Heat Seat Issue

Notices

Heat Seat Issue

Old 08-14-2007, 09:42 PM
jns
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat Seat Issue

I have a 06 Heat that now has 60 hours on it. We have an issue with the bench seat getting soaked and oozing a brownish looking stuff out and running down the forward facing panel beneath the bench. Also drips out onto carpet. Vinyl Sauce cleans it up great but anything under the bench is a sticky mess. Fenders, etc. I put some high tech duct tape along the edge and it controls it but still comes out the ends. (Tape is not visible!)
Talked with Nordic and they have no clue. Looks like resin or glue?
Am considering having the foam replaced. Wonder if under warranty?
Anyone else have this or is it just the water from the Ohio River?
Jeff
Old 08-15-2007, 08:28 AM
Registered

Did you buy new or pre-owned?
Old 08-15-2007, 05:34 PM
jns
Registered

Default Heat Seat

New! Grunningers near St Louis.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:07 PM
Registered

Did u have any standing water on your top that has leaked threw to ur bench seat ? I had the same issue with my rage when it rains , does ur seat feel extra heavy? I was able to suck some of the water out with a shop vac that helped a little but that thick foam takes a long time to dry out (even here in az) my experiance is the foam is just saturated and when u sit back their that dirty water just leaks down the front . Just my two cents!!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:09 PM
jns
Registered

I really appreciate your input. No standing water though. This is our 4th boat (first Nordic) and I have never seen this yet. Considering having the foam taken out and replaced but shrinkwrapped prior to reinstalling upholstery?
I guess I was wondering if Nordic may be using something different being in a dryer climate vs other manufacturers building for more diverse weather?
I hope I am not coming acoss as too critical with this though and want all to know this is the finest boat I have owned. Am considering selling and moving to a 525 or larger though. Was at New River area three weeks ago and had people stopping as we uncovered in hotel lot to talk. Took hours to get to the lake!
NC Fountain owner was awstruck with the lines.
Thank you to all!
Cheers to Nordic!
Old 08-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Registered

I have the same problem with my 03' rage, it drives me nuts that I can clean the seats and come back and it's dirty again. I can't leave the seat up to let the compartment dry out because it makes it worse. The stitching has come loose in the seams so I think water enters there and stays in the foam. I am considering replacing the foam and vinyl and see if it helps.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jns
I have a 06 Heat that now has 60 hours on it. We have an issue with the bench seat getting soaked and oozing a brownish looking stuff out and running down the forward facing panel beneath the bench. Also drips out onto carpet. Vinyl Sauce cleans it up great but anything under the bench is a sticky mess. Fenders, etc. I put some high tech duct tape along the edge and it controls it but still comes out the ends. (Tape is not visible!)
Talked with Nordic and they have no clue. Looks like resin or glue?
Am considering having the foam replaced. Wonder if under warranty?
Anyone else have this or is it just the water from the Ohio River?
Jeff
Jeff,

What the problem is, is that NORDIC doesn't wrap the seats with plastic before they put the vynil on, so the seats soak up all the water that is waked into the boat. I think it is a west coat thing. I know when i lived in Las Vegas and boated on Mead we always found a day camp and skied and swam from shore. When we moved to Texas everyone ties their boats together and swims from the boat so a lot more water comes in the boat and onto the seats. putting plastic under the viynil should take care of the problem.

Last edited by TX_Instigator; 08-21-2007 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Registered

I talked to Mike at Nordic today, he seems to think that the brown water is coming fron the chemicals in the plywood that was used to make the seat. It is standard marine plywood that is treated and it must be staying wet enough for the chemicals to seep out. In two weeks from now, all Nordics produced will be wood-free, but did not say that they were doing this to correct this problem because he claimes that they have not had this problem before. I live outside of New Orleans, and I use my boat every week so it stays damp on the inside, popssibly causing this problem with the wood.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:44 PM
jns
Registered

Thank you all for your replies. We also tie boats together and raft so we probably get the interior wetter than most others as well. I am thinking of rebuilding the seat with cellular PVC to eliminate the plywood and wrapping the "new" foam in something before putting back together. Over the winter of course! PITA for a new boat though!
I appreciate all of the feed back!
Old 08-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I agree. It is water getting to the treated plywood. covering the foam and therfore the plywood with plastic sheeting under the vinyl will eliminate this. I have the same problem with my Rage but with the engine hatch. I always raise the hatch at the end of the day to allow the colored water drain out onto the stern which I wipe up. This is has become my normal practice to keep the plywood as dry as possible.

Originally Posted by electric504
I talked to Mike at Nordic today, he seems to think that the brown water is coming fron the chemicals in the plywood that was used to make the seat. It is standard marine plywood that is treated and it must be staying wet enough for the chemicals to seep out. In two weeks from now, all Nordics produced will be wood-free, but did not say that they were doing this to correct this problem because he claimes that they have not had this problem before. I live outside of New Orleans, and I use my boat every week so it stays damp on the inside, popssibly causing this problem with the wood.