This is the reason for the number of boats at the events. Example Papa Dukes ran two complete seasons on One motor, and it's still running. We are after good competitive racing while keeping the costs minimal. Answer is more rough water, but then you destroy the hulls.
The problem in Offshore has always been the constant changing of rules and equipment. There has never been any consistancy. Well guess what....as far as OPA goes....Consistancy rules. NO CHANGES ON MY WATCH............Smitty

Last edited by Wazzup Racing; 10-16-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Registered

I think there are a lot of boats in OPA that are in there limites..I think its up to the officals to make the call if a boat is sandbagging or propped so far down with big HP that there acceleration is so quick that no boat stands a chance, It shoud be up to the officals to make the call to move that boat up in class or add weight....

We have had great racing in Class 3 this year and both us and Wanted can not hit the 95 mph speed...

I think you are right on the acceleration numbers.....to water test a boat is good for the sport to keep the boats in line....but checking the acceleration speed is just as important...keeping those numbers some what close to all other boats in that class would make it much better racing....

With a possible brake down of:

Class 6 - 50 to 70 mph acc. time
Class 5 - 55 to 75 mph acc. time
Class 4 - 65 to 85 mph acc. time
Class 3 - 75 to 95 mph acc. time
Class 2 - 75 to 100 mph acc. time
Class 1 - 80 to 110 mph acc. time

If there were a big differance in acceleration times from one boat whos is always winning to the rest of the fleet....that would be something to look at....
Just my opinion.....

Last edited by MANITIE; 10-16-2007 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
All good points taken but no speed restrictions. Let the best prepared team win. Surely somebody can make this happen. Keep the motors simple enough so we can afford them and they will last. Rough water will be the equalizer in the end!
Pull the 2003 rule book and go from there. A centrally located race with one of the existing groups, couple of months into the season could be interesting. You might be surprised who shows up if the cost can be kept low and someone finds some prize money. Even a good grudge match might draw out the boats. Corpus Christi would be great. Why isn't one of the groups racing Corpus? Thats some bad ass water, a good venue, and nice people.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Racer
Racer

My question is, why fix something that isn't broken?
In rough water, the GPS works pretty much to see if you have completed your laps and stayed on the course. In flat water it requires concentration to keep your speed under control. So whats the problem? OPA has had a perfect year, safe, well attended and growing larger every minute, while still remaining a group that helps one and other and still laughs and has a good time. If these A class and Spec classes and other systems were the answer why are they gone? I'm not knocking anyones opinions, I just think time would be better spent helping Smitty with whats working right now.

Louie the Rigger
"Strictly Business 206"
Class 2 National Champions
Chattanooga Mile Speed Record Holders
and Course Record Holders

PS gotta go get a new helmet, this one shrunk!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.