Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
Who is planning on running GLSCS this year?? >

Who is planning on running GLSCS this year??

Notices

Who is planning on running GLSCS this year??

Old 05-05-2003, 08:14 AM
ragman

Race Teams Of the GLSCS.
The series is strong as ever. I'm sending out the Metro Beach
race packs later in the week,and there will be a letter from the series in the pack.
The series is staying netural on the MA/9mile.
The series is adding 2500.00 prize money to each race this year
to cover the P1-5 MUST HAVE THREE BOATS FOR FULL PAYOUT.
Watch the silvercupseries website later in the week for more updates.Any question about the metro race please pm.
Thanks
Mike Raguso
Race Chairman Metro Beach.

Old 05-05-2003, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by shoregasm
We have not decided one way or another yet. Still "waiting" on this new allocation of prize money to decide.
I think that everyone knows that if you are racing for price money only that you are in for the wrong reason, however, it seems to me that with the ratio of P-class boats to other classes, something should be done to even out the distribution of funds. Even in the national series about 50% of the turnout is with P-class.

Last year we would race for about $150 bucks even with 3 boats in our class ??? seems strainge.....

Team Offshoregasm
P4-14
Dave,

Hope to see you at the GLSCS events, stop by to say hi...

Pursuant the performance classes:
For good or bad, quantity doesn't really enter the equation. They were instituted to provide an introduction to offshore for potential racers by allowing them to run their pleasure boat in a racing environment and therefore, ultimately, purchase a race boat for competition and eventually move up the ladder in a safe, progressive manner. There was never supposed to be any prize money or significant recognition. Unfortunately, this has degenerated into a place for exhibition and race boats which are uncompetitive or which no longer meet current rules.

Instead of encouraging and movement up to professional classes, many of these folks remain mired in the "P" classes. Personally, I would like to see a time limit on the amount of seasons (maybe two) in which you would be allowed to remain in the performance class. At that time you would be obligated to move to one of the smaller professional classes. Your driving and conduct on the course would be reviewed by a group of professional peers, and you would be allowed to move up after passing review.

May not be the opinion of everyone, but it's mine.......

As far as making any money (or at least breaking even) in offshore, it can be done, I've been doing it for 18 years. It's called sponsors or marketing partners. Takes a lot of work, but I don't like to pay the expenses out of my pocket. Our team makes sponsor calls every day of the week. We're not in the business of boat racing, we're in the business of advertising, with the added bonus of getting to go fast in a boat. Got to have the right attitude. If you sit on your butt, we'll get the sponsors, not you. Sounds nasty, but it's a cut-throat business.

You won't do it with the prize purse untill you insist that the conducting organizations start increasing purses every year and start covering the TV cost. (and YES, you need the TV to keep your sponsors happy) Let's do the math. Clubs have, oh... maybe 50 members on average. If each member makes five (5) sponsor calls a week, that's 250 calls x 52 = 13,000 calls a year. If they only make two (2) calls a week, that's 5200 calls in a year. Really increases your odds and you can start increasing purses. As a racer, you can help too. If you talk to a potential sponsor and they seem hesitant, or turn you down, ask them to consider sponsoring a race or the whole series.

It *can* be frustrating for the organizations as well. I organized a divisional race in 1996 that *paid* $35,000.00 purse + $200.00 per boat tow money. Only had eight boats attend. We paid all $35K, distributed the extras evenly within even non-filled classes. Worst team got paid about $1800.00. (note to Sprauge: No it wasn't Hallet -- he got about $8K) Now, we're racing for what, $12K total?_ and only full classes get full payout. That means 2nd place doesn't even cover your entry fee........

Buy a OB cat and join us, plenty around that are reasonably priced. Cost a lot less to run and maintain than inboards. Most difficult to drive, although very rewarding. Probably faster than most folks want to go though.

Bill Reich
Team Extreme®™ Offshore Racing #30
Old 05-05-2003, 04:19 PM
Registered

Originally posted by team 30
Dave,

If you talk to a potential sponsor and they seem hesitant, or turn you down, ask them to consider sponsoring a race or the whole series.

This is so true. It is much easier to sell sponsorships for an event or a Series. Find a sponsor and work a deal with the race promotor. I know if anyone found a sponsor or marketing partner for the Cincinnati Race June 13-15, we would make it well worth their while.

Terrah Lee
Old 05-05-2003, 09:53 PM
Registered

F1-44 will be back