Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Powerquest
A familiar subject - the POS hatch ram that PQ is apparently in love with... >

A familiar subject - the POS hatch ram that PQ is apparently in love with...

Notices

A familiar subject - the POS hatch ram that PQ is apparently in love with...

Old 05-10-2005, 09:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A familiar subject - the POS hatch ram that PQ is apparently in love with...

Back when we had our '99 280, I liked everything about the boat except the POS hatch ram. Looks like our '96 290 is cut from the same cloth...

The hatch ram is so weak (or draws so much current) that it will not raise the hatch unless one of the motors is running, and even then it is no speed demon. Has anyone found a solution to this issue? Is there a decent replacement for this piece?

I've never seen another boat with this issue; we know folks that have Formulas, Sonics, etc, and none have this crappy hatch-opening deal....
Old 05-10-2005, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Re: A familiar subject - the POS hatch ram that PQ is apparently in love with...

I have a 1999 290 and it had the same problem ,I replaced it with a lenco actuator and now works fine.
Old 05-10-2005, 04:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: A familiar subject - the POS hatch ram that PQ is apparently in love with...

I've noted the same issue. Just thought it was me or weak batteries. Being I just bought the boat I haven't had a chance to try with the engine running to see the difference. If it's that slow all the time I think its going to get old real quick.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:47 PM
Charter Member #30
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

You must rewire the actuator!!!

The power comes from the dash switch
run the power wire from the dash switch to power a relay instead then run a larger wire from the batt switch to the actuator motor.
this will solve the problem. Make sure to run a fuse or breaker in the circuit.

I also ran new larger supply wiring one for each side to the dash circuit so when I use any trim pumps or turn stuff on and off the gauges don't wig out and the lights don't dim way down.
I hope they got their act together with dash wiring in the newer boats
Old 05-10-2005, 08:59 PM
Registered

I was planning to redo the dash this winter anyhow, might as well go for broke...
Old 05-11-2005, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 217 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott
You must rewire the actuator!!!

The power comes from the dash switch
run the power wire from the dash switch to power a relay instead then run a larger wire from the batt switch to the actuator motor.
this will solve the problem. Make sure to run a fuse or breaker in the circuit.

I also ran new larger supply wiring one for each side to the dash circuit so when I use any trim pumps or turn stuff on and off the gauges don't wig out and the lights don't dim way down.
I hope they got their act together with dash wiring in the newer boats
Scott
did you run thicker ground and power wires to the dash?
for gauge flickering issues? and how did you go about doing it?
Old 05-11-2005, 08:11 AM
Registered

This sounds like a common source to many of the problems on these boats. My old 280 did the dashboard jiggy whenever I used the drive trim or the tabs. Sounds like the whole power system needs to be rethought.

Would it be better to set up a power distribution device (bus?) in the engine compartment, then just run wire to each switch rather than route the power through the switches? Am I explaining this correctly? I want the switch to control the flow of power, not to route the power to the device, right?
Old 05-11-2005, 10:26 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike you need one of these:
http://www.eddiemarine.com/cart/deta...&CategoryID=46
They work great!

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 05-11-2005, 10:36 AM
Registered

Thanks Bill. I just *know* I'm gonna dump a bunch of money into this boat, only to decide to sell it. Sound familiar?
Old 05-11-2005, 12:11 PM
Registered

I've got a '02 280 and have had no problems.At the risk of insulting you,have you disassembled it and greased the jack screw?Royal purple syn grease works great.I'm sure any grease will do.If not,the relay thing will work.BOB

Quick Reply: A familiar subject - the POS hatch ram that PQ is apparently in love with...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.