Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Hull issue? Torque issue? Weight issue? >

Hull issue? Torque issue? Weight issue?

Notices

Hull issue? Torque issue? Weight issue?

Old 07-21-2005, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hull issue? Torque issue? Weight issue?

Posted else where but didn't get much response so decided to post here. More traffic.

Have a single engine 02 252 Baja islander.

Problem is boat leans extreamly bad to the port side when heavy wind (around 10mph or more) hits on the port side. But doesn't lean at all to the starboard side when heavy wind hits on the starboard side. And when I mean extream feels like the boat will beat the Sh!! out of you or roll over. The boat will not straighten up at all once up and running always have to run with the port tab down. Running dead into the wind, running with the wind or if the wind hits on the starboard side it still has alittle lean to it

Could this just be a torque issue?
Hull leans alittle when calm out from on plane all the way WOT. Was told this is normal since I have a rebuilt 502 putting out around 450 to 500 hp. But this did this when I had the 6.2 (320 hp).

Could this be a weight issue?
I don't think so becuase this did this before I ever had anything extra at all in the boat (just thought it was my heavy salesmen 350 lbs that was on the boat for the test runs). Also when I still had the 6.2 in the boat took a group of people out on the boat and it was windy and wind was hitting on the port side and it was leaning bad had everyone get on the drivers side and that didn't correct the problem. Still leaned.

Could a left hand prop help or make it worse? Tried 3 blade RH and 4 Blade RH. I don't have a LH to try yet.

Could it be the rocker in the hull, hook or screwed up hull?
I know for sure the hull has hook in it on both sides.(was put there at the factory). And it does have some rocker in it on the port side.
Could these cause it to lean more in the conditions discribed above?

Should a boat lean this bad? Would think that it would lean the same to the starboard side if the wind is hitting on the starboard side.

I did take the boat to the dealer to check the leaning issue once but it was on a calm day. So they said the little lean it did have was because of torque. Going to be taking it back for some other issues.

Sorry so long winded but does anyone have any Ideas or am I just crazy?

Russ