Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Prop Question

ttt
Old 05-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by outcastyj
I am not even getting 70 out of her and I know the props have some dings in them and are 16 years old. How bad can that hurt my top end? Suggestions?
16 year old props Imagine running 16 year old tires on your car.
Props are a MAJOR contributor to the performance of a boat especially if your going for a top MPH number. If your props have been in use for 16 years and never looked at and tuned you will have no idea what they actually are. They will flatten out and loose their pitch with use. If they are dinged you will create air pockets and it becomes inefficient. If they are out of balance you will be putting excess wear on you lowers etc.
Personally I would buy a new set from BBlades or Throttle-Up and have them check the "brand new" for pitch, balance and consistency across the blades. I would have those shipped to me and get good solid GPS, RPM, MPH, weight etc so they no what they have to do or can try with you old props and hopefully improve again. You end up with two sets so the next time you get a ding you can send them to have them cleaned and not be down.
Just my opinion.
Good luck and be sure to keep us posted.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tantrum,

I have to agree with you on this. As 16 year old propellers are not good candidates for labbing. Starting anew is the way to go.

Julie
Old 05-29-2006, 10:31 PM
Registered

hi,maybe you guys can help me with my prop situation?i recently bought a 28 aero-tek with a 509 bbc and a 1.5 bravo.when i bought the boat it had a 25p solid hub mirage on it and the guy i bought the boat from said he never tried a different prop on it.so i tested the boat with the 25 mirage and it ran 71.3 on gps at 4800.a friend allowed me to use his 26 4 blade bravo1 prop that has been labbed and the boat ran [email protected] after talking to my local prop guy he had me purchase a 24p 4 blade power-tec prop and it ran 71.6 at 5500.when i went to pickup my new prop i took the old 3 blade w\me so he could take a look at it and he said someone had put alot of cup in the prop(probably why it wouldnt turn up?)im a top end guy and would like the boat to run 77-78 mph.should i switch back to a 3 blade or ?the boat weights 5100lbs.the motor is a beck racing engine 509 makes 607hp at 5900,peak torque is at 4800.has a 1.5 bravo.the 4 blades seem to give the boat good stable lift but i cant seem to get th mph im looking for,any ideas would be appreeciated,thx!
Old 06-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Tantrum
16 year old props Imagine running 16 year old tires on your car.
Never thought about it that way. I guess I need to save up for some props.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:49 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 46 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile Re: Prop Question

BIG SLICK,

Sorry for missing your post.

The boat likes 3blade props. Your efficiency was the best with the Mirage. If the prop can be turned high enough you will see the speed. (I wonder if the Bravo 1 had been reworked at some time?)

What rpm do you need to achieve with your engine configuration?