Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
    My Boats:
    Sonic 31SS

Hull Blueprinting

I never noticed this before, but I discovered my boat has about a 1/8" hook at the back of the hull. It's so uniform that I wonder if it was designed that way for planing and stability.

Has anyone had their 31SS hull blueprinted to get it perfectly straight? I'm considering this, but don't want to cause negative results.
    Last edited by Plum_Crazy; 03-18-2010 at 12:37 PM.

My Boats:
    Sonic 31SS
    I finally received a response from Sonic...

"Dan,
    Just spoke w/Bruce and that is an integral part of the design which
    enables it to run smoothly w/different power options.
    Lollie"

and

"Dan,
    Bruce does not recommend doing so and he says with the 496HOs you're
    probably going to get around 75mph max.
    Lollie"

Well, I'm already at 75. But, I'm still curious if anyone has ever removed this hook.
    Last edited by Plum_Crazy; 03-18-2010 at 02:44 PM.

Z06
    Registered Platinum Member
    My Boats:
    2002 Sonic 31ss
    I thought when I straight edged my hull the very bottom center was straight and the hook was between the chimes and the rising strake. I didn't have the hull blueprinted but I did have a couple small gelcoat chips and some scratches filled. I then used a buffer and 3M finese-it II on the entire bottom to bring it back to new condition.
    Your 31ss hull must still be like new given the speeds your running. Hope someone else chimes in on the blueprinting and/or removing the slight hook along with sharpening the transom to hull edge on a 31ss... I've considered the same.
    Last edited by Z06; 03-18-2010 at 11:48 PM.

Registered
    My Boats:
    45SS Sonic 600's EFI's
    Hook and Rocker is the same as caster and camber and toe-in in a car. If you remove all the toe in and run straight up caster - camber your car will be faster but you will be chasing the car with the steering wheel, in others words it will be all over the place. Your boat will do the same. You need a certian amout of hook and rocker, I would think that depending on the hull type will depend on how much you might need. (Multi-step, single step no step).