Ok maybe a different way........

Notices

Ok maybe a different way........

Old 10-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete B
Sean,
Thanks for serving OUR country! The P1 seems to be a very popular source as to racing style. Keep in mind all the big U.S maufacturer's are getting boats into the mix, Why? Its not that they are cheap to build, its the expousure. Time will tell If the boats going there will force out the less competitive boats, and then have the same problem as here.
Pete,

First of all, my pleasure.

Second, you have an excellent point. The P1 rules are in their infancy and as a few of the folks at the Portugal race told me...motorsports is huge in Europe...so they have a different market in which to expose the sport. So possibly in time their boats may become less competitive among each other and they'll be forced to change their rules as well. Maybe it's the nature of our sport...rules need to change to accommodate the changes in technology. I do agree, time will tell.

Sean
Old 10-16-2007, 03:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MANITIE
Not to shed glume on P1 in Europe...but OPA's Class 4, 5 and 6 have better boat counts then they do.....
Plus your starting to see if your not in a newer Fountain or Outerlimites, your old boat is going to be running in the back of the pack....

The biggest Classes this year in the World have been in OPA.
Some of the closes racing this year has been in OPA...

Even in spec racing....if you don't keep up with the latest and best equipment...you will be left behind....

What Org today has boats that are 1 to 2 years old competing against 10,15 or even 20 year old boats and still running deck to deck....

A good example of that is the Bounty Hunter boat.....if its flat you will see the longest faces on them guys.....if its rough...you swear them guys were 10 years old at X-mas time....

Leave it to the people running the Org. to keep racing fair....
We all have the opertunity to talk to Smitty on any issue along with J.C and Ron P.
Gino,

From what I've heard, I would think the lower boat count in P1 is due to the cost. It is significantly more expensive to run a circuit that encompasses the travel of P1. We could probably best equate it to us running a circuit all across the U.S., not just the regional areas our organizations focus on...and I don't see a lot of our U.S. teams going coast-to-coast. But if that's all there was, do you think our boat counts would be as high? Also, although I was not able to confirm what it costs to be associated with P1, I do understand it's expensive..but the few folks I talked to agreed it was well worth it. Look at the exposure P1 has...world-wide...what manufacturer wouldn't want that exposure? I also know P1 is probably not for us "grass roots" racers either.

Also...the year of the boat is irrelevant if the horsepower to weight ratio is the same. Although new technologies in hull design can make a difference.

Now having been to the P1 World Championship and our Key West, they don't compare. As soon as we entered Portugal we knew about the race (equate that to entering the State of Florida). Their race village had sponsor displays and a kids zone. Oh yea...I don't think the helicopters circling their race course were safety choppers, but instead camera choppers broadcasting the race live to the big screens at the race village, the pits and on the equivalent of their boardwalk with the play-by-play from announcers. Maybe P1 gave me a vision of what offshore racing in the States could be...or maybe a reminder of what it was.

Sean

Team Gallagher Offshore Racing
SBI/APBA P5-99
www.tgor.net

Last edited by TGOR; 10-16-2007 at 03:41 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:25 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by Smiklos
The original concept (before we created the Mercury monster)
was to have an all cast iron engine that was limited by wet cast iron exhaust. The exhaust is very limiting it required rubber hose to the tip that was crushable. We also looked at a $5-7K claim to control costs.

If something was to be today I would think you need to allow hp 500 carb and EFI because so many boats have them.
Steve
The Claiming rule really help slow down the cost in Amateur Motocross. You had Factory backed 15yrs racing full on “works bikes”... That all changed overnight when the AMA implemented the claim rule were any other racer could “claim” another bike for twice the retail value or something along that line. I’m not sure if it would work in boat racing but it may. Have 6 Different claim prices for each class…

So who do I make out the check to for 1 of Crockets Motors…
Old 10-16-2007, 04:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2 Trick Rick
The Claiming rule really help slow down the cost in Amateur Motocross. You had Factory backed 15yrs racing full on “works bikes”... That all changed overnight when the AMA implemented the claim rule were any other racer could “claim” another bike for twice the retail value or something along that line. I’m not sure if it would work in boat racing but it may. Have 6 Different claim prices for each class…

So who do I make out the check to for 1 of Crockets Motors…
You'll make the check out to Tyler Crockett and to Joker Performance Boats for the new hull - haha. All good feedback here guy's and once again not trying to start trouble or make anybody mad. How can we grow a professional motorsport when it's bracket racing? In other forms of motorsports bracket racing is amateur.

Yes OPA had the best boats counts but it's not what I would call anything like 1999-2003. I can remember 100+ boats at races and the drivers meeting took forever just to do roll call.

Why can't we have a class with:

1. Mininum weight (which i believe is an art form setting up the boat)
2. 500 hp limit and torque limit.
3. A solid claiming prop and engine rule.

I'm only suggesting this to 24 to 30 ft open cockpit boats. The big dawg , big dollar guy's can keep their rules. The GPS guy's can also keep their place. Surely somebody can make this happen. Obviously I couldn't but I'm ready to jump on somebody elses plan.

We have Tyler , Innovation and Pfaff that would step up I'm sure.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:40 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
It's not as much as speed as cost involved too. I'm not trying to start trouble or make anybody mad here either. There has to be a better way. If you don't have the most expensive engine w/ the unbelieveable torque , you'll get left at the start and in the turns. One reason I'm bringing this up is I'm building a new boat to race next year and I'm not putting a dry sump , 700+ hp engine in it to run a GPS class that is goverened by speed.. I don't blame the racers today either , they're doing what they can to have a playing field and compete.
Hey Joker,
Wazzup, Wahoo and Strictly Business are class 2 and all have 525's. For us to step up our game we have to become better racers and dail our boat in to the max, a wrong prop choice or set up can lose a race. We have run with Cats, V-hulls with big power and in the end class 2 has leveled itself off with a nudge or 2 from Smitty, some teams went up a class, some went down and all are very competitive where they wound up. There is always going to be controversy over who is building the better mouse trap, GPS no GPS, rough water, calm water to me it's all good, rough water run slow and get beat up, calm water run fast don't spin out or break out, its a challenge anyway it goes. Your right with the playing field, its the most important part at this point, Louie
Old 10-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by louietherigger
Hey Joker,
Wazzup, Wahoo and Strictly Business are class 2 and all have 525's. For us to step up our game we have to become better racers and dail our boat in to the max, a wrong prop choice or set up can lose a race. We have run with Cats, V-hulls with big power and in the end class 2 has leveled itself off with a nudge or 2 from Smitty, some teams went up a class, some went down and all are very competitive where they wound up. There is always going to be controversy over who is building the better mouse trap, GPS no GPS, rough water, calm water to me it's all good, rough water run slow and get beat up, calm water run fast don't spin out or break out, its a challenge anyway it goes. Your right with the playing field, its the most important part at this point, Louie
The boats you mention are canopied and don't even relate to what I'm talking about. 24 to 30 ft open cockpit , grass roots racers is where I fit in.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 226 Likes on 88 Posts

Okay.....let me step into the middle of this.

It is only an idea that the old guys at HORBA have been kicking around and it still has a lot more development needed, but we kind of feel, that you can have your cake and eat it too.

After attending a few races, we noticed that on Saturday, everyone uses that time to dial in the boats and get ready for the Sunday afternoon races.

We are toying with the idea that we could have 4 classes.......just wait and hear me out.

Each class would have a spec boat in a specific size.

The boats ( hulls and decks ) would be sold by HORBA at a specific weight. The teams could then take them and rig them to the rules, using whatever they may have for equipment, new or used.

Class S would be 24 foot single engine, sterndrive or outboard.
Class T would be 30 foot twin engine, sterndrives or outboards.
Both Classes S & T could only use a small block engine with one spec carb and a spec exhaust system.

Any drive, except #6's.

Class Open would be 35 feet with twin big block sterndrives, with one spec carb and spec exhaust.

Any drive execept # 6's

The races for these classes would be held on a regular race weekend on Saturday morning, starting at 10 AM.
Classes S & T race for 120 miles.....200 Kilo
Class Open race for 180 miles.....300 Kilo

The course would be along the beach for 30 miles, out into open ocean for 15 miles and back the other way for 30 miles and then in for 15 miles to the beach again.

This gives a 90 mile distance. For the Open class, they would do two laps.

For the classes S & T, after the first 90 miles, the remaining 30 miles could be made up by a 15 mile leg out to a checkpoint boat in the ocean and back to the start / finish line.

Race time could be between 3 and 5 hours depending on conditions, plenty of daylight remains in the day. If you run into trouble you are only 15 miles offshore at most.

The 4th class....Historic, would be run on Sunday morning at 10 AM for a distance of 60 miles ...100 Kilos.

Any Historic race boat could compete. Only participation awards are given for Historic race boats, as they would be of such various engine HP and boat lengths, they could never be made equal.

The regular races could go on their normal schedule. Sunday afternoon. This open ocean stuff would just add to the fans enjoyment for the weekend. We are not trying to take anything away from today's racers, we are just trying to offer more....there may be some teams who would consider racing in both.

These open ocean races would be held under the regular race body sanction of whoever was running the races that weekend, all fees etc would go to them.

Obviously, these races could only be run at ocean venues or Great Lakes venues, that would allow a course out on the open lake.

This is the kind of open racing the sport was founded on. It is a great time, wide open running, if you can, over open ocean courses where you can't see land for 360 degrees.

This type of racing always allowed more people to participate. It is still a rough idea from HORBA, but we are continuing to work on it.

The photos below represent the designs and look of the three classes. All hulls would be non step designs.

Open Class would look just like this, twin engine big block racer.
Twin Class would be a 27 Magnum stretched to 30 feet with a deck design that would look just like this old 40 foot Cigarette design.
Single Class would be this hull with a Top Gun like deck.

Outboards would be bracket mounted.

And by the way, we have already thought about the guys that want to have bigger step boats and bigger engines and drives.....no problem, you can race on Sunday afternoon !!!

HORBA

www.historicraceboats.com
Attached Thumbnails Ok maybe a different way........-spirit0008a.jpg   Ok maybe a different way........-offshore-history0026a.jpg   Ok maybe a different way........-gonebananas25.jpg  

Old 10-16-2007, 08:16 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

1 weight
1 engine
1 drive

I truly belive this combination is the answer to most of your questions. It dosn't matter who's engineit is, just that its the same engine or spec's for every engine. 496HO as it comes from mercury or an engine from someone like these guy's
http://www.1800runsnew.com/NLM/perf-....html#Base_540 or equivelent. or build your own engine
to specs like the old "A" Class , hell, there's enough HP500 out their.

Eddie
Old 10-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I'm right there w/ ya Eddie!
Old 10-16-2007, 09:19 PM
Racer
Racer

Originally Posted by Top Banana

The boats ( hulls and decks ) would be sold by HORBA at a specific weight. The teams could then take them and rig them to the rules, using whatever they may have for equipment, new or used.

HORBA

www.historicraceboats.com

Intresting, but were right back to buying a new boat.. I already have 2 ..LOL

Last edited by 2 Trick Rick; 10-16-2007 at 09:42 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.