Small amount boat loans? >

Small amount boat loans?

Notices

Small amount boat loans?

Old 07-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small amount boat loans?

Does anybody out there provide decent terms for a boat loan on something 10k or less? I know theres always the personal loan, but I would like to actually get a 60mt or longer boat loan for that amount.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:37 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would get absolutely killed with interest on that loan.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Gladhe8er
You would get absolutely killed with interest on that loan.
You'd pay about 2k over the life of the loan at 8%. The difference between 6 and 8% is only about 15 bucks a month.

That isn't HORRIBLE - no different than a car loan. Try to pay it off so it doesn't go to maturity. Pay an extra 1k a year to it somehow and you will only pay about 1500 in interest and pay it off in 3.5 years.

If it gets you in a boat I say go for it.... Try a local Bank. The rate may be a little higher than you want, but it won't kill you on a monthly basis.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

you might try a bigger loan...keeping cash in pocket for those "new boat" needs...essex credit will do loans in the 20's at a reasonable rate. have you tried "Boat US"?
hey glad...scarab's gone? nice AT, where do you run? i'm over in branford.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PDub6s
Does anybody out there provide decent terms for a boat loan on something 10k or less? I know theres always the personal loan, but I would like to actually get a 60mt or longer boat loan for that amount.
Paul, call me 770-294-5356 i may have a solution, Eric
Old 07-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

I think Key Bank is the only boat loan company that will do loans as low as $10K. I say go for if it gets you into a boat - sometimes you have to crawl before you can walk right. Get a good down payment so you can fire sale if the worst should happen. Do A LOT OF SHOPPING and get something you can hopefully make your money back on 2-3 years down the road. Don't get a project
Old 07-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ChristianGott
you might try a bigger loan...keeping cash in pocket for those "new boat" needs...essex credit will do loans in the 20's at a reasonable rate. have you tried "Boat US"?
hey glad...scarab's gone? nice AT, where do you run? i'm over in branford.
Sold the Scarab in November and bought the AT in December! I also moved to Stratford in November, so I launch out of there now(I lived in Norwalk last year). I just chimed in on the Sutphen forum about Sunday. Maybe I'll head over to Claudios with you guys...
Old 07-09-2008, 09:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by seafordguy
You'd pay about 2k over the life of the loan at 8%. The difference between 6 and 8% is only about 15 bucks a month.

That isn't HORRIBLE - no different than a car loan. Try to pay it off so it doesn't go to maturity. Pay an extra 1k a year to it somehow and you will only pay about 1500 in interest and pay it off in 3.5 years.

If it gets you in a boat I say go for it.... Try a local Bank. The rate may be a little higher than you want, but it won't kill you on a monthly basis.
True...I guess I was looking at it as a percentage of the initial loan. Like you said, since it's a pretty small loan, you might be able to pay it off early and save yourself some cash.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:36 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

A loan that small is going to have a higher interest rate then 6-8%. I would guess more 11-12 range, if you can find someone (boat lender) to do it.

Someone mentioned getting a larger loan and pocket the extra. Nice thought, but the boat has to book out for the amount requested.

local bank is going to be your best bet, however if there is something perventing you from going that route, and the normal marine lenders can't help, find someone that deals with Medallion Bank, Merrick, or American General. Their interest rates are crazy, but make sure you can afford to pay it off early and get on the water.

You may also want to give Suntrust a call